2003 Nav "Unable to read data" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever had the message "Unable to read data. Check if map DVD is correct." on their display? I searched and came up mostly with threads discussing errors related to updating the nav DVD. I've never changed or upgraded the DVD. The issue started when the weather got below freezing. It would occasionally work when the temperature rose above freezing, but since then has stopped working altogether.

IMG_0225.jpg

Yes, been there. You can try ejecting and cleaning the disc but when I had what seems to be exactly the same problem I swapped out the failed Gen2/3 nav drive unit for a Gen 4 out of a wrecked ‘07 LC and was good to go. There are plenty of nav drive units available on eBay etc as they are common across many platforms and model years. Going from Gen 2/3 to Gen 4 you loose the voice command control and I can’t seem to get the Gen 4 moving vehicle override to work but everything else is normal.

Yes, been there. You can try ejecting and cleaning the disc but when I had what seems to be exactly the same problem I swapped out the failed Gen2/3 nav drive unit for a Gen 4 out of a wrecked ‘07 LC and was good to go. There are plenty of nav drive units available on eBay etc as they are common across many platforms and model years. Going from Gen 2/3 to Gen 4 you loose the voice command control and I can’t seem to get the Gen 4 moving vehicle override to work but everything else is normal.

Thanks for the input. Looks like the drive is common to a lot of the Lexus models. I'll see if I can pick one up off of eBay. It looks like I will need to upgrade the DVD as well.

A unit from either a Toyota or Lexus will work - same part number - the Lexus or Toyota screen play on start up resides in the HMI so the vehicle doesn’t differentiate where the donor drive came from. As mentioned I have an LC unit with Toyota disc in my LX but it still does the LX thing on start up. Yes, you’ll need a Gen 4 disc of the appropriate release (apparently firmware release updates aren’t backward compatible) if you upfit a Gen 4 Drive.

Last edited:
A unit from either a Toyota or Lexus will work - same part number - the Lexus or Toyota screen play on start up resides in the HMI so the vehicle doesn’t differentiate where the donor drive came from. As mentioned I have an LC unit with Toyota disc in my LX but it still does the LX thing on start up. Yes, you’ll need a Gen 4 disc of the appropriate release (apparently firmware release updates aren’t backward compatible) if you upfit a Gen 4 Drive.

Thanks again. Do you recall the proper number or is it dependent on the drive?

Thanks again. Do you recall the proper number or is it dependent on the drive?
86841-50090 is the unit I fitted. It still had the nav dvd in it, which I haven’t changed out, so didn’t need to worry about any apparent backward compatibility issues with the firmware updates associated with an updated map dvd. If you google “toyota/Lexus Gen 4 nav dvd” you’ll get the OE part number for the latest and last release which is 2015 map data iirc. Plenty of aftermarket dvd options too for much cheaper than OE if you want to roll the dice.

Definitely try ejecting the disk before buying a new unit. I received the same message a couple weeks back and ejecting and cleaning the disk solved the problem.

Definitely try ejecting the disk before buying a new unit. I received the same message a couple weeks back and ejecting and cleaning the disk solved the problem.

Great suggestion. I took out the DVD and it had a weird ring-shaped smudge close to the inside of the DVD. Cleaned that off and it seems to be working for now.

I'm having the same issue. DVD will not read once the temp dipped below freezing. I removed the cover under the front passenger seat. slide the slide to the right but the disc will not eject- am I doing something wrong or is there a way to manually pull it out?

I'm having the same issue. DVD will not read once the temp dipped below freezing. I removed the cover under the front passenger seat. slide the slide to the right but the disc will not eject- am I doing something wrong or is there a way to manually pull it out?
Hi,

I am having same issue with my 2003 Lexus dvd player is not reading data to the display. I tried to eject it, but it won't respond. Not sure what is wrong either.

Under that slide you moved is the eject button. Did you push it?

Mine also gave errors in cold weather, either no disc or damaged disc. It would start working again after driving a while. I replaced my Gen 3 with a used Gen 4 drive from eBay and now it works fine.

Chris

Under that slide you moved is the eject button. Did you push it?

Mine also gave errors in cold weather, either no disc or damaged disc. It would start working again after driving a while. I replaced my Gen 3 with a used Gen 4 drive from eBay and now it works fine.

Chris

finally ejected the disc, wiped it off and re inserted- worked like a charm I don't use the NAV, but at least the annoying no data screen is gone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom