1HZJ75 with aftermarket turbo overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Have wanted to get a 4wd for ages and last year I decided I had spent to longing sitting in the passenger seat while my mates were four wheel driving.

So in December I picked up a 91 1HZJ75 with aftermarket turbo. Took her down near augusta. Had a blast 4WDing around the forests there and did another run to Brunswick junction which was a bit more technically challenging. Absolutely loved it!

But....
On the run down to Augusta, and the return she overheated (went to 3/4 and didnt look like stopping till I backed off), could only manage about 95~100 safely. Also found it doesnt like hills, the hill up welshpool road to kalamunda does it every time. It doesnt overheat cruising the city and you can 4WD all day, even on the steep inclines at Brunswick and the needle doesnt move.

I had hoped to post something once I had figured out the solution as it seems to be a pretty common problem. I was toying with the concept of an intercooler until I went up the hill at night with 20 degrees ambient, it did the same thing as a 40 degree day - and I dont believe the intercooler will drop the intake temp by more than 20 degrees.

Anyway, I spent a fair while googling, and was excited to see that 1HZs without turbos do the same thing - so at this point I was pretty convinced it was the coolant system.

I replaced the thermostat (which is not easy to get to with the afermarket in the way) - it didnt do to well on the boiling water test but didnt seem that terrible. Recommendation to anyone going through this, its that hard to get to the thermostat and there only about $30 dont worry about testing it, just replace it, be careful with the gasket, mine slipped out a bit, pinched and I put the whole thing back together before I realised it was leaking
eek.gif

I replaced the fan belts and the viscous clutch ($175 at repco). The old clutch didnt really seem to bad. The old belts definately needed some tension.

No improvement

I had a new pump to put in($140 at repco), and here Id like to say a big thankyou for nothing to to the publisher of gregorys automotive manuals who didnt mention you need the timing belt off to do the water pump . Put it all back together again and picked up a new timing belt kit ($215 at repco - seeing I was going to take it apart anyway). Pulled it apart again, swapped out the pump, worth doing, the bearing was clicky. Succesfully rebuilt the timing belt and in the process realised the ******* I had bought it off had used silicon to seal the rocker cover where he had pinched the gasket once - down to repco - new gasket ($15 at repco).

No improvement

Amidst all this I had bought an infrared temperature gun from supercheaps ($30). Did some testing, found the radiator ran about 87deg at the top inlet and about 50~55 at the bottom outlet. Also, believe I can definately say the temperature guage is not faulty as when its reading 3/4 on the dash the temperature gun is showing 95deg at the top of the radiator and surprisingly about 87~90 at the bottom - couldnt really figure out what the high reading on the top meant but discounted the gague on the dash.

Time for a new radiator, picked one up at radiator wholesalers ($350). Went to put it in that weekend - it was the wrong one. To their credit they swapped me one out the next week. Replaced the radiator next weekend.

No improvement

I would have been tearing my hair out at this point but fortunately in parallell I had been working to install a boost guage. (I found a good example from a website on where to tap in and copied that - it came up really neat. Can provided instructions if required). On the run to my testing ground (the hill up welshpool road) I realised that the turbo was putting in 15psi of boost at 100kph. Bingo I thought - way too much boost.

Next weekend pulled out the wastegate, pressure tested it, it opens at 15psi. Couldnt really solve that then but decided to wind out the clevis on the end of it. Got the boost down to 5~6psi max at 100kph and about 7psi going up the hill.

NOTE : at this point I was already very paranoid about a cracked head, even though there were none of the signs (no bubbles in the radiator, no oil in the water, no water in the oil, expansion tank not overflowing). I bought a radiator leak tester($200 at coventries) and a block tester ($150 at coventrys). FYI the radiator leak tester is great, when I detected a 1psi drop over 1minute I traced it to a loose hose clip that only produced 1 single drop that didnt even drop off in that 2 minutes. Fixed that and it held pressure for half an hour. So, no leaks under rated 17psi of pressure in the water system. Next, the block tester, ran the test, fluid stayed blue, didnt believe it, did it again, gassed the motor the works - stayed blue. So, assuming I did it right, there is no combustion gas in the coolant system either.

Anyways, sure that with less boost it had to run cooler I did the test runs again.

No improvement. WTF!

Anyway, at this point I had given up hope, started ringing around to get a 1HD-T transplant. Sadly, everyone I called told me I had no chance of getting a 1HD-T. Then of course there was the bloke who offered to rebuild my motor, using my turbo and put it back in for $12.5k!

So, I got my hands on a field service manual (you can find them on the web digitally). Found one more item in the list for overheating - injection timing retarded. Bought the SST from toyota ($175) and a dial guage ($75 at tool mart). Did the checks, determined the timing was retarded 10%. Adjusted it, (also put in a new air filter - should have checked first, the old one was labelled new just 10k ago) took it up the hill.

No improvement

Anyway, Im back to giving up now. This weekend Im picking up the viscous coupling goo and Im going to service the original fan clutch and reinstall, plus yank the spotties. I must admit, I dont hold much hope as I dont believe fans do anything at high speed (compared with the airflow you get from driving it) and the I dont understand why other people can run spotties and I cant.

Basically I bought the cruiser because I wanted a rock solid reliable machine, but at the moment I havent really been able to take the trips I want to because Im afraid im breaking it.

So.....
If anyone has any ideas Ive missed pleeeasssee fire away
But more importantly....
Can anyone recommend a really good deisel mechanic? I think im all out of ideas. Preferably near kewdale/welshpool but Im willing to go anywhere in perth with the right recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

Wow it sure sounds like a nightmare atm, have you tried playing with the fuel screw,then maybe the timing like you did before .
First up get a egt gauge to monitor your motor insides.

Might pay to get an aftermarket temp gauge as well, just to be 100% sure that the factory one is working properly. They are known to be inaccurate and pretty slow to respond. How many k's has the motor done?

How about a faulty gauge and or sender...??

~John

I'd definitely make sure I had EGT and boost guages. Turning down your boost without touching the pump has probably made the problem worse, up to a point more boost = more complete combustion and lower EGT's for given fuel. You will probably find that the pump has been wound up heaps, combined with low boost means EGT"s are through the roof and causing over heating when pushing hard (ie up a long hill).

Get a EGT guage, put boost back to 15PSI and tune the pump till pre turbo EGT's peak around 700c. Viscous hub also has an effect at speed (on my BJ74 anyway), mine was faulty and I had over heating issues at 100km/h.

After everything you may still have over heating issues anyway, HZJ75 arent exactly known for keeping their cool especially when turbo. My BJ74 (factory turbo) gets hot if I hold it pegged up a big long hill at high boost even with a totally new cooling system like you, take awhile though and drops straight down when I back off.

I'd definitely make sure I had EGT and boost guages. Turning down your boost without touching the pump has probably made the problem worse, up to a point more boost = more complete combustion and lower EGT's for given fuel. You will probably find that the pump has been wound up heaps, combined with low boost means EGT"s are through the roof and causing over heating when pushing hard (ie up a long hill).

Get a EGT guage, put boost back to 15PSI and tune the pump till pre turbo EGT's peak around 700c. Viscous hub also has an effect at speed (on my BJ74 anyway), mine was faulty and I had over heating issues at 100km/h.

After everything you may still have over heating issues anyway, HZJ75 arent exactly known for keeping their cool especially when turbo. My BJ74 (factory turbo) gets hot if I hold it pegged up a big long hill at high boost even with a totally new cooling system like you, take awhile though and drops straight down when I back off.

X 2 on that one.... EGT gauge see how hot its running inside... Its a fine balance between Boost, Fuel and timing....
Too much or less of one thing and it effects EGT's and hence heat into the cooling system.
My 1KZT does the same thing but will peg out at 95C and hold and that's running at 20psi with an intercooler.... Doing uphill work, But I am working it hard....

As already said the only way to find the problem id an egt gauge, your fuel air mixtures create heat when the mixture is incorrect in diesels, too rich, runs hot, not enough fuel, runs hot, advice would be to set up egt gauge, possibly install an intercooler if your up to it, then set the boost, I recommend a max of 12 psi without intercooler, then with one run whatever boost tickles your fancy. Then get it professionally tuned.

Just a note that elevation also affects the EGTs and tuning of these engines quite dramatically. If you're operating your vehicle at higher elevations, you're very likely going to have to adjust your fuel accordingly.

An example of this would be: my 1HZ powered HZJ77 running loaded (2 people, 2 dogs, roof top tent, and camping gear/fuel/water) would sit at 650 - 750F on a level highway at ~100 -110 kph, pushing hills get up to 1050F at sea level. At 7000' elevation, if i was pushing it on climbs up hills, I could touch 1300F and if I was hard on it higher than that, but I would back off and not exceed 1200F. At no time, however, did my engine temperature gauge ever climb above a normal operating range but with outside temps hovering on the cooler side of things -5C to +15C.

As others have stated, an EGT gauge is critical to measuring engine performance and heat output in the engine. If you're seeing more than very slight amount of smoke from the tail pipe, you really might want to have a close look at your fuel settings.

If you have been through almost all of the other parts of your cooling system, I would also suggest that you connect a proper high quality temperature gauge and an Exhaust Pyrometer (EGT gauge) and then see what it's really doing.

~John

Get the boost and egt gauge installed then take take it to a dyno and have a credited shop tune the truck.

It sounds like your fuel has been hotted up and boost should be de tuned. Check out the 4wd action forums and magazine tech articles as they are a wealth of information and can point you at a good shop. Conservative boost and minimal fuel on the 1hz results in good power figures with safe EGT temperatures.

You've eliminated the obvious, now time to dial it in for power and longevity.

Get an EGT gauge ASAP. Keep the boost where it was and tune it to 1200deg F PRE TURBO. Post turbo EGT is useless and doesn't give you an accurate representation on how hot the engine is running.

Sry to hear ur dream truck is turning to a nightmare ,*
After reading ur post and everyone else's, i seeing u try everything i have few sugestions
1. Have u consider fitting a bigger radiator? From later model 70s
2. How about fitting a hood scoop ? Like subaru sti or nissans
3. U can reduce you egt with fitting an hi flow exhaust

Hi All,

Have wanted to get a 4wd for ages and last year I decided I had spent to longing sitting in the passenger seat while my mates were four wheel driving.

So in December I picked up a 91 1HZJ75 with aftermarket turbo. Took her down near augusta. Had a blast 4WDing around the forests there and did another run to Brunswick junction which was a bit more technically challenging. Absolutely loved it!

But....
On the run down to Augusta, and the return she overheated (went to 3/4 and didnt look like stopping till I backed off), could only manage about 95~100 safely. Also found it doesnt like hills, the hill up welshpool road to kalamunda does it every time. It doesnt overheat cruising the city and you can 4WD all day, even on the steep inclines at Brunswick and the needle doesnt move.

My stock unturboed HZJ75 will begin to warm up quickly on that hill if I dont drop back to 3rd

I dont hold much hope as I dont believe fans do anything at high speed (compared with the airflow you get from driving it) and the I dont understand why other people can run spotties and I cant.

I agree ,I doubt the fan is doing anything either.I think its just freewheeling so its not an obstruction to airflow at highway speed.

Are you saying you are worried because it is reading 95c at the top of the radiator?I would not be concerned about that.The engine is warmed up at that temp,its not overheating.
My alarm is set to go off at 100c and it regularly gets there on big hills and never had a problem.

A former mechanic at a LR factory said they run their engines at 120c for 3 days at a time with no problem.

Dont forget ,you were also driving in 40c conditions but the temperatures coming off the road could have been much hotter than that.
Before you spend anymore ,I would wait and see how it goes in cooler temps

Have you tried changing the fuel filter? Used to make a massive difference to my old work ute.

Can the fan coupling fail in a way that the coupling is locked up? So the fan would always be putting a load on the engine, even at speeds in which the coupling should be freewheeling? This has happened to friends of mine.

Overheating on an engine with an aftermarket turbo is pretty common. You can move that mass a lot faster than before the turbo was installed and it creates a lot more heat than the OEM cooling system was engineered to handle.

As others have posted, you need all gauges to be accurate. Boost, EGT, and Coolant temp. I have had the same issues on a turboed BJ70. I reduced coolant temps quite a bit by just installing a 25mm body lift so the engine bay had more space to evacuate heat. And I removed the muffler and that lowered the EGTs. With the turbo it is not noisy at all.

But I still have to pay attention to all of the above when I am pulling a grade. If the grade is long enough and I keep my foot in it I will hit 230F and still rise if I don't slow down and downshift (reduce load).

Driving a rig with an aftermarket turbo requires constant attention when even pulling a slight grade (if lengthy) imho.

HTH!

Best fit an Egt as above.
If you completely fill the fan hub with silicone oil it will keep the fan engaged all the time. My 2H has been running this way for some years now.
As Ross said don't load the engine travelling up hills by staying in too high a gear the head temperatures climb rapidly in a stock diesel and far worse with a turbo.
There a heaps of turbo 1HZs around with a couple of big Lightforce lights in front of the Rad so I don't really think that is the problem. I have four lights in front of the 2H and a Warn highmount with no overheating on a standard rad. You could always fit a small electric fan in front of the air con condenser where the hot gas comes in to help out.

I have the same problems I have all the gauges new 4core radiator new water pump new thermostat and switched to twin thermo fans and bonnet scoops and still no improvement even with a dyno and tune

Electric fans in my opinion are far less efficient on an old diesel than a mechanical fan.

Turn the fuel down until you are at about 300-350* at idle on the EGT gauge. I don’t like sustained EGTs much above 950* but most guys will tell ya 1100-1200*.

Whole lot of a variables with a turboed 1HZ, kind of hard to trouble shoot without all the details. In general though, if loads are causing the temp gauge to go up, EGTs will be through the roof. The Toyota gauges are also not very good, by the time it shows 3/4’s it is way way hot.

Cheers

To get an electric fan to operate as good as a belt driven fan, it will need to consume as much power as the belt driven fan. Or close to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom