2.5" + (spacers) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can anyone help me out with experience/advice using spacers on the 4runner? while i will be putting on new tires it was something else i wanted to look into since the 2.5" lift could stand to be a little bigger.... would i want to do front and/or back? do they just sink down easily? any other knowledge??? thanks!

What size tires are you planning on? Right now I am running 285/75s (~33s) and the stock 16x7 wheels on my 4Runner with 2" of front and rear lift. The only time I get any rubbing up front is at full stuff. Unless you plan on jumping to 35s you should be good with what you have.

If you want to do a lot of reading about spacers on 3rd Gen 4Runners, do a search at Yotatech

In my opinion, you will not need spacers. You will be running 285's when you get new tires. If you want something bigger, that ventures into a lot more money for other items to compensate for the change in angle to the drive shafts and axle components not to mention gearing changes to compensate for the loss of power.

In addition, your sweet old grandma wouldn't be able to get in your truck.

If your going to want to wheel in situations that require another 2.5" and bigger tires, then you have the wrong truck, because that kind of wheeling leaves marks, dents, etc. on a nice 99 Limited like you have.

Here is who you need to talk to....I appologize because I can't remember names but Brian's wife ran her stock? 4runner on the Argentine Pass trail. It isn't the most tecnical trail but some sections of the road we took following the power lines were a great test for any vehicle. She took her stock? runner through all of it and didn't have any problems.

http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1071&PN=1&TPN=1

Rachel - are you talking about wheel spacers or spring spacers?

If you are talking spring, you're out of luck. There's no way you can add another 2.5" on top of your 2.5" lift by way of spacers and have anything survive - your steering, cntrol arm angles (ball joints), steering - nothing is up to the task of a 5" lift the way your note implies. If you want to go taller, I think your options are a true 4-6" IFS kit like those from ProComp, Tuffcountry or FabTech... But that's going to be spendy.

If you are talking about wheel spacers - I don't think you need them. In fact 2.5" will change your 5" backspaced wheels (or are they 4.75?) to 2.5" backspacing and cause more rubbing and intereference problems for steering and tire fitment.

I dont know why you'd want wheel spacers for the 4runner? Dont think you'll need them with 285's. Watching Scott Yoders truck over the years, I have ben impressed with what it can do(think he is running the 2.5 suspension setup, and something close to the 285's. But are MT/R's). Scott would be a good guy to talk to for some ideas. He was at the last meeting, dont know if you had a chance to meet him..

bkg said:
If you are talking about wheel spacers - I don't think you need them. In fact 2.5" will change your 5" backspaced wheels (or are they 4.75?) to 2.5" backspacing and cause more rubbing and intereference problems for steering and tire fitment.

bkg: The stock 4Runner 16x7 wheel backspacing is 4.375". If you want wider wheels (say 16x8 w/ 4.5" backspacing) Rachel can use the OEM wheels off her dad's FZJ80. :grinpimp: Based on her original post I think she is looking at adding to her suspension lift.

daughterof romer: 2-2.5" is a good lift for a 3rd Gen. Wheel the heck out of that and then decide if you want to tweak the suspension more.

ya i guess so..... i just wanted to hear more about the idea since i dont have very much background knowledge at all..... it helps to hear various opinions and experience......and 99% im going on wed. the blow of work run, which was the first one i went on (shotgun) in the 40 with rising sun 2yrs (???) ago, and now will be the first i take my new truck on!

only last year. My first club run too, and don't get behind me unless your a fan of Tim McGraw and How Bad Do You Want It?

yeah i wasnt sure... i have no sense of time whatsoever.... hey and i actually like tim mcgraw!!!!

only last year. My first club run too, and don't get behind me unless your a fan of Tim McGraw and How Bad Do You Want It?

Or if you like lots of smoke. On the plus side, you dont have to worry about them darn mosquitos!

bh4rnnr said:
Or if you like lots of smoke.

How Bad Do You Want It?
(Jim Collins/Bill Luther)

When I'm here on this highway
Breathing diesel smoke :cool:
Driving hard for hours
Trying to make that Memphis show

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom