1HZ intercooler thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, so I have found what will fit my truck, the options are limited because of the size restrictions. The main problem I have is that the a/c condensor is in the way.

The largest size i can put in is a 28 X8 X 3, or a 28 X 6 X 3.5 (with some dremeling of the front grille.

I'll most likely go with something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bar-...017QQitemZ270154981824QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

From all the research I have done it seems that Bar and plate is about 35 percent more efficient than tube and fin, so i can use a smaller bar and fin and get more efficient than a larger tube and fin basically.

Also, if I were running an intercooler on a monster engine race car it would be best to buy a very efficient spec'd intercooler, however, the benefits of using a 6-700 intercooler on a truck that I will gain less than 50 HP on after a turbo install and i/c install is false economy - just doesn't make sense - to me, I can use the extra 500 and buy something else I don't need.

Anyway, I will install the turbo, the Dyno it, then istall the intercooler and dyno it again - just because it is fun.

If anyone has any more pointers please let me know.

Ok, so I have found what will fit my truck, the options are limited because of the size restrictions. The main problem I have is that the a/c condensor is in the way.

The largest size i can put in is a 28 X8 X 3, or a 28 X 6 X 3.5 (with some dremeling of the front grille.

I'll most likely go with something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bar-Plate-Turbo-Intercooler-GOLF-GTI-27X6-5X3-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ017QQitemZ270154981824QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

From all the research I have done it seems that Bar and plate is about 35 percent more efficient than tube and fin, so i can use a smaller bar and fin and get more efficient than a larger tube and fin basically.

Also, if I were running an intercooler on a monster engine race car it would be best to buy a very efficient spec'd intercooler, however, the benefits of using a 6-700 intercooler on a truck that I will gain less than 50 HP on after a turbo install and i/c install is false economy - just doesn't make sense - to me, I can use the extra 500 and buy something else I don't need.

Anyway, I will install the turbo, the Dyno it, then istall the intercooler and dyno it again - just because it is fun.

If anyone has any more pointers please let me know.

I hear there is a crazy french guy in your neighbourhood that does custom 3 inch stainless exhaust... :grinpimp:

Ok, i have done it, on my HZJ80. Here's what i did/used.

I measured up how much room i had in front of the radiator and between the grill. On an 80 series, this equals about 4" in the widest spot. I did not want to hack away too much of the grill. I then measured the distance between the chassis rails. Although the cooler does not sit between the rails, they are the major factor in determining how and where your pipes will run. I figured i could fit a cooler with roughly a core size of 500mm x 300mm x 76mm, not including end tanks and inlet/outlet pipes. Searched the net, and found that PWR here in Oz do a (www.pwr.com.au)"universal" fit cooler (one of their tried and tested tube and fin cores), with end tanks and 2.5" inlet/outlet piping, and 4 threaded mounting tabs.

It fit perfectly between the radiator and the grill, with very minimal shaving of the fins on the grill. After fitting it, i went about making 2.5" aluminium piping ALL ROUND. I cut/taped the piping together, a mate then TIG'd them all up. Once all the piping was fitted, i took it down to the workshop (West End Diesel, in Sydney) that fitted the DTS kit and boost compensator originally, and did a couple of dyno runs. WITHOUT touching ANYTHING, the power went from 85 kw @ wheels (from when the turbo was fitted), to 96kw @ the wheels (315/75/16 BFG Muds), all at approx 3400rpm. The pressure reading at the inlet manifold BEFORE putting the cooler on was 13-13.5psi. AFTER the cooler went on, 11.5-12.5psi. It made an extra 134nm @ wheels, at approx 250rpm EARLIER (2350, down to about 2100rpm), taking it to 590nm @ wheels. Remember, we havnt touched any settings yet. I was happy with this for a while, but now it has 105kw @ wheels, and just on 680nm @ wheels, running 13psi. It uses about 13-13.5L/100km, weighs 2700kg empty, and runs 315/75/16 tyres full time.

Phill

I will take some pics today, as i dont have any on this computer. I dont have anywhere to host them tho, but i can eamil a heap to someone and they can post for me?? Yes, i suck at teh intahnets:eek:

Down load "image resizer" from Microsoft - its free, and comes with instructions.
When its installed, click "advanced" and set image size to 420 pixels accross. This should give you an image about 30k - perfect for Mud, and quick!
Then, in your post, click "manage attachments" then "browse" and find the custom pic. "Upload" and "close window" and your done.

Or something like that. There are MANY threads on this - search for "smaller pics" or similar (here on mud) maybe?

Matt

JL, yes I have heard of that guy - perhaps I can entice him into doing the job for me - free cruiser parts?

I have another question though, my injection pump has a high altitude compensator on it 0 could I somehow use this as a boost compensator? Tap it and put a fittign on it?

OK, fisrt attempt at pics.
Resize of P8170012.JPG
Resize of P8170013.JPG
Resize of P8170014.JPG

Think i got the hang of this!
Resize of P8170015.JPG
Resize of P8170016.JPG
Resize of P8170017.JPG

Theres a few!
Resize of P8170018.JPG
Resize of P8170019.JPG
Resize of P8170021.JPG

Whoops! this is what it looked like before the cooler
Resize of PC070001.JPG

The baffle (if you could call it that!) in the 1HZ rocker cover, where the breather nipple is, is useless. As the oil gets thrown about in the head, the turbo sucking a sh!teload of air tends to suck oil in with it, cos the baffle stops nothing. In turn, once its in the comp. housing, it gets blown throught the pipes and cooler, and decreases the cooling efficiency on the core. I did the oil/air separator to slow this down, but i plumbed the it into the turbo oil drain, so its a recirculating system. It works well! It uses about 500ml oil every 5000km oil change.

I forgot to mention, when i did the cooler, the EGT's dropped about 70-80deg C. It used to get to 550deg C at full load in 5th gear on the freeway. Now, it tappers off at about 470-490 deg C. the pyro is about about 3" behind the turbo, in the dump pipe.

Got a better pic of that? - oil/air seperator
Wheres it from?
Ive seen a few different ways of addressing this.

Matt

Yeah mate, will post a pic of it a bit later. Mate that TIG'd the cooler pipes, and myself, built it in bout 1 hour. Its bolted to the side of the air box, using nutserts. Im about at the end of fiddling with the 1HZ. Next stage for the truck is a 1HD-FTE conversion, when/if the 1HZ gives up the ghost! The 1HD with a chip, the exhaust and the cooler, should be good for at least 150kw @ wheels, using about the same amount of fuel! Bloody brilliant motor, should have done it to start with......:eek:

Yeah mate, will post a pic of it a bit later. Mate that TIG'd the cooler pipes, and myself, built it in bout 1 hour. Its bolted to the side of the air box, using nutserts. Im about at the end of fiddling with the 1HZ. Next stage for the truck is a 1HD-FTE conversion, when/if the 1HZ gives up the ghost! The 1HD with a chip, the exhaust and the cooler, should be good for at least 150kw @ wheels, using about the same amount of fuel! Bloody brilliant motor, should have done it to start with......:eek:

looks good sounds good must be good more plumbing than a ladies toilet though lol

Ok, i have done it, on my HZJ80. Here's what i did/used.

Very nice.

When you say "extra 138Nm", what level of tune were you at before?
Was it just turbo and more fuel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom