2001 4Runner 4wd Won't Disengage--FIXED (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

vtcruiser60

SILVER Star
Threads
For the past three days our 4wd will not disengage. It is not so bad on snow, but driving with 4wd on dry pavement is a pain..... Plus, the 4wd indicator on the dash blinks constantly.

The problem on our 01 4runner was a faulty transfer case indicator switch. It is either a transfer case switch or indicator sensor, I forget which. Either way it is one of two switches on the transfer case actuator, CLOSEST to the front of the vehicle. A 27 mm socket fits on the switch. Remove the old, tighten a new one on there and boom....our push button 4wd works again. I have driven the vehicle around and all seems normal again. I'll paste a photo of the old switch below.

If you are stuck in 4wd and can't replace the switch, you can disconnect it and fool the system. I did not bother doing this and just swapped out the switch. Here is a more complete thread from Yotatech, 4WD won't disengage on 99 4Runner LTD - YotaTech Forums

For those driving trucks older than 2001, this may not be your fix. Apparently the switches differ and you will want to read the thread above.

The Toyota part number for my fix is 84222-12010, it was about $60 from my dealer and 20 minutes of my labor.
transfer switch.jpg

My parents just bought a used 2001 4runner from a family friend. It only has 68k miles and is in excellent condition. When my dad test drove it, the 4wd would not engage sometimes (4wd indicator would just blink). My friend did say that it would act up once in a awhile. I could not replicate the problem since it seemed to work fine when I drove it around. Thanks for the heads up. You just saved my parents a good amount of money from their mechanic. People like you is what makes this forum so great.

I love IH8MUD.com.

Alex

Hi Alex.....

The 4wd light on ours was sticky for a while. I would say on two occasions in the past 3 years, I have had to pull out the manual to run through the recommendations for disengaging the 4wd. It involves backing up, etc. This time however we couldn't get it unstuck and I went the way of the switch replacement.

Hope that helps.

2000 4runner 4wd fixed

Just a note of thanks to the post with the advice - The Toyota part number for my fix is 84222-12010...

My 2000 was doing the same thing. Started out a couple years ago intermittantly blinking indicator, but lately just sayed on. Wouldn't engage 4wd when blinking. Too bad Toyota doesn't have an override.

I fould this tread, took a chance with a part that is now $85, but the fix was simple and only took about 10 minutes.

It worked....Good stuff, and thanks for posting.

I had this happen on a '99 Limited but it was the 4wd actuator at the transfercase. They have one actuator at the transfercase and one at the front axle. I had to crawl under it every once and a while and beat the shizzle out of the actuator with a rubber mallet for it to engage/disengage. It proved to be a real PITA a few times.

On a side note, a friend of mine owns an '04 Tacoma double cab that wouldn't go into 4wd. After a series of tests and process of elimination, we found it to be a faulty front diff actuator. So, we replaced that and it worked...eventually. We had to cycle the 4wd over and over to get it to finally engage. I suppose a little grease or assembly lube on the actuator arm shafts would have helped.

Where is the transfer case switch located on a 2001? I looked on the front differential and can not find one there so looking for the transfer case switch. Any ideas or suggestions on where to look? Is it on the passengers side of the vehicle? My car is stuck in 4x4 and lights blinking on the dash. We replaced the differential actuator the other night and it goes into 4x4 well, just wont go out well. Any suggestions? The dealership close by is of absolutely no help. Their answer is complete replacement of the transfer case and components, all without even looking at the vehicle.

Thanks so much for the help. Greatly appreciated.

Erich....the transfer case indicator switch is not on the differential, its on the transfer case! Look at the thread link in my first post for more information on how to locate, remove and repair this switch.

To wake up an old thread again...

Just bought a 2001 4Runner Sport 4wd, with 244k on the clock. Runs perfectly, but does need some servicing. Had never put in 4wd before, but about a week ago just clicked the 4wd button on the side of the shifter in and then out, to see what it did--and never drove it.

Fast forward a week later, started it up to move, and the 4wd light was blinking on the dash, and when I turned right it was grinding. Never made a peep before. Just had to move it down the street a bit, and forward and left, fine. But turning right was harder, and it still grinds.

Seemed to be stuck "trying" to engage, but can't. Then after a minute both the VSC & Traction lights kicked on as well as the Check Engine light, and 4wd still flashing. Did off, on, off, on. Went forwards different speeds then backwards. Still the same.

Sounds like a similar issue to everyone else maybe with just an actuator switch, but why the grinding, CEL & other lights kicking on, and what else might be up? Still drivable, but you want to avoid turning right to skip the grading gears feel & sound.

Ideas?

Same issue as the 2001 4 runner sport except a 2002 sport 4 runner. I'm finding out that the actuator could possibly be located in the transfer case ? Does anyone know if that is true ?

I have a 2000 4Runner limited that had problem engaging and disengaging into 4wd I took it to a friend mechanic and had some work done now it will go into 4wd on park very will and not on other gears he redone some of the wd gear did he do some wrong have problem disengaging sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom