2004 LC Without NAV (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do you know if any 2004 LC was sold without the NAV. I want to upgrade my 2002 LC and would like to buy a 2004 without NAV or order a new one without NAV. So far I have not found a 2004 without NAV. Does anyone know if Toyota sold 2004 models without the Navigation? I would have bought the new one, but I am a bit concerned about the problems that have surfaced 2005+ model year LCs. I hope things have been ironed out by now. I plan to buy late this year.

From the edmonds site here, it seems like navigation system was first offered as an option in 2001, and does not mention about it being standard in any model year.

You seem determined in not getting one with a navigation system. Why is that?

From the edmonds site here, it seems like navigation system was first offered as an option in 2001, and does not mention about it being standard in any model year.

You seem determined in not getting one with a navigation system. Why is that?

One guy on here had his Nav fail. It costs $5K to replace it and you can't repair them. So some people are concerned about a $5K future problem. I bought a 2004 with the 3 year 100K mile warranty so this doesn't concern me :) I will get a new one before 3 years or 100K miles.

Holy buckets!!!

If it costs that much to repair, i would also look for one without...

Suddenly, I am happy with my portable Garmin unit that has more issues than Britney Spears.

One guy on here had his Nav fail. It costs $5K to replace it and you can't repair them. So some people are concerned about a $5K future problem. I bought a 2004 with the 3 year 100K mile warranty so this doesn't concern me :) I will get a new one before 3 years or 100K miles.

I think you're referring to Gohawks63's 04LC. There was a TSB on the '04 nav's affecting a certain VIN range. It's not a random thing that happens to any LC/LX. As far as I know, they were problematic for the '04 LC only. And his warranty covered the new nav unit.

I think your chances of finding a '04 or newer LC w/o nav is about the same as finding a LC w/ cloth seats. Sure, the nav is an option, but it's one of those mandatory dealer options along w/ the roof rails, moonroof, and running boards they shove down your throat.

Last edited:
I think you're referring to Gohawks63's 04LC.
I think your chances of finding a '04 or newer LC w/o nav is about the same as finding a LC w/ cloth seats. Sure, the nav is an option, but it's one of those mandatory dealer options along w/ the roof rails, moonroof, and running boards they shove down your throat.

This is why I am not hopeful of finding a 2004 LC without the NAV. It is probably one of those mandatory *options*. I want to hold on to this truck for a long time, i.e 10+ years and don't want to spend 5K on fixing the nav if it fails. Plus, I prefer to have seprate controls for the Heating and AC and not do everything through the touch screen. Guess, I will end up ordering new without NAV and the suspension then.

This is why I am not hopeful of finding a 2004 LC without the NAV. It is probably one of those mandatory *options*. I want to hold on to this truck for a long time, i.e 10+ years and don't want to spend 5K on fixing the nav if it fails. Plus, I prefer to have seprate controls for the Heating and AC and not do everything through the touch screen. Guess, I will end up ordering new without NAV and the suspension then.

I wonder what it would cost to buy the JDM (and other market) standard AC module? Anyone know if the connectors in back are the same?

Also, anyone have the link to the TSB or know the VIN range in question?

TIA,

everybody keeps on talking about this NAV potential failure...

Gives me the shivers too, but then when I come back to my senses, I like to remind myself that electronics in general are much less prone to failure than mechanical systems, and often when they do, it's very early on in their lives... That usually makes me feel better... (for a while :D )

everybody keeps on talking about this NAV potential failure...

Gives me the shivers too, but then when I come back to my senses, I like to remind myself that electronics in general are much less prone to failure than mechanical systems, and often when they do, it's very early on in their lives... That usually makes me feel better... (for a while :D )

You are correct. But the problem is that you have to go to the dealer to fix this and order the part from Toyota so it is the cost that concerns me. I don't really use the NAV in my 2002 that much and I could live with a garmin unit for the rare occasions that I use it. If the AC and Heating wasn't controlled by the same unit, I wouldn't bother to repair it if it died, but now I will be forced to repair it to get my heat/ac back !!

Most mechanical issues can be handled by an independent mechanic who will charge a lot less than the dealer.

We are talking about the most reliable SUV made! Should one worry about every thing that could fail?

I wonder what it would cost to buy the JDM (and other market) standard AC module? Anyone know if the connectors in back are the same?
I tried to search online and only came up with "HVAC Dash control unit, land cruiser, front (03-05)" for $448. Not sure if that is the correct piece though but you'd need the front console trimming too. The Navi unit comes up as $4260.

Try checking with MOT. He has the JDM parts catalog.

Check with your dealer now about ordering without NAV, and check often about the ability to do this as they may remove that option. OZ gets the new 200 series in November, not sure when you guys will get it, but due to changes in production runs of 100's, they may reduce ordering options and spec them all up for the final runs to you guys. I expect you guys may get the V8 turbo diesel option, as I read a rumour it was coming out in the Tundra in 2008, so if they start supplying it for tundras you may get it in a cruiser, who knows.

Although the nav is listed as part of a premium package, I doubt you will find a post '02 LC in the states without it. Last year (05-06) I looked at many '01's and '02's and only saw one '01 without nav, and virtually no '03's or later - 03's had redesigned interior so by that time I think the nav was pretty much standard. Unless you can get order a LC from the dealer for substantially under retail, you might very well pay as much for a LC ordered from the factory without nav as you would for a discounted brand new LC sitting on a lot somewhere with nav. Resale value would be higher with the nav as well but that is probably not an issue for you. Other than the TSB for the '04's mentioned above the nav units seem pretty much trouble free - I think the integrated units look much better than aftermarket but this is a personal preference. As the older model LC's continue to age, I'm hoping if mine ever goes I can get a replacement secondhand for considerably less than I'd pay from the dealer.

You are correct. But the problem is that you have to go to the dealer to fix this and order the part from Toyota so it is the cost that concerns me. I don't really use the NAV in my 2002 that much and I could live with a garmin unit for the rare occasions that I use it. If the AC and Heating wasn't controlled by the same unit, I wouldn't bother to repair it if it died, but now I will be forced to repair it to get my heat/ac back !!

Most mechanical issues can be handled by an independent mechanic who will charge a lot less than the dealer.

If it makes you feel any better, the "nav" is just a screen. The nav ECU and heater/AC ECU's are different pieces. Remember, what you do have going for you is the nav is Japanese-made, not German. If it were the latter, I'd be worried! One can't just say that because it's electronic, it's going to break. The engine ECU on my '86 22re is 21 yrs old, still hasn't broken. Either way, no matter what brand/model of new car you buy in THIS country, it's going to be more and more electronic as the new generations debut. The '06+ LC's have that tire pressure monitoring system that takes a pricey battery in the transmitter unit in the wheel. This will be required on all future vehicles. Federal pollution and fuel economy standards are pushing everything to be more and more electronic. Just be thankful that the steering is still rack & pinion and not fly-by-wire like on the new LS. In the future, I'm sure will be fly-by-wire the way things are going. Even the brakes on some of the Benz' are fly-by-wire.

I think it'll be challenging to find a '07 w/o nav. The US LC's and options packages are usually already pre-allocated a year in advance. I'm not sure if the dealer can "order" a vehicle. They probably just search the expected delivery list to see if another dealer is getting one with the features/color you want, and if there is, you're in business. If they say they can order one, it will surely be retail, which is probably $5K more than you'd pay for the one on the lot with nav.

Hmm. Looks like I have to bite the bullet and buy an 07 of the dealer lot to get the discount. I'll probably get the 7/100 TFS Platinum for my piece of mind.

If anyone has the TSB for the NAV update, could you please post it. I want to check the VIN number in case I find a good used 2004.

If it makes you feel any better, the "nav" is just a screen. The nav ECU and heater/AC ECU's are different pieces.

Jim in my 2004 LX, I never use the screen to control the heat, air, auto temp control or the radio/DVD, I use the buttons below the Nav screen. I think my screen and nav system could quit working and I would still be able to have auto temp control, and radio/DVD, etc. I just would not be able to find my way home :) What are your thoughts on this??? Does this make the Nav potential failure a non issue?

Just to tell you the way it is, you aren't going to find a '04 without NAV and you aren't going to be able to order a new one without it.
Before I bought mine I didn't think I wanted NAV either, now wouldn't be without it.
Good luck, hope you prove me wrong. :beer:

I can't believe you guys worry about this stuff. I make a living wholesaling primarily Toyota/Lexus, and I've never seen a failed unit; nor have any of the dealers I know. We're definitely talking ultra-ultra-ultra rare occurrence.

Power mirrors, power steering adjustment, manifolds, all of those are far, far more common failures. This fear of nav units is just weird.

I can't believe you guys worry about this stuff. I make a living wholesaling primarily Toyota/Lexus, and I've never seen a failed unit; nor have any of the dealers I know. We're definitely talking ultra-ultra-ultra rare occurrence.

Power mirrors, power steering adjustment, manifolds, all of those are far, far more common failures. This fear of nav units is just weird.

Lets hope none of these guys ever by a Range Rover, they will have a nervous breakdown :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom