2 meter VHF or HAM radios (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew said:
Just passed my technician exam this afternoon. I should have my station call sign in a week or so.:grinpimp:

Congrats.

You can check the ARRL Website for the new calls (at least you could) to save time waiting for the mail

And most importantly, what rig are you going to be talking on?

Kofoed said:
Congrats.

You can check the ARRL Website for the new calls (at least you could) to save time waiting for the mail

And most importantly, what rig are you going to be talking on?

For better or worse, I have this model:
Yaesu FT2800-M.

My antenna is a Wilson magnet mount.

It was reccomended to me by a friend, but now I'm wishing it had a detachable face plate so it was smaller.

I hope to be up and on the air as soon as my call sign gets posted. Ron has kindly offered to endure some newbie chat.

Our real goal is long distance trail communications in Death Valley. Out there it is easy to exceed the range of CB, and we have a large group to keep track of. I'll be extremely interested to see how it works.

Cruiserdrew said:
Our real goal is long distance trail communications in Death Valley. Out there it is easy to exceed the range of CB, and we have a large group to keep track of. I'll be extremely interested to see how it works.

What you will notice in Death Valley, is that cb performace is utterly horrible. The environment is conducive to high levels of atmospheric static and relentless "skip" coming in from south of the border.

VHF will rock

Not So

It is quite easy to talk hundreds of miles on 2 meters without lots of power.
I could easily talk to Sacramento from Grass Valley running 5 watts on a hand held.

NorCalSam said:
There are some guys running amps on the base stations here in Grass Valley I don't know what amps or how much they are boosted but I have got up on the hill and can here them talking to people in Roseville etc. That is like 35-40 miles away through some hills. Most be like 500watts!

I think that you could hook up a small amp 50 to 100 to the mobile unit in the truck but not sure. I figure you would put it down line from the Radio to the antenna.

Yaesu FT2800-M with a larson antenna and a comet hood mount - I am thinking of mounting the radio behind the console in the 80 - I expect to set the channel of the event and lock it in - once I do that I don't expect to have to do much else but use the mic ( maybe a little squelching)- If I get really into it I will get the icon with the removable face plate - I have plenty of other passions to geek out about ;)

At this time all I have is an Radio Shack 2m hand held. I use the rubber duck for when I want to walk around and the I will use my home brewed J-pole mounted to the receiver hitch when I am mobile. I have found this antenna to out perform the vast majority of mobile antennas that have been brought to me to test both in TX. & RX. And when wheeling in some canyons this can be very helpful. If I need some more boost I just add the second part of this and turn it into a double J-pole and by doing this its performance almost doubles with it. Since the length of this antenna is around 4’ or so it is not at all that intrusive. I saw a comment that compared the CB (11m) to 2m and thought that the 2m was better in longer distances then the CB and this is not so. With out the help of repeaters and skip 2m is limited to its ability to carry far (line of sight frequency) and it is less likely to pass through solid objects. But we do have repeaters and some of them are linked and some of them have phone patches to help us out even more. Well that’s my 2cents worth.

Please post up some photos of antenna mounting. I'm trying to figure out a way to mount mine with the LEAST amount of drilling. I do not want to put it on the top due to a lack of a ground plane.

Thanks for the info on Comet antennas. I actually have one of the lip mounts but can't find a place to put it. I'd like to see some antenna installations just for ideas.

2m Radio Installed

I got my 2m radio installed. The installation was quite simple. The power cable it comes with reached to the millimeter from my battery fuse box to the radio. I'm happy with the setup. I had some aluminum trim left from my drawer project. I pounded it to make it flat and drilled holes to match the radio's mounting plate. It turned out very sturdy. If you notice, installed the radio backwards. So the bottom of the unit is facing forward. This so I can read the dial easier from my seat.

yaesu01.jpg

yaesu02.jpg

yaesu03.jpg

Regards

Alvaro

Pasquale,

Little by little. Now I need to tune the antenna.

Alvaro

That looks great. I think given the weight of the radio the backing plate was a very good idea. How about helping me run my wires this weekend?

Cruiserdrew said:
That looks great. I think given the weight of the radio the backing plate was a very good idea. How about helping me run my wires this weekend?

Andy,

Count on it.
Can you help me with the caster plates. I'm thinking taking the arms off Friday night. So early on Sat I can find a place with a press to remove the caster correction bushings and press the factory ones in.

Where did you get yours done?

Regards

Alvaro

Hi guys,

Let's see some photos of antenna mounting options. I have a Kenwood TS-941 tri-band (2m, 440, 1.2) along with a tri-band antenna. I like the option of not having to drill holes that are visible from the outside. I may do, what it appears many of you have done, and mount the antenna to the inside lip of the hood or to the front bumper. I'd like to get the RF a bit higher than off the front bumper, however.

KC6ZWY

Doug,

I went for a 2m Wilson Mag mount. I need to get my arms around this before committing to a dedicated place for my antenna.

Alvaro

Friends-My call sign was just posted by the FCC. It's KI6CXS, but you can call me sir.:D

Congrats Cruiserdrew! It's nice when you get a "ticket".

Alvarorb,
I don't think that I can use a mag mount (though I have one for a 2m radio given to me) for my tri band antenna. Plus it'd be nice to have a place dedicated to mounting. I'm leaning toward the area where the spare tire is held to the body. This would get the 35w of 440 away from my eyeballs and work well. I can't mount it too high because it'll hit the garage when I park.

Maybe I'll just bend up some 16 guage metal and attach the antenna to a rear hinge.

We need people who have mounted antennas to post photos, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom