2 Marine Batteries in a 24V BJ41 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAB

Threads
1980 BJ41
2 battery / 24v system
Battery dimensions 8H x 7W x 10L (inches)

I've read every battery thread and I'm a bit over-saturated with info. I'm not winching, nor am I running extensive accessories. That said, cold weather performance is my main concern.

My goal is to find a quality mid-grade battery that won't cause any issues with the stock electrical system and fits the stock battery trays without modification.

I've read that some members prefer a marine starting battery for the 24v systems. Would this Deka be a safe option? Or is charging an issue with the stock setup?

Suggestions are of course welcome as well. Thanks up front.

Application: Marine
Cold Crank Amps (0 degrees F) (Amps): 800
Reference Crank Amps-32 degrees F (Amps): 1000
Voltage (Volts): 12
Maintenance-Free: Yes
Weight (lbs.): 44
Terminals: Left
Length (Inches) 10.75
Width (Inches) 6.75
Height (Inches) 9.375

Shop Deka 12-Volt 1,000-Amp Marine Battery at Lowes.com

Hello,

Marine batteries have more reserve power. They are sturdier than regular batteries, and they handle discharge cycles better.

Better cycle handling means more reserve power. Some users like that extra juice to run a ton of accessories or winch extensively.

In everyday use, it means less cranking time, and less alternator load.

In my neck of the woods, that Deka model is known as "super battery." I had a similar model and it served me well.

Give it a try.

Juan

Thanks for that input Juan. Much appreciated.

We have a dealer rep for Deka where I work and I had a 30 minute conversation with him regarding the above battery. While more than likely it would be perfectly fine, he did state that the higher cranking amps come with thinner plates (which was stated int he huge battery thread).

The thinner plates could lead to an early failure with all the vibration, but again, not likely.

He suggested that I take a look at the Deka 9A34 and 9A34M. These have thicker plates and still a healthy amount of cranking amps.

I'll do some more reading and report back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom