2004 LC Without NAV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jim in my 2004 LX, I never use the screen to control the heat, air, auto temp control or the radio/DVD, I use the buttons below the Nav screen. I think my screen and nav system could quit working and I would still be able to have auto temp control, and radio/DVD, etc. I just would not be able to find my way home :) What are your thoughts on this??? Does this make the Nav potential failure a non issue?

You would certainly still be able to function without the screen, but would lose a number of things including:

1) Manual control over heat and AC.

2) Direct access to and (more importantly) the ability to change radio presets.

3) The ability to adjust the audio controls other than volume.

The me, losing the manual heating controls would be a big deal. Losing some of the audio functions would be less of a concern and losing navigation, the number of miles remaining on the tank, and a lot of the other fluff from the screen wouldn't be that huge a loss. I sort of like having the screen and the functions it provides, but I definitely would have opted not to get it and save some $$$ had it been an option.

Lets hope none of these guys ever by a Range Rover, they will have a nervous breakdown :)

Not really because with the Range Rover the system would fail frequently enough to always be covered by a warranty :D. All joking aside, this sort of thing would be my biggest concern purchasing any Land Rover product again. My '95 Discovery didn't have lots of electronics compared to what the current crop of Land Rovers have and it still had plenty of problems. Land Rover definitely isn't known for having reliable electronics.

I can't believe you guys worry about this stuff. I make a living wholesaling primarily Toyota/Lexus, and I've never seen a failed unit; nor have any of the dealers I know. We're definitely talking ultra-ultra-ultra rare occurrence.

I hope you are right. It just that it's an option I don't need and having to pay for it is one thing. Have to shell out 5K 10 years down the road when the truck is probably worth 10K is another thing.

Jim in my 2004 LX, I never use the screen to control the heat, air, auto temp control or the radio/DVD, I use the buttons below the Nav screen. I think my screen and nav system could quit working and I would still be able to have auto temp control, and radio/DVD, etc. I just would not be able to find my way home :) What are your thoughts on this??? Does this make the Nav potential failure a non issue?

If you use the "auto" button, I think that uses AC all the time, right? You could manipulate the temperature buttons (up/down) to change the temp. With the button on the far right, you can choose fresh, recirc, or fresh w/ smog sensor. The only thing you lose is the ability to choose where the air comes from (face only, face & feet, etc.). Unless I'm mistaken, I think you can only adjust that via the touchscreen.

when you start your auto temp mode, does it come up with full blast fan on usually?
driving my wife crazy...

I think you're referring to Gohawks63's 04LC. There was a TSB on the '04 nav's affecting a certain VIN range. It's not a random thing that happens to any LC/LX. As far as I know, they were problematic for the '04 LC only. And his warranty covered the new nav unit.

I think your chances of finding a '04 or newer LC w/o nav is about the same as finding a LC w/ cloth seats. Sure, the nav is an option, but it's one of those mandatory dealer options along w/ the roof rails, moonroof, and running boards they shove down your throat.

Awww, you guys remember me. :)

Jim is correct. Just for clarification, it wasn't the NAV unit that went out. The DVD-ROM drive is located under the passenger seat. The multi-function screen is what failed, and the problem is that the screen controls the HVAC, audio, trip computer, back-up camera, etc. When the unit failed, all those other features were inoperable. Not too fun when it's January with single digit temps. There was a TSB that called for a redesigned unit, and to my knowledge, there were no further issues. The cost of the part was $5,000, dealer showed me the invoice.

I belive Jim is also right about the non-Nav availability. I think most were shipped here with NAV. If you wanted one without, you probably had to special order it.

aedgington,

Off the top of your head, what are the most common failures?

And what are the significantly costly ones to fix out of those?

I can't believe you guys worry about this stuff. I make a living wholesaling primarily Toyota/Lexus, and I've never seen a failed unit; nor have any of the dealers I know. We're definitely talking ultra-ultra-ultra rare occurrence.

Power mirrors, power steering adjustment, manifolds, all of those are far, far more common failures. This fear of nav units is just weird.

You would certainly still be able to function without the screen, but would lose a number of things including:

1) Manual control over heat and AC.

2) Direct access to and (more importantly) the ability to change radio presets.

3) The ability to adjust the audio controls other than volume.

The me, losing the manual heating controls would be a big deal. Losing some of the audio functions would be less of a concern and losing navigation, the number of miles remaining on the tank, and a lot of the other fluff from the screen wouldn't be that huge a loss. I sort of like having the screen and the functions it provides, but I definitely would have opted not to get it and save some $$$ had it been an option.

Not this specific issue, it disabled the HVAC and audio. Not just manual controls. I received an error message stating "System not connected".

I wouldnt' worry about it too much guys. If I recall, I belive the Prius was covered under the same TSB, and despite there being a TSB issued, I really haven't heard about this happening that often. Mine went out when the veicle was barely two years old and since a TSB was issued, and a part redesigned already, they knew about it for a while. My guess is that if it were to fail, it would have happened already.

Last edited:
when you start your auto temp mode, does it come up with full blast fan on usually?
driving my wife crazy...

It depends on the temperature you have set. If it's hot and you hit the auto button, the AC will blast. If it's cold and you start w/ a cold engine, the fan won't turn on until the coolant has warmed up to prevent from blasting you with ice cold air. Still, when it's 107F outside and I get in the car, the quickest way to cool it off is to hit "auto." The AC gets cold immediately, even at that outside temperature. The AC in the 100 is excellent. What else would you expect for a vehicle designed for the Middle East, where it's 130F+ during the summer?

Morbo said:
Just to tell you the way it is, you aren't going to find a '04 without NAV and you aren't going to be able to order a new one without it.
Before I bought mine I didn't think I wanted NAV either, now wouldn't be without it.

The reason why I think it's impossible to "order" a vehicle they way you want is last year just as the new LS460 was being released in the US, someone posted a list of every single vehicle being shipped to the US (color, options package, etc.). Those vehicles are for all the dealers in the country. So if they happen to import one w/o nav or running boards/roof rails, your dealer could do a swap to that other dealer for it. This also means that whatever Toyota USA ordered from the factory is what is coming into this country this year. No special orders. In Japan, cars are made to order as long as you stick to the available options for that model. You can say "I want the LC100 G-selection w/ turbo diesel, rear diff lock option, factory winch option, cloth seats, no roof rails, no running boards, no nav," and it'll arrive a few months later. But you pay retail, though.

Last edited:
I have been looking for a deal on a LX/LC and I found one new 06 for 54K loaded. save the money and invest it, if it does break you can pull it out of the market. PM me and i will give you the number of the dealer in CA. It has a gray intierior. I prefer black or tan.
Also, there are about 150-400 LC/LX on the web for sale at any given time. Most will not have NAV. That is my experiance not, so for others, but i wonder how we differ since I use the nationwide search on ebay, autotrader,msn and yahoo? Best of Luck.
When you buy, see if you can get e to sticky the price on a new thread, several have tired but the thread always turned into the LC vs LX debate. maybe we can all learn from prices

I know several individuals have experianced problems with some of the electronics, we do however have to look at the track record. The LC is much more reliable than the LX in JD power and Assoc. Reviews and Consumer reports, stating the main problem as the suspension. However When you look at all the SUVS/Trucks on the market the LC is the most reliable by far, with the LX close behind.

The Nav. units are all the same, and with the thousands of units made, I think it has been a very small number that have had issues. I understand large repair costs are a significant issue, I owned a ford, not just any ford, but the fabled explorer, during the tire recall. I went through three sets before the recall and they told me it was my driving stlye, even when the metal was sticking outside of the tread. I think we would all rather have a Reliable Vehicle than not, and as paranoid as Ford made me, I don't think I would worry about the Nav. We have several 5-7 year old Lexus's with Nav in my family and never had a problem.

I will say that the relationship with your dealer and the maintinace department is going to make the difference between a great nights sleep and a panic attack brought on from empty wallet syndrome. The Toyota Dealer who sold me my LC, Knew me and My family, told me how they are so reliable and service after the sale is excellent. The women at the bank even said so. Boy,was that a huge lie. I went to Lexus after the ford, and had gone through several salesmen and service reps, finally I got one of each to really work with me. No more 50.00 light bulb changes. I do it myself and they know It. But it took me a while and the guys who handle me now were complete jerks when I first met them. Now, they will give me the part number and show me how to do it. I do send them each a Birthday card and a christmas thank you. It has paid off. Last fix I got saved more than 300.00 in labor.

I think you have done all your research and would not worry about the fix. If it was bad enough, there would be an aftermarket piece at a nominal savings. No one I know uses ford OEM replacemnt parts.

Last edited:
aedgington,

Off the top of your head, what are the most common failures?

And what are the significantly costly ones to fix out of those?

Manifolds
auto tilt/retractable steering wheel
auto adjusting mirrors
lost all master keys (not a failure, but certainly worth mentioning as a concern)
vsc ecu
accumulators

I'd say the VSC ecu and accumulators would be the most costly, although if the accumulators are "thumping", they might just need a flush and new fluid.

On a side note, I've seen all of these problems multiple times; never seen the dead nav screen.

2006, 2007 come standard without a nav here in Mexico.;)

2006, 2007 come standard without a nav here in Mexico.;)

But don't you guys have to pay like $70K USD for a LC and $90-100K USD for a LX?

About a month ago there was an 03 LC on ebay that DID NOT have nav. My jaw hit the floor and the drool came out in rivers when I saw it.

When I bought my 2002, there was a low milage 2003 without a NAV listed with a Lexus dealer. In hindsight, I regret not having picked that one up. That truck would have been a keeper. Anyway, I generally keep away from the first model year of any truck or any major upgrade. 2003 was the first year with a number of significant upgrades including the new 5-speed tranny. So I thought I will get a 2002 instead which was pretty much proven to be bullet-proof.

I thought 2004 was the 5-spd, along with the backup camera.

IIRC, the 5speed was on the 100TD in Australia before '03, so it had been "tested" to some extent already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom