1HZ versus 1PZ in a 70: economy and driveability differences? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDM Journeys

Threads
Long time reader, "newbie poster"... (Disclaimer: Searched high and low, but have been unable to come up with conclusions.)

I've been driving Mitsubishi turbo diesels for the last 15 years, and gas ones for 10 years before that. My latest is a direct injection 3.2L which works beautifully. But I have been getting a hankering for a simpler setup and the 70 series has always been a dream of mine. So... I've begun to look at importing one. Here are my questions:

Assume N/A, and similar odometers, condition, etc....

1. 1PZ versus 1HZ... in terms of fuel economy, given my drive is 99% highway and backroads, where I can be doing 110kmh or less, will I see any appreciable difference in fuel consumption?

2. Driveability: 1HZ has more HP. Does this translate into more usable power on the road, or is it simply numbers on paper, and in the real world there is little difference?

3. Parts accessibility: Is the 1PZ in fact a 1HZ with one less cylinder? In other words, is availability for consumables going to be the same, ie filters, glowplugs, etc.

If I had the chance I'd drive them both, but I know nobody with either of these. I was set on the 1HZ but there are enough 1PZ's coming up in the auctions, that I feel I could be missing out by not giving them a second look. And they seem to come with manual transmissions more often too, which is in line with my "simple setup" misison. Plus 12v system seems "easier" to this long time 12 volter. LOL.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Cheers all,
Phil

@jmlockwood ..... just did a sizable road trip in a PZ powered 70 Series so perhaps he will share his experience.

I would suggest reading this very recent thread on the subject matter.

I think all of your questions were discussed.

Thanks so much @jmlockwood . That's why you're a silver star and I am but a newbie. Rather than muddy this further, I'll ask my followup questions there.

Much obliged!

I guess I will chime in again since I own both 1PZ and 1HZ powered 70 series right now.

1. 1PZ versus 1HZ... will I see any appreciable difference in fuel consumption?
Answer is yes you will see a difference in mpg between the two. The 1HZ definitely feels more thirsty to me.

2. Driveability: 1HZ has more HP. Does this translate into more usable power on the road, or is it simply numbers on paper, and in the real world there is little difference?
Answer is that I feel very little difference in power between the two. I can cruise easily in either one at 110-120 kph on the
freeway.

3. Parts accessibility: Is the 1PZ in fact a 1HZ with one less cylinder? In other words, is availability for consumables going to be the same, ie filters, glowplugs, etc.
There is no doube that some of the 1PZ mechanical parts are near impossible to get. 1HZ is better in this area but as far as consumables go....they are pretty much the same and easy to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom