1KZTE intercooler question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a fairly new KZJ78 owner and keep coming up with questions. One I haven’t been able to solve yet is, will any 1KZTE intercooler fit on a 93 1KZTE? I see a lot 2002+ intercoolers for surfs/hilux on eBay and other spots and none that I’ve found for earlier 1KZTE. From pictures the engines look the same but I am not sure if it is. Thanks in advance.
Ryan

Not sure about interchangeability of the OEM top mount intercoolers. But what I can say, is you'd be MUCH better off building a custom front mount intercooler. In my experience top mount intercoolers should actually be called 'interheaters'; they work for a bit when the engine is cold, but quickly heat soak thereafter. Front mount will be more work; but definitely worth the effort.

There's enough room behind these massive bumpers we have to easily tuck a smaller FMIC in there, the piping will be interesting to mock up and might cost a couple bucks to have a fab shop custom make but would be worth keeping the temps down. If anyone has a write up on this please post it up!!! Besides do you really want to cut out a huge rectangle in your hood to fit a scoop?!

There's enough room behind these massive bumpers we have to easily tuck a smaller FMIC in there, the piping will be interesting to mock up and might cost a couple bucks to have a fab shop custom make but would be worth keeping the temps down. If anyone has a write up on this please post it up!!! Besides do you really want to cut out a huge rectangle in your hood to fit a scoop?!

I am a fairly new KZJ78 owner and keep coming up with questions. One I haven’t been able to solve yet is, will any 1KZTE intercooler fit on a 93 1KZTE? I see a lot 2002+ intercoolers for surfs/hilux on eBay and other spots and none that I’ve found for earlier 1KZTE. From pictures the engines look the same but I am not sure if it is. Thanks in advance.
Ryan

Hi, it would fit but youll need all the parts that not just the intercooler. Or youve got to fabricate them.
Ive done this on my Prado 95 which has a 1KZ-TE, the intercooler I used came from a 1KD-FTV and is pretty much the same cooler and much more common here in Norway.
A front mounted would be easier and better.

Stein Arne

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom