1st off road trip - what do I NEED? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m planning on getting down to Hollister Hills in the near future. What equipment do I absolutely need? I have a 2008 in great shape with K02s on.

Right on, I was hoping to go there Friday morning. Ideally, you would have another vehicle with you, along with tools, spare parts, recovery gear, etc. However, if you are playing it safe, a stock GX with tires aired down will do just fine on most trails and obstacles out there.

What equipment do I absolutely need?
A truck in perfect serviceable working order. No leaks. Steering, brakes seat belts all working.
Tires in good condition, full size spare and the tools required to make a change on unimproved surface.
Personal supplies for everyone, extra food , clothing and water should you need to stay out for 2-3 days
longer than planned.
Not sure how mechanical you are or back country trained? Tools to fix to your ability. Tools to break
down and make shelter and fire should I be needed.
Have a back up to come get you should you break down. Last minute rescues to retrieve a vehicle can
get expensive exponentially really fast. Have a buddy on back up.

Remove the running boards and cut the rear mudflaps. Two easy clearance increasing mods that also eliminate the damage multipliers.

And make sure to raise the rear to high when you are going over obstacles and learn to use the CDL and low gears

A truck in perfect serviceable working order. No leaks. Steering, brakes seat belts all working.
Tires in good condition, full size spare and the tools required to make a change on unimproved surface.
Personal supplies for everyone, extra food , clothing and water should you need to stay out for 2-3 days
longer than planned.
Not sure how mechanical you are or back country trained? Tools to fix to your ability. Tools to break
down and make shelter and fire should I be needed.
Have a back up to come get you should you break down. Last minute rescues to retrieve a vehicle can
get expensive exponentially really fast. Have a buddy on back up.
That's good advice, but "Hollister Hills" is very well-travelled. There's no reason to get stuck there for more than a few hours if something goes a bit wrong.
It's a good place for beginners to learn, and relatively safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom