1HD-FTE maintenance and proformance in my hdj79 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indestructible 47

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey there fellas,

This thread is about my 1hd fte equipped hdj79. I am always looking to increase my knowledge, and i am going to post what i do with the motor and how it performs here so i can get feedback, and others can follow along. Some basic specs on the motor as it stands:

Rebuilt 10k ago, was a perfectly good motor prior to rebuild
3" straight through exhaust
Safari armax snorkel

Eventually i would like to do some serious performance mods to this thing, namley a PDI 76mm intercooler and a gturbo, and +70 injectors in the hope of 1000+nm. I will also like to have an adjustable tune, so i can tune it back at the twist of a knob or push of a button, so that i can run lower boost levels for day to day driving and if others drive the ute. I plan on doing the mods properly and not on the cheap, so this is going to be long term.

Next mod i will be doing is a egr delete. My question is, can i drill the egr delete plate exhaust side for a egt probe, and will this be a accurate reading spot? I realise that i need the probe pre turbo for a reliable reading.

This is the oil colour after 2000ks:
so, looks to be a healthy motor if this is a good indication

20190311_110851.jpg

20190311_110821.jpg

I'd also keep an eye on Eclipse Turbo Systems for your performance mods. From what I've seen some great products about to launch and not just turbos either. Jeez my oil wouldn't be that clean after 20k never lone 2000!
Thanks for the feedback, I'm definitely keeping my options open at the moment, but i am looking at going with an intercooler before an upgraded turbo.

I have a PDI intercooler, it was a really easy kit to install. Nothing to special about them but everything is included and the instructions are really detailed so it's a breeze to install.

I have a PDI intercooler, it was a really easy kit to install. Nothing to special about them but everything is included and the instructions are really detailed so it's a breeze to install.
Do you have a build thread that i can have a read of? I am interested in assessing options as best as i can. Also, can i ask what motor you have and in what vehicle? Thats good feedback, which is what I'm after so i appreciate it.

Well, fuel economy on this old girl ain't so shabby, got 700kms from ~ 70L so far on the sub tank. Main tank was about 550kms pulling a 3t trailer for a good 400kms of it. Still got 10L in the main and 20L in the sub.

Nice oil, but it should be that clean after 2k. In fact it should be that clean for quite a while. Mine still looks new at 5k, starts to darken about 6-7k. At 10k it's still cleaner than a 1hz after initial start to get oil pressure...

Why was it rebuilt if it was perfectly good? Your performance goals sounds spot on, Gturbo is where it's at. I think the new eclipse ones are only good to 20 psi? Gturbo can go WAY over that. PDI are probably the best intercoolers, if you have the money go for it. Did you modify a vdj armax? As far as I was aware they weren't available for HDJs yet?

The EGR spot is the perfect place for an EGT probe, post turbo is a really poor place for a probe as it's an estimation at best. The EGR spot is ready made. I cut the pipe off and reused the flange (just welded the bung in). It's reading cylinder 6 more than the others but that's good as it's the hottest cylinder.

Your performance goals sounds spot on, Gturbo is where it's at. I think the new eclipse ones are only good to 20 psi? Gturbo can go WAY over that. PDI are probably the best intercoolers, if you have the money go for it.

I believe at the moment on the Eclipse website they only have one turbo model listed but I know there's going to be a few different options including one for the guys that are only chasing huge power and plan to run much higher than 20psi. You also need to keep in mind that boost doesn't really give an indication of actual on road performance although it does seem rather impressive on the boost gauge. I'd definitely be keeping an eye on what they are up too as I know first hand how good there turbos drive :).

PDI are good because it all comes in an easy to install kit and they perform quite good but if you are after best possible performance you can get it could be improved on. Some of the tank design, core size and size of pipework could be improved which would add up to give you the best possible solution but for the large majority of people it's totally fine and offers great performance compared to others.

Does anyone know of a decent throttle controller for a hdj79? I was gunna get an idrive but it appears that they don't support hdj79s yet unfortunately.

Nice oil, but it should be that clean after 2k. In fact it should be that clean for quite a while. Mine still looks new at 5k, starts to darken about 6-7k. At 10k it's still cleaner than a 1hz after initial start to get oil pressure...

Why was it rebuilt if it was perfectly good? Your performance goals sounds spot on, Gturbo is where it's at. I think the new eclipse ones are only good to 20 psi? Gturbo can go WAY over that. PDI are probably the best intercoolers, if you have the money go for it. Did you modify a vdj armax? As far as I was aware they weren't available for HDJs yet?

The EGR spot is the perfect place for an EGT probe, post turbo is a really poor place for a probe as it's an estimation at best. The EGR spot is ready made. I cut the pipe off and reused the flange (just welded the bung in). It's reading cylinder 6 more than the others but that's good as it's the hottest cylinder.
Yep the more kms i am putting on it, the smoother it's getting as well. Oil is still that clean done 5000kms now.

I thought i covered it but maybe it was the other thread. This motor had 30x,xxxkms on it when it was brought for this cruiser. The owner decided to have it rebuilt and be done with the engine rather than face a rebuild in a few years with a motor that was in unknown condition. Turns out it was good but done anyhow.

I'm going pdi, I'm not going to try and set records in this cruiser, i just want a powerful daily.

Armax is now available for a hdj79.

Sweet thanks for that info on the egt stuff.

Does anyone know how much more boost i can run without changing to a dte module? Thought is i want to run a intercooler as i have mentioned and am keen to bump up my boost to 15psi or so on the stock turbo. Will i be able to do this and keep the afrs around the 22:1 mark? As in will the computer let me have the extra fuel. I will one day get a dte module and a aftermarket turbo but i can't afford it yet, so am trying to do a step at a time. I'm not going to do a intercooler at the moment if i can't significantly gain anymore power without the dte module. If there is another way to go I'm all ears. Thanks!

I can get 15.9 before fuel cut - as said no point in going higher than your fuel cut but the ecu will add fuel until then. If you get a dte it should have a built in voltage clamp so you can go as ouch as you want. But the stock turbo starts living on the edge over about 17-18psi

I can get 15.9 before fuel cut - as said no point in going higher than your fuel cut but the ecu will add fuel until then. If you get a dte it should have a built in voltage clamp so you can go as ouch as you want. But the stock turbo starts living on the edge over about 17-18psi
Thanks for that, i only want to run 15psi on the stock turbo which is brand new so it should be ok untill i get another one.

Okay been awhile, but I'm getting ready to see this thing give me some more pepper. I have installed vdo boost and egg gauges and a mbc. The get gauge is in the manifold where the egr pipe normally comes out of. Seems to work well. I have a problem with my boost gauge though, I stuffed the air hose connection on the manifold inlet side and am running a slip fitting but I think it is leaking air: under full boost the gauge drops back to 4-5 psi (mbc off so stock tune). Was reading 8-9 psi on the stock tune before.

So my question is, what can I get out of the stock turbo boost wise before I need to upgrade that? I want to get a pdi installed, but I'm not in a position to spend on a pdi, ECU, clutch and turbo right now. I know that I will reduce the turbo capacity psi wise when I install the intercooler because of air density, but I am hoping that I can get enough out of the stock turbo to make it worthwhile doing. If I can't, I will just save up for a turbo but for now don't care if I don't have to spend the cash on it. What are my boost limits on the stock turbo, with and without an intercooler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom