2002 L.C. ABS problem "help" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 02 LC and the ABS engages on accelleration from a stop making it undriveable. Had a master cylinder brake pressure switch code but no warning light. Had it replaced-still acting up. 100 miles prior to this problem i had a shop put OEM pads on front and rear. Toyota says wheel speed sensors are ok. They have had the truck 11 days now and I am starting to worry. Has anyone had a similar situation or have any ideas????? Thanks for any reply. Jeff P.S. The brake pad spacer shims are new too.

I have a 02 LC and the ABS engages on accelleration from a stop making it undriveable. Had a master cylinder brake pressure switch code but no warning light. Had it replaced-still acting up.

The anti-lock brake system covers 87 pages in the diagnostics section of the factory service manual and the vehicle skid control/ABS system covers another 149 pages. What's strange is no ABS warning light, brake warning light, brake warning buzzer, or VSC warning light and no trouble codes. There is a deceleration sensor that could be bad since you mentioned "ABS engages on accelertion". This is code C1244. Since there are no codes, the ABS ECU could be flakey. The dealership can call a factory expert or engineer for assistance in troubling shooting the exact cause of the problem. That needs to be happening if it hasn't already or a regional expert needs to visit your dealership and assist the technician. Eleven days of trouble shooting is too long.

02 L.C. ABS Help

Thanks for the replies, deaccell sensor makes sense. What do you think about wheel speed sensor? It did have a code but 1244 was for the Brake pressure switch not deaccell sensor??? Thanks so much for the input. Jeff

Thanks for the replies, deaccell sensor makes sense. What do you think about wheel speed sensor? It did have a code but 1244 was for the Brake pressure switch not deaccell sensor??? Thanks so much for the input. Jeff

It appears you received some incorrect information from the dealer. Page DI-235 of the 2002 FSM Volume 1 shows DTC (diagnostic trouble code) C1244 as "Open or short circuit in deceleration sensor (constant output)'". DTC C1254 is "Pressure switch malfunction". First question is, "did the technician mis-read the code?" The FSM refers you to page DI-262 for code 1244. In summary, this page says to use the Toyota hand-held tester to check the deceleration sensor and ABS ECU by tilting the vehcile and reading the tester. If both OK, repair or replace the wiring harness between the decel sensor and ABS ECU. The decel sensor is located on or near the center of the firewall but I can't tell from the diagram if it is on the engine side or passenger side under the dash. I'd guess the latter. What dealership has your vehicle?

Found It!!!!

They finally found it. My bad, the code was 1246(pressure sensor) not 1244. However the sensor did not fix it like I said earlier. The problem was finally found after I insisted they pull the backing plates off the frt brakes and visually inspect the speed sensors. Low and behold-a hairline crack on R/F. They said they would goodwill it. But still want me to pay for the "misdiagnosed sensor" We'll see about that! The part won't be here till Wednesday. I'll post to let ya'll know if that fixed it for sure. I think so, it makes sense. Only shudders(ABS engages) on accell-not braking. Weird about the codes though. Also kinda suspicious that it started happening after the pads were replaced. Even though the sensor is tucked far away. Maybe it was on it's way out than got disturbed. Thanks for the help. I'll let everyone Know after I'm sure, for future reference! -Jeff

They finally found it. My bad, the code was 1246(pressure sensor) not 1244. However the sensor did not fix it like I said earlier. The problem was finally found after I insisted they pull the backing plates off the frt brakes and visually inspect the speed sensors. Low and behold-a hairline crack on R/F. They said they would goodwill it. But still want me to pay for the "misdiagnosed sensor" We'll see about that! The part won't be here till Wednesday. I'll post to let ya'll know if that fixed it for sure. I think so, it makes sense. Only shudders(ABS engages) on accell-not braking. Weird about the codes though. Also kinda suspicious that it started happening after the pads were replaced. Even though the sensor is tucked far away. Maybe it was on it's way out than got disturbed. Thanks for the help. I'll let everyone Know after I'm sure, for future reference! -Jeff

Code 1246 is Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor and 1254 is Hydraulic Brake Booster Pressure Switch. Code 0200 is Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Malfunction. I guess we'll know more after the new speed sensor is installed.

North,
What did it cost for the master cylinder brake pressure switch r/r? Have to have mine scanned and curious of a "base line" price if that's the problem. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom