1HZ engine heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the weather starts to cool off here in Washington state, I started noticing how the old girl takes a little longer to start and heat up in the morning. Having had an old Cummins Dodge for years with an OEM block heater, I know how beneficial they are for diesels in cold weather.

I have been thinking about adding a heater of some sort to my 1HZ to make morning start ups easier. I was thinking about an inline hose like the one here: Lower Rad Hose Heater 1-3/4 600 watt | 4wheel Auto I'm a little unsure of this usage given the lower placement of the thermostat on the block.

I have also seen thermo siphon units as well: Home - Universal Engine Heater Company

Anyone added these and had success with them?

1HZ's i have run will start to 35F with little problem without glow (HDT's down to low 20's and sputter a bit.

You should have glow system - if not hook up wilson switch.

Block heaters for sub 30F are available from Toyota to put in left side freeze plug cavity.

Really need those for single digit overnight lows.

Left and right is taken from sitting in the drivers seat looking forward.

Get a convection type heater. Pull the drain block plug, install adapter to 5/8's hose and heater intake.
Mount as low as possible. Next connection is a "Y" fitting before heater control valve and enjoy true heat. The key is to leave the dash controls on defrost when plugged in.
The block drain plug is easily pulled with a deep 14mm via the skirting at front shock tower.
You don't even have to drain fluid if you leave the rad cap on.
The Hdt and HZ engine is super easy and can take less than 10 minutes.
I've also used the same system on the FZJ80 by extending the PHH into the heater control valve.
You should enjoy 1/4 heat on the gauge at start up and even a bit of windshield defrost.

Last edited:
Normally in the kit.
See picture in link.
Adapter is on upper left, threaded for block to 5/8" hose.

I get it now. It connects to the block drain just left of the oil filter. Just what I need. Thanks for the help Squash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom