2 Newbie Questions Manifold (warranty) & VSC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All- I believe I have a cracked Manifold on a 2000 (prod date 07/00) with 51k miles. Anyone had any luck raising :censor: with your dealer or Toyota rep to get this replaced for free after warranty term (but not miles) has expired - obviously hope this would be covered on 5 yr 60k?

Also, brushed a curb today going about 40 mph and got 3 or 4 quick beeps from under the dash - was this the VSC kicking in? I almost want to do it again!

Was it beeping before you brushed the curb? As in was the truck getting squirrely? I've only heard mine kick in twice. When I've deliberately tried to get it to slide in an empty snow covered parking lot and the other time when a deer ran in front of us and my first reaction was to stand on the brakes.

I'd search a little around here for the manifold issue. Some guys have gotten good results at dealerships.

Macneill - thanks for the reply. Not squirrelly at all - running along on a 4 lane rd and the guy to the left of me started crowding into my lane and I moved more to my right and brushed the curb with my right front tire and she beeped at me.

Call Toyota's Customer Care department and speak with them. I would expect Toyota to pay for no less than 1/2 of the cost if not all of it. I've had a Honda repaired out of warranty and they covered 1/2 the cost even when it was repaired at an independent shop.

Coastal said:
Macneill - thanks for the reply. Not squirrelly at all - running along on a 4 lane rd and the guy to the left of me started crowding into my lane and I moved more to my right and brushed the curb with my right front tire and she beeped at me.

Sounds like the G-sensor picked up a bit little lateral force and/or the ABS sensor noticed that one tire slowed down quickly....The VSC is quite remarkable, but I suggest that ALL owners of VSC equipped vehicles find a place ( open gravel road, etc..) to "test" the system out...The 100 acts very differently when the system is active for more than a split second, and can catch a driver off-guard, (especially considering that you lose a LOT of steering and braking control while its active!) It can be scary ! :eek:

Knowing how VSC reacts PRIOR to an (accidental) slide and/or loss of control can only help the situation, possibly even saving your life!

My VSC activates almost EVERY time I go out wheeling` (without the CDL engaged), but I am very familiar with (VSC`s) intent, and I respond accordingly...

OH, and yes... my driving habits ARE a bit on the "harsh" side... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom