2005 Sequoia - Broke timing belt so swapping with 2005 Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Folks,

My 2005 Sequoia with 240K miles broke a timing belt at 40k miles on it . . . tragic. I am in the middle of swapping out my engine for one from a 171K 2005 Tundra. Things are going well so far. A little trouble getting the upper bellhousing bolts loose, but I made it past that. I just finished swapping the wiring harnesses as the tranny portion is really different between the traction control Sequoia and the Tundra.

Question . . . do I have to swap flywheels? Before I pulled the motor on the Sequoia, I marked where the flywheel mated with the torque converter. I see that each flywhere has a colored dot on it. Are these things custom balanced or designed for each other? What do you think?

First off: What belt (brand) did you use? And are you convinced damage occurred? Just professional curiosity...

That's a good question about those colored dots and someone may correct me but that's probably a good assumption about the initial balance procedure done by Toyota, I would be interested into looking into that. If you want to be anal about it, keeping the flywheel with the torque converter isn't a bad idea.

My opinion, your not going to get any weird vibes from mismatched parts like that, unless of course your disassembly procedure was crude or rough...which could have cause a bend or something perhaps. Do what you want, either will be fine.

I've never seen a cracked flywheel on a Toyota before, (mostly just GM) but whichever one you use take a close look at the mounting holes and surrounding surface for tiny cracks....I used to come across this from time to time and now I have a keen idea for it. Makes all kinds of noise and difficult to diagnose....and when you use a donor motor...who knows how it was pulled/stored/tossed around in the bed of a truck....haha

First off: What belt (brand) did you use? And are you convinced damage occurred? Just professional curiosity...

That's a good question about those colored dots and someone may correct me but that's probably a good assumption about the initial balance procedure done by Toyota, I would be interested into looking into that. If you want to be anal about it, keeping the flywheel with the torque converter isn't a bad idea.

My opinion, your not going to get any weird vibes from mismatched parts like that, unless of course your disassembly procedure was crude or rough...which could have cause a bend or something perhaps. Do what you want, either will be fine.

I've never seen a cracked flywheel on a Toyota before, (mostly just GM) but whichever one you use take a close look at the mounting holes and surrounding surface for tiny cracks....I used to come across this from time to time and now I have a keen idea for it. Makes all kinds of noise and difficult to diagnose....and when you use a donor motor...who knows how it was pulled/stored/tossed around in the bed of a truck....haha

The engine came straight out of a running 2005 Tundra, and I hauled it home and put it into the garage right away, so I am hoping all is well. I might keep the flywheel and torque converter synced up. It looks like they did a good job of extracting the motor without cutting anything. I hope all is well as this has been a long project.

Oh god; reading that the belt snapped 40k in makes me want to cry. How did the swap go?

Timing belt broke why?
I too would really like to know more about your last timing belt "brand/make" and why it broke. Was it a cheap NAPA belt or a AISIN or Toyota kit/belt? Did water pump or a idler or tensioner fail. Belt breaks' with even 250K miles and 20 year is rare, without some other cause. 40K mile failure is something else!

"flywheel and torque converter synced up":
I too am uncertain if flywheel (AKA: drive plate or flex plate) needs to be oriented to torque convert at pre set point (synced). I'll take a look at some markings I made on them, when I get a chance. But for now I first opened one of my older FSM to see what it said on the subject.

Notice FSM talks about one bolt being a different color and to install it first. During removal it's called a green bolt. During install it's called a black bolt. Sometimes the FSM are a PITA. But I do follow it, at least until I find reason not to.

Question is why this bolt? Only thing I come up with; is so when you've spun 360 degrees it's a marker to let one know they've come full circle. I've not seen anything stating to place bolt in certain hole or concerning orientation of drive plate to torque converter.

Removal
AT Removal drive plate - torque conveter.JPG

Install
AT install drive plate - torque conveter.JPG

BTW my FSM are for Land Cruisers & LX470 98-07.

In my 07LC FSM it doesn't say anything in the removal section, just gives that same bolt HINT during install and states green. Again no indication of why put in the colored bolt first or state anything about syncing. It does talk about inspecting run-out of torque converter and drive plate among things piroir to install!
AT 07 LC.JPG

Last edited:
The engine installed at it went well. I now have an issue I am trying to troubleshoot.

If you turn the key to start cranking the engine, if you release the key and the engine has not started yet, should the engine continue to crank?? Mine does. I am afraid that one the engine starts the starter continues to crank. The engine makes lots of noise when running, and I think it is coming from the back of the engine, Something started smoking from what looks like the back of the engine. I removed the driveplate inspection panel, and did not see anything strange . . . no oil, so metal flakes.

I have removed the connectors from the coil packs so the Sequoia won't start. When I try to start the motor and release the key, the engine contines to crank. When I pull ST (starter relay) while it is cranking, the engine stops cranking, but I hear what may still be the starter motor.

What I am trying to determine is what is that bad noise I am hearing, and why does something seem to be burning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom