1fzfe motor mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm so pissed I could scream. I can't get the motor mounts to line up on my 1fzfe. For those that have replaced motor mounts or installed a motor, how did you do it?

I helped a buddy replace a pair, and we couldn't get them to line up either. So, we loosened the bolts up until we got them connected, then tightened all of them up. One bolt was really difficult to get to, but it worked.

Doug

I've tried with no bolts, all bolts tight, bolts loose, etc. Did you use a hoist on the motor or a floor jack? I've got the motor, tranny, and t-case suspended and still can't get them to line up. If I put one mount on the frame w/o bolts holding it to the block, I still can't get the other side on.

Maybe I should loosen the mount itself? I'll try that tomorrow after I'm done screaming.

We were using floor jacks. And yes, that's what I mean. We had the mount loosely mounted to the block so when we were close on lining up to the frame, we could move it a bit to get the frame bolts started. When all was said and done, we could tell there was a lot of pressure on the mount - it's rubber portion was slightly distorted from true when the bolts were tight. Man, that's gotta be frustrating with all that stuff hanging. Wonder if there's a logical sequence like tranny/TC/block, or something that someone can share?

Doug

Cruiserman: I feel your pain! :D I replaced the motor mounts on my FJ60 about 2 months ago and it was one of the most agravating jobs I have ever done. I did this with out removing anything else, but man it was tight. My buddy and I were past the point of screaming and almost ready to start getting destructive. :mad: After about 2 & 1/2 hours of fighting we finally got them in. All I used was a floor jack under the oil pan (w/ 2x4's) and a couple of HD pry bars. It was really a miracle we got them in. I found that you can use leverage to compress the rubber mounts and give you those all important extra mm's. Be careful not to lose any fingers in the process and check for enigine/fan clearnace when jacking it up/down.
I hope this helps. GOOd LUCK!

Remember it helps to hold your mouth right :cheers:

Eric -

Warning - not 80 specific...

Last time I did a motormount, I used 2 of the tapered (looks like a giant awl) round prybars (one of the few Snap On tools I own). As we repositioned the engine for the 30th time,we ran the prybars thru the engine mounts and down into the frame mounts. Then we shoved on the bars and hammered them down until it lined up.

Jim

Harbor Freight at Fairview and Five Mile has tapered round pin punches and pry bars in a wide range of sizes - sold in sets for cheap. They should have something that will work or PM me and borrow mine. Good luck.

David

The problem is that I left the mount itself in place on the frame, tightened up. I need to loosen it up. I spent an afternoon a while back putting new motor mounts in my old chevy p/up with 292. A harrowing experience until all fasteners were loose. I never learn.

Dealing with the valves, camshafts, etc. was absolute cake compared with this crap.

Success! Robbie recommended installing driver's side mount loose, and rotating motor away from PS mount. It worked.

Time for bed. Already had a #6 w/dinner.

Cool. Can you still count to 10??

Doug

Yeah. I always used my toes for that.

Thanks for the help.

FYI Doug I got a sales catalog from AIM Surplus today. Lots of good ammo deals.

[quote author=Sage link=board=2;threadid=6557;start=msg53418#msg53418 date=1066773232]
Harbor Freight at Fairview and Five Mile has tapered round pin punches and pry bars in a wide range of sizes - sold in sets for cheap. They should have something that will work or PM me and borrow mine. Good luck.

David

[/quote]

David, Thanks for the offer. I've been over there a few times. I managed to get the mounts in place.

Eric,

Do they have the new Cor-Bon Power Ball (sp?) with the polymer ball on its front?

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom