2002 Nav says "Disk is Inserted" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

A buddy of mine just scored a sweet 2002 LX470 for a great price. I'm convincing him to join Mud so he can become addicted as well.

Until then, I wanted to see if I could get some input on a few quirks with the truck. The nav unit is nearly useless because it constantly goes to the "I agree" screen but says "Disk is Inserted" and won't let you access the NAV function or any of the additional functions other than radio/cd player. We tried popping the disk out but the button on the drive under the pass seat didn't do anything but open the door. The disk (if there is one) never came out.

Also, his driver seatbelt warning doesn't stop flashing even when you put your seatbelt on. Does this effect the function of the driver airbag. Also, is there a commonly faulty part that causes this with the 2002's?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

so does the nav unit have a tray? I haven't looked, that's the only reason I am asking. Back in the day, cd-rom/dvd units on PCs had a little hole the size of a paperclip diameter that you could manually push in a wire to push out the tray. If there isn't a tray, sorry, just throwing it out there....

Hmm. Not sure. I didn't get a good look at it as my buddy was the one messing with it while I was hooking up techstream. The only thing he could see was a slide button that opened up the face but nothing came out or ejected.

Yeah, I'm not sure either - I'll look under the seat tomorrow to see if I can tell......unless someone else chimes in and says don't bother....

Yeah, I'm not sure either - I'll look under the seat tomorrow to see if I can tell......unless someone else chimes in and says don't bother....
No tray/carrier on the 2002 Nav DVD module. The DVD just slides out when you press the eject button and slides in when you feed it into the module. Have you tried inserting any CD/DVD just to see if there's something already in there? If there is, your disc won't go in. If there isn't, your disc should go in and come back out when you press eject. If it goes in but doesn't spit it back out, your system is f**ked anyways.

No tray/carrier on the 2002 Nav DVD module. The DVD just slides out when you press the eject button and slides in when you feed it into the module. Have you tried inserting any CD/DVD just to see if there's something already in there? If there is, your disc won't go in. If there isn't, your disc should go in and come back out when you press eject. If it goes in but doesn't spit it back out, your system is f**ked anyways.

That clears up me expecting a tray to slide out. I did a quick search of the house looking for a CD or DVD but couldnt find one to my surprise haha

Are you sure about that message?
I'm wondering if the NAV display is saying "No Disk Detected"

Just yesterday I was trying to install an updated Navigation DVD I purchased for my
2002 LX470 but it comes back with "No Disk Detected"

Since you are not seeing a DVD ejected, I'm guessing that the previous owner removed it.

I would expect to get no disk detected.

It actually says "program disk is inserted". Seems like a strange error message for them to incorporate into the system.

In my experience, most errors you get on the Nav unit relate to copied disks off of eBay. I tried some of those disks and they either did not read, or worked the DVD laser mech so hard that I thought it would kill my nav unit. I suggest only using factory disks (I know they are pricey, but you do get what you pay for). I got a new factory disk for $170 and was happy with the road updates and corrections.

I had the same error message on my 2002 Land Cruiser. After trying to upgrade to a GEN 4 system and failing, I have removed my nav computer. The only issue I have right now (other than nav buttons beside the screen) is that my front left door speakers have quit working because of the passthrough on that channel through the nav computer. I have found the wires and after jumping them to make sure it solves the problem, I will splice them a few inches back from the plug so I can restore the NAV if I find a cheap functional unit at a later time. I think I am going to try to cover up the NAV buttons with some vinyl decal tape.
NOTE: When you start up the car without the NAV Computer it shows the Toyota on the screen then goes black. All of the other CLIMATE CONTROL and RADIO functions come up as you use them. If you disable the auto return to NAV under the (I think) the "MENU" button by the screen you can hit the radio after that and it will stay uip. Otherwise it times out to the black screen. Much better than the error message staring at me (for more than 2 years).
I plan to remove the tape player and radio control unit under the screen and add an aftermarket head unit, amp and speakers. I am trying to take pictures and will post a thread later if I get that far (and figure out how to post pics).

I have a 2002 with NAV. I get the "No disk detected" The drive will eject and insert the disc that came with the truck when I bought it. I am on the fence whether or not to shell out the money to buy a new factory disc considering the failure rate on these drives. I would imagine there is something wrong with the unit, and not the disc, but who knows. I guess my point is, the failure rate on units themselves is pretty high, so it may not be worth your time. But if you shell out the cash for a new disc, and it works, let us know!

I believe that the "No disk detected" error is probably related to the player and is similar to the errors in other years that require a laser drive replacement and can be repaired. It seems that the 2002 LX/LC "Disk is Inserted" error is unique. I am not convinced it was not a disk read error that caused my error. When I bought the Land Cruiser 2+ years ago this error was already displayed. I tried resetting and re-initializing the drive, and while it reads the disc and shows progress it dumps to this error at the end.
I was successful in removing my Navigation Computer and getting my front left door speakers working. I need to post a tutorial since I do not feel that the 2nd gen Nav is worth replacing when I have Waze on my iPhone. It only requires splicing 2 wires to bypass the Nav plug, and I did mine so that if I ever wanted to add it back, I could reverse my hack and still hook the Nav up to work with the left front speaker. Follow-up soon...

"No disc inserted" could mean you are using the wrong DVD.
What is the version identification stamped on the label of the DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom