1HDT oil pan gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I am asking questions about the whole BEB thing, why not the use of Permatex vs custom gasket? I can't find any threads on why Toyota used Permatex as a gasket? Is there any good reason I wouldn't want to cut out a piece of cork or gasket material instead? I hate the idea of Permatex squeezing out into the oil pan and making its way into a 1/16" oil passage. I know I am going to be careful and not use too much, but it is kind of inevitable it will squeeze in there a little. I just scraped out a ton that was on the inside from the factory. I know once it cures it really won't be an issue, but I would still feel better with a gasket.

I dont think I would use cork, maybe some of those synthetic rubber types or something a bit more than sturdy than cork. Cork is usually for areas where the bolts or screws are not torqued up too much. And cork if it is torqued up will possibly break off.
But me, I would stick with permatex or similar.

The biggest secret to using gasket maker is to coat both halves, wait 5 minutes before putting together then only torque up to just finger tight (like just using 2 fingers to put 1nm of torque). After 30 minutes tighten up to 10nm with a torque wrench, then the next day tighten up to recommended torque levels.

Sooooo many guys put the stuff on then tight then bolts striaght away. All that does is squirt the material into the oil pan and leaves very little between the metal surfaces. Then if it does start to leak you can't tighten any further whereas using the method above if it starts to leak you can apply a little more torque and stop the leak.

Good luck

1687139254290.png
1687139287655.png

it would be nice if there were some sort of reusable gasket for our oil pans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom