2 meter VHF or HAM radios (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ham mounting bracket

I mounted the radio in my 80 today, I'm still playing with the bracket, but this is what I came up with on a rainy afternoon.
Bracket1.jpg
HPIM0654.jpg
Bracket2.jpg

I believe many of you are underestimating the capability of communication on 2 meters. For those of you in N Calif, I regularly sit and chat with dozens of guys in the SF Bay area on 2m...

I can hit the Mt Diablo repeater with ease from anywhere in Paradise - that is easily 130-140 miles direct - using approx 15 watts. A little less reliable from Chico, but still well in excess of 100 mi. Amplifiers are completely unnecessary. I have worked into Oregon and as far south from here as Kings Co - upwards to 300 miles - (on 2m SSB, not FM) with less than 50 watts. It's in the antenna, not the power.

Mobile-to-mobile - in a problematic area such a Death Valley - the range would be reduced, but will vary considerably, depending upon where in the valley you are located.

I use a multi-band whip mounted on the upper rear hatch.

As an aside, I would caution anyone about unlicenced activity on the ham bands: The feds are very unsympathetic about such use - this is not Citizens band - and have, and will levy very stiff fines when they see fit. This service is regulated, and monitored. Just so you all are aware of the differences.

Anyone in this neck of the woods would like any additional info, please let me know. More than willing to help out.

Cheers, R -

ParadiseCruiser said:
As an aside, I would caution anyone about unlicenced activity on the ham bands: The feds are very unsympathetic about such use - this is not Citizens band - and have, and will levy very stiff fines when they see fit. This service is regulated, and monitored. Just so you all are aware of the differences.

-

Most hams and repeater owners do not tolerate unlicensed activity at all. You won't last long on the air if you are not licensed. You will stick out like a sore thumb until you get properly licensed and we tell you the secret handshake. :D

If not yet licensed, it's real easy now. Check with a local ham or ham club.

Amateur Radio

Simple mount,,roof top, rear of vehicle, good gound plane, I run 220,440 and 2 meter from my rig..additional mounting location passenger side above fan blower, in front of w/s wiper motor, good body metal to attach easy accss to wiring ..Raio,, center console, using a radio bracket from Gamber Johnson...

Capt. Jim said:
Most hams and repeater owners do not tolerate unlicensed activity at all. You won't last long on the air if you are not licensed. You will stick out like a sore thumb until you get properly licensed and we tell you the secret handshake. :D

If not yet licensed, it's real easy now. Check with a local ham or ham club.

What he said. And if you try to use a fake call sign they will look it up online and call B.S. very fast. The test for a "non-tech" license like I have was not that hard. There is no requirement to memorize morse code. In fact, I think the test is easier since I took it (10 years ago approx.) because cell phones have seriously reduced the need for Hams, and also reduced the interest in Ham radio. The governing assoc. is responding to this (IIRC) and making it easier to become a licensed ham. I'm a little rusty on all this so any corrections are welcome. I think Ham radio is a great thing for 4wheelers and hope that anyone interested would check it out.

Radio Shack LOL

Why do they call it Radio Shack if they don't carry much radio or CB stuff. Not much in there anymore that store sucks. I don’t think there are CB amps because that is illegal to do. That being said I also don’t belive that the FCC really care about this anymore. I think that we are working off of very old laws and etc. There is not as many people on the CB frequencies anymore and the military use very very very high frequencies. That is one of the reasons for them requiring that the HAM operators has a license. The military used some of this high frequencies but not anymore and that is one of the reasons why you no longer need to no mores code for the HAM license. I want to get one.
CB radios are great for trail runs, caravans, and traffic warning etc. but the range and reliability sucks. They are very inconsistent. For instance today on the radio I could here the local big boys talking to people back east like Virginia, and Georgia. I could barly here the people from back east on my station and they could not here me. So depending on the Atmospheric conditions you may find your self talking to someone 3,000 miles away but you cant talk to the person down the road. I think radio nerds call this "skip".
Ham is the way to go for emergency long distance communications. I want to get one and probably a HAM base station set up at the house too some day. I talked to a friend of Ed's today he is a big time radio head he is ham and GMRS certified etc. He lives in the valley "Grant Bay" and has a tower. He has been wanting to set up a repeter in the hill up her for years. Back in my day Radio Shack had radio stuff.:doh:

fab

very nice Drew,

nice fab work that will work I like it up high like that, out of harms way. Did you get that cleared with your little boss though:D Becuase if you didn't your banged!

nice work.

thank for the pics
Sam

Cruiserdrew said:
That's good info. So there are repeaters in Trona? It makes sense that Ridgecrest would too, since it's kind of a techy community with China Lake NAS right there. Unfortunately, much of the time we will be down on the floor of the various valleys so no line of sight to anything! Is there an internet link to a list of repeaters?

mabe try www.qrz.com

A few details, and clarification...

The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) regulates all communications globally, including the Amateur Radio Service. This means which parts of the radio spectrum hams (and all other services, respectively) can operate.

Subordinate to them is the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU), a body of representatives from all ITU member states, who set international regulations for operation. It is this group that deregulated (eliminated) the Morse code requirement for the Amateur Service.

From there, the individual governmental license issuing entities, the FCC in the U.S. (Industry Canada for our northern neighbors), determine specific licensing requirements. The FCC has not deregulated morse code. Yet.

The entry level license - all that is required for 2 meters - has not required morse code for some years in the U.S. There are restrictions with this license, however, but none that would affect any of us. (You are restricted to operation on VHF... and frequencies higher up the spectrum.)

Sam's comments are accurate as to the simplifing of the entry level test... something like 35 multiple choice questions from a pool of questions that are in the public domain. Any club in your town can administer the test, and you'll have a license in a week's time.

It is because radio waves do not observe national boundries, and the international oversight (stated above) that the Service is regulated as closely as it is... and also why unlicensed and unauthorized use of the Service can get you into the heat real quick.

After you get your rigs set up properly for 2 meters, you'll never look back. It's a blast and a great comfort to have the ability to communicate at your fingertips.

Cheers, R -

good info Ron

Thanks for the clarification.
Sam

jonb96150 said:
What he said. And if you try to use a fake call sign they will look it up online and call B.S. very fast. The test for a "non-tech" license like I have was not that hard. There is no requirement to memorize morse code. In fact, I think the test is easier since I took it (10 years ago approx.) because cell phones have seriously reduced the need for Hams, and also reduced the interest in Ham radio. The governing assoc. is responding to this (IIRC) and making it easier to become a licensed ham. I'm a little rusty on all this so any corrections are welcome. I think Ham radio is a great thing for 4wheelers and hope that anyone interested would check it out.
Just to clarify the easiest level lic. to get is the "technician class".
The ARRL website has all the information you could want on amature radio. There also many on-line tutorials such as this one.

IRLP and the like

To re-emphasize the benefit of Amateur Radio over CB, here is another interesting note. For those who don't want to get the General or higher licenses, Techinicians (the entry level) can communicate all over the world with their simple 2M rigs if able to hook up to a repeater with IRLP (Internet Radio Linking Project). Basically, the repeater you contact retransmits your signal over the internet to Nodes all across the world. For instance, you could dial up the node in austrailia from the US, the repeater that receives that internet communication and retransmits that signal out to those listening to that freq in austrailia. Really neat stuff.

Getting the higher class license is the way to go. It is fun, and it is also a sense of accomplishment. This happens every time you talk to someone on the opposite side of the globe. Basically more toys to play with.

Nathaniel, KC0TXK

I've been working on getting my HAM for about 5 yrs now, on and off, mostly off.
One of these days I'll just go write it.

I found this site a bit usefull...

http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

I found this site a bit usefull...

http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

The "QRZ" site is extremely useful, and a generally reliable source of info.

Keep in mind, however, that there is a new pool of approved questions for the Technician class license (the entry level license we have been discussing here) that will go into effect 1 Jul 06.

I have not looked at the new questions - can't say if the new test will be easier, or more difficult than the current one. Whichever way you go, you'll want to be studying the right set of questions for the test you ultimately take.

Here is a source for both the old, and new question pools:

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html

Good luck :) - R

Well, all of those questions are likely useless to me as I would be taking the test in Canada, I'm just playing with anything I can get... (anyone know of a good Canadian online practice site?)

Well, all of those questions are likely useless to me as I would be taking the test in Canada, I'm just playing with anything I can get... (anyone know of a good Canadian online practice site?)

Actually Bruce, those questions are completely useless to you ;)

Industry Canada handles amateur licensing differently than the FCC. Try these links for some info, especially the second one...

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/en/sf01008e.html

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/%20en/h_sf05378e.html

http://www.hamstudy.com/

Cheers, R -

PS: This is for Canadians only...

Just passed my technician exam this afternoon. I should have my station call sign in a week or so.:grinpimp:

Congradulations Andrew - Desertgirl and I just passed last night too :) Looks like we'll have two legal hams in the 80 for DV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom