1hd-t weird noise under load/boost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I'm having an on going issue with my hdj80 that I just can't seem to figure out.
During my last road trip I suddenly noticed an odd sound coming from the engine bay. The noise sounds sort of like a siren sound or a whine. I did not hear any "bang" or "boom" sound that triggered the noise, the noise just appeared out of nowhere. I quickly learned that the sound was only present when I would get on the gas and the turbo would spool up. The truck was and is still drive-able. I finished up the road trip with the remaining 1,500 miles after the noise started.

Things I have troubleshooted so far:

o Replaced vacuum line going to the wastegate because the one on there was a little cracked
o Removed and inspected all hoses from the intake to the turbo and the intercooler to the turbo
o Replaced lower turbo inlet hose with a mishimoto silicone hose since the old one had cracked right where the clamp goes
o Replaced all clamps with "t bolt" clamps
o Attempted a boost leak test, but the system will not hold pressure at all. The moment I release the air hose trigger, it loses all pressure. I was still able to find and fix two small leaks near the intercooler. I can see and hear gases/air coming out of the bottom of the "catch can" from the PCV when I do the test.
o I checked the compressor shaft and there was very very slight in and out movement. All fins looked okay from what I could see.

Things to note:

o Normal boost that I see is around 18-20 PSI. Fluctuates a little with temperature
o EGTs still seem very similar to before. Probe is on the exhaust manifold. I typically drive around 120kph or 75mph even when climbing long grades. I see around 1100 F and spikes of around 1250 F when climbing Colorado mountains passes at around 10,000 ft in elevation.
o Not a factory turbo setup. PO installed some sort of hybrid setup with a CT26 turbine (exhaust) side and unknown, no brand compressor (intake) side
o HPD water to air Intercooler set up also installed by PO
o PO installed an oil "catch can" looking apparatus that just dumps the gases and oil from the pcv straight down next to the frame (see photos)
o When a boost leak test is performed there is pressure built up in the PCV system and I can see and hear gases/air coming out of the bottom of the "catch can"
o Since the incident happened there has been an excessive amount of blowby. When the oil cap is removed at idle it smokes excessively out of the valve cover
o There was very little blowby before the incident/noise started
o There is no oil consumption between oil changes just like before the incident (no change)
o The entire oil return hose on the turbo is caked with oil and grime
o No noise at normal idle at 600 RPM, only when the RPMs increase and boost is made. Can begin to hear the noise if idle is increased to about 800 ish and higher
o The noise is still present even with all belts disconnected
o The noise is very obviously coming from the US passenger side/turbo side of the engine bay

My main questions for the Turbo/diesel gurus are:

o Can a blown/bad turbo cause pressurization of the crankcase and create this false blowby issue and the noise?
o Can bad turbo seals be allowing exhaust into the oil return hose and then into the engine, causing the pressurization?
o Can damaged or broken fins from the compressor wheel be causing this sound?
o What should I troubleshoot, inspect, or test next?

My next plan of action is to go ahead and replace the turbo. After researching and reading posts from a ton of different Diesel forums, some people had very similar issues with the pressure in the crank case and similar reports of the noise. Replacing the turbo seemed to fix the issue for some of the OPs of those posts. I was thinking about getting a Kinugawa Billet CT26 GT3071R or mamba CT26 GT3071R. I was leaning towards the Kinugawa just because it is in stock at the moment. The Gturbos look great but they are quite expensive and not currently in stock. My budget is about 1000 USD for a new turbo. Huge plus if the turbo comes with fast shipping to the USA.

I will attach photos that I think are relevant and the video of the sound.

Any help or advice is very appreciated. Thank you for your time and help!

9D68267F-F745-4D75-A82B-705FD081D3F5.jpeg

7DA9264E-3F3A-4EE6-BF52-C8B7B5CFC37E.jpeg

5F1AFA61-04CA-46F5-82E2-DA2D213FC3F7.jpeg

ABEB4BD7-73DA-441C-A4CB-625368DFF9B5.jpeg

2ADACB86-0FF7-4D4C-827D-06DC3BCFA6D5.jpeg

I can't be of much help to you on your original question, though my thoughts would be similar to yours. I would be leaning towards a bad turbo, causing the noise, and pushing air into the oil drain line causing the pressure in the crankcase. That would explain a lot of your symptoms. Hopefully one of the more experienced folks will chime in.

The real reason for my comment, is that's not a catch can, but I'm 99% sure it's a power steering reservoir from a Porsche 944. I have worked on enough of them to know what it looks like. I've never opened one, or cut one apart, so I'm not sure if it could be baffled or modified to work as a catch can, but I thought I would offer that info if it's at all helpful.

Keep us posted!

I can't be of much help to you on your original question, though my thoughts would be similar to yours. I would be leaning towards a bad turbo, causing the noise, and pushing air into the oil drain line causing the pressure in the crankcase. That would explain a lot of your symptoms. Hopefully one of the more experienced folks will chime in.

The real reason for my comment, is that's not a catch can, but I'm 99% sure it's a power steering reservoir from a Porsche 944. I have worked on enough of them to know what it looks like. I've never opened one, or cut one apart, so I'm not sure if it could be baffled or modified to work as a catch can, but I thought I would offer that info if it's at all helpful.

Keep us posted!
yeah, the "can" states "ATF OIL ONLY" on the lid. WTH is that thing doing and is it even hooked to anything? Weird.

OP, sorry to be a master-of-the-obvious, but it seems like a boost leak from somewhere. Have you tried to locate the noise by bumping the throttle lever by hand while your head is under the hood?

I seem to recall many threads of catch cans messing up diesel cruisers in one way or another. blowing out seals in the crankcase, etc.

yeah, the "can" states "ATF OIL ONLY" on the lid. WTH is that thing doing and is it even hooked to anything? Weird.

OP, sorry to be a master-of-the-obvious, but it seems like a boost leak from somewhere. Have you tried to locate the noise by bumping the throttle lever by hand while your head is under the hood?

I seem to recall many threads of catch cans messing up diesel cruisers in one way or another. blowing out seals in the crankcase, etc.
Yeah the can is definitely a repurposed power steering reservoir. There are no baffles in it so I may try to add baffling, replace it with a legitimate can or remove all together. There are no more boost leaks in the system, that much I’m pretty confident. I bought a kinagawa td05 18g so I will be installing that very soon. At this point I’m just waiting for my new exhaust manifold gasket and rings to come in. After all the troubleshooting I’m almost positive that the turbo is blown or something is wrong with it. The sound is extremely audible near the turbo. I checked and replaced all hoses, fittings, and clamps going in and out of the turbo and there is no change. When I put my stethoscope up to the turbo while running, I can hear a slight grinding noise. I’m not sure if that is normal because I haven’t put my stethoscope up to a healthy turbo, but it sure doesn’t sound right. Once I replace my turbo I will update the post! Hopefully it fixes it and I can have a little more torque and power at the same time.

Don't delay on changing out that turbo.

If you're still driving this with the noisy turbo, inspect it for shaft play.
If you can move the compressor blade and shaft forward and rearward, stop driving it. Zero "she'll be alright" factor on this!!
This can allow the compressor blade to contact the housing, which results in shrapnel of various sizes getting sucked into your engine. (Don't ask me how I know!)
Can be go off with one loud pop, and can be fatal to the engine.

A small amount of side to side shaft play is normal, but it will be barely feelable.

Also, I would be highly suspicious of your catch can causing blow by.
If it's too restrictive in any part, it will pressurise the crank case and can cause high oil consumption and blow by

Okay so I’m yet again at a cross roads. So the previous owner in Europe was a special person and he fitted a non oem spec turbo. I have no idea what kind of turbo and what vehicle it came from. Last week when I started the turbo removal I found out that the turbo exhaust dump flange was a 3 bolt instead of 4. So I had to source a new dump pipe with the proper 4 bolt exhaust flange to fit my new turbo. Now this week I have another surprise. The 4 bolt flange from the turbo to the exhaust manifold is different as well. The oem exhaust manifold was modified to fit the unknown, current turbo. Now my options are: 1) do I wait another week or two for shipping after I source an oem exhaust manifold?
2) should I try to either diy or take it to a machine shop to have the manifold welded, drilled and retapped?
3) slot the holes and drill out the threads on my brand new kinugawa turbo :( to make it all fit as is

I’m a very amateur welder so I don’t really want to diy restore the manifold. I’d have to find metal plugs, weld the old holes shut, grind it all smooth, and then redrill and tap holes in the correct spots.

The worst part is that my hdj80 is my daily so I need it to get to work M-F.

I can honestly say I will probably never buy a modified used car again. I’ve been burnt too many times by morons who just throw stuff together instead of buying the proper fitting parts.

723C2E56-8767-4ECC-B7D8-B3C357C32CBD.jpeg

EC2F068B-432C-4118-A64B-3433376BC550.jpeg

EDC65EE9-9090-4B79-87E3-A3B5C1702DA3.jpeg

6044B817-1E36-4AC7-BB35-F5224BC64C62.jpeg

Uggh. Bummer. Sorry to hear that!

I certainly wouldn't modify your new Turbo.

If it was me, I would run it to a machine shop, and have them weld the holes in your exhaust manifold, and drill and tap the manifold for the proper studs in the proper place. Bring your new turbo so that can make sure it all goes together. You've already got a new dump pipe coming, so then you are all back to stock fitment.

Okay so I’m yet again at a cross roads. So the previous owner in Europe was a special person and he fitted a non oem spec turbo. I have no idea what kind of turbo and what vehicle it came from. Last week when I started the turbo removal I found out that the turbo exhaust dump flange was a 3 bolt instead of 4. So I had to source a new dump pipe with the proper 4 bolt exhaust flange to fit my new turbo. Now this week I have another surprise. The 4 bolt flange from the turbo to the exhaust manifold is different as well. The oem exhaust manifold was modified to fit the unknown, current turbo. Now my options are: 1) do I wait another week or two for shipping after I source an oem exhaust manifold?
2) should I try to either diy or take it to a machine shop to have the manifold welded, drilled and retapped?
3) slot the holes and drill out the threads on my brand new kinugawa turbo :( to make it all fit as is

I’m a very amateur welder so I don’t really want to diy restore the manifold. I’d have to find metal plugs, weld the old holes shut, grind it all smooth, and then redrill and tap holes in the correct spots.

The worst part is that my hdj80 is my daily so I need it to get to work M-F.

I can honestly say I will probably never buy a modified used car again. I’ve been burnt too many times by morons who just throw stuff together instead of buying the proper fitting parts.

View attachment 2915211

View attachment 2915213

View attachment 2915214

View attachment 2915215
From the pics i can see this turbo is a factory turbo. It's actually a VNT turbo and came as factory in the later euro models, mainly FTE but I have seen pics of them in FT also. Looks like it's been upgraded with a GTX comp wheel at some stage as they didn't come with those.

From the pics i can see this turbo is a factory turbo. It's actually a VNT turbo and came as factory in the later euro models, mainly FTE but I have seen pics of them in FT also. Looks like it's been upgraded with a GTX comp wheel at some stage as they didn't come with those.
Dude you’re 100% right… After looking at photos of fte oem turbos this is spot on. If I had known this I would’ve just purchased a fte turbo and bolted it right on :( but now I have a manifold that has been “re modified” to stock and I have to build a completely new exhaust from the dump back.

Wow, this is making me feel better about my trials and tribulations! What a total nightmare!

Ditch the catch can for sure. Not sure what's going on in yours, but mine had a filter that clogged. Once clogged it can blow your oil dipstick out and spray oil all over your engine and the ground--that was fun times there. I was super lucky to be at a gas station in the middle of nowhere when it happened so I could buy out their oil supply, took me a while to figure out because the can itself looked just fine and clean down the hole but the filter wasn't visible. My catch can problem spilled more oil on the ground than every catch can has ever captured on these vehicles combined, so just straight pipe it and remove the potential hazard.

Well I wanted to close out this thread with all the progress I’ve made. I finally got everything wrapped up and the truck is running better than ever. I think I can hear a slight boost leak, but it’s been too cold to even consider working on the truck. I was having wastegate set up issues and it was only boosting around 10 psi and exhaust was smoking a ton. I ended up just disconnecting the hose going to the wastegate and now it consistently hits 15-16 psi, which I’m happy with.

I welded a new flange and lengthened the oem dump pipe/ turbo exhaust elbow to match my exhaust that was modified for the fte dump.

I also figured out why the old turbo was making crazy sounds. It has a broken/chipped fin on the turbine wheel. Not sure what could have caused this to be honest but it’s all in the past, hopefully.

I also learned that the old turbo was a chinesium special. I found the exact turbo on both AliExpress and Alibaba for really cheap. I can say that before the turbine wheel chipped, the turbo performed great and there is still no shaft play or any visible contact on the housing from either the turbine or compressor wheels. I may dissect this turbo further just to get a better understanding of how they work, assemble, rebuild, etc.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with suggestions and info that got my 80 running right again.

A81FC03B-4D9F-4A90-BC57-1C568AC72D20.jpeg

06EEAFD3-82EC-4E39-8098-E4F899BE4B62.jpeg

27E04218-DE51-40BF-BB0F-D67016F8B6DB.jpeg

84F82E28-8F87-41AF-8972-2779F55C2502.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom