1HDT Sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So since we’re starting to get a few more of these in the states, they are getting more and more appealing. It’s hard for me to gauge how loud one would be in person from over the internet, and all the stats contradict themselves.

One it’s a I6 Toyota so you can’t imagine it being loud but it’s also 1980s technology. so is it somewhere between a 90-00’s Cummins and a VW TDI?

No , they are fairly quiet with their stock exhaust. You have to be up close to hear the difference between a 1HD T or a 1FZ FE.
Ive seen a few landcruisers that have been convered to GM V8 diesels and they are much louder than a Toyota diesel. All the Toyota diesels are quiet, many of them are family transport.

Ok thats what I figured. Japanese Diesel werent really a thing here, my experience with Diesels from past decades are Cummins from the 90s+ and then Benz/VW from the mid 2000s+

Thank you

Stock exhaust is quiet, but the sounds from the engine bay are distinctly diesel, the clacking of the injectors, etc. There will be sound clips on youtube if you want to have a listen.

Yeah im not trying to hide the fact that its diesel, just the thought of "Would I have to turn this off while trying to order in a drive thru" like most of the 90's 00's American pickups have to do

Yeah im not trying to hide the fact that its diesel, just the thought of "Would I have to turn this off while trying to order in a drive thru" like most of the 90's 00's American pickups have to do

I've got some bad news about imported RHD's and drivethru's...you better have brought a passenger, lol.

I've had three different exhausts on my truck. Stock, custom "three inch" (almost), and currently a Fujitsubo. With each change I've never really noticed a big difference in the noise inside the truck. I've also never been asked to turn off my truck at a drive through or going back and forth across the Canada/US border.

I've got some bad news about imported RHD's and drivethru's...you better have brought a passenger, lol.

LOL! Yup, this. I never use a drivethru unless I have a passenger. Even worse is trying to grab a stub from a machine at a parking lot if you don't have a passenger. I've heard of people going through drivethru's in reverse, but that doesn't really seem necessary. Seems like something you'd do to just be funny about it.

I own both a '91 HDJ-80 European spec and a '92 FJ-80 North American spec. The '92 is actually louder than the Diesel. The gas one sounds more agricultural as opposed to the smoothness of the turbo diesel.

I've had both HDJ80, HZJ105, and now have a FZJ80.
diesel is definitely noisier, but not offensively so.
At idle you get the injector chatter, at highway speeds, you have to turn the stereo up more than in the fzj80.

I've run stock exhaust, and 4" into 3" exhaust on both diesels. My hdj80 was loud, my HZJ105, I setup so it's mouse quiet. Basically identical exhaust setup, both built by me.
Hzj105 used larger full flow mufflers, particularly the rear one and it made a huge difference even with stainless steel which is typically noisier.

This clip gives a good indication. You can hear the diesel clatter early in the clip, and under heavy throttle at the end.
This is full flow 4" into 3" mild steel exhaust, medium / large muffler at the centre, smallish muffler at the rear

This is hzj105, larger mufflers centre and rear (largest I could fit), full flow 4" into 3" stainless.
It's slightly noisy because it needed valve clearances adjusted. Video is in a brick garage.
Driving this one, it is quiet! But you still know its a diesel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom