1FZ-FE into a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to rebuild or replace the 2F engine in my 85 FJ60. I don't like the idea of rebuilding the 2F engine and still being stuck with an underpowered carb'd engine. The SBC swap seems pretty common and well documented, plenty of parts from Downey, Advanced Adapters, etc. I've even thought about doing a Cummins 4BT swap but that would be way over my head and I would like to drive this in the next decade.

Has anyone swapped a 1FZ-FE from a FZJ80 into a FJ60? I have found a complete engine/auto tranny and transfer case that I could use as a donar. I have the 4 speed manual and would like to get the overdrive gearing. The ideal situation (if its worth the effort) is to put the 1FZ-FE engine and auto tranny and attach it to my stock 60 split transfer case. So what am I in for if I do this? Or should I just get a 5.3L chevy and 4l60e and call up Downey for the rest of the parts?

The 1FZ would be cool, but Im afraid the 5.3 makes more sense money wise. If I was going to do a Toyota swap, I would go with a 2UZ (4.7L V8), 100 series tranny and 80 series tcase.

Please note that this member has a great deal of experience with engine swaps. The latest issue of Toyota 4WD magazine features his awesome FZJ45. His signature line shows that Mr. Waggoner has apparently exchanged his FZ engine for a Toyota V-8.:bounce:

In answer to your question I do believe that TLC in California has swapped the FZ
engine into a 60 series, although I can't give you a link to it.

Gary, thanks for the advice. Your 45 on an 80 frame is the coolest LC I have ever seen. Just curious, what makes the 1fz swap more expensive? I found an engine, trans, and tc for less than 2k. Seems like this swap would be straight forward but I look forward to your input.

I don't think the vortec is less/ more money. I think what Gary is saying is that for time/ $$ invested a V8 makes more sense. More power, better fuel economy, parts souce etc.

I do like the idea of the 1zfe though. I would do a supercharger, euro 5 speed, 80 tc with diff lock.

just thinking out loud.

clint

I think I'd only do the 1FZ if I had a smokin' deal on it. You can get an '02-ish 5.3L vortec with 10 miles on it for around 1500, which would be a lot more motor, and you can program a profile to perform more or less how you like. Add 4L60E or 4L80E and you can program those too. 6.0L vortecs are not a lot more in this economy. Toyota V8s are only going to cost more, but will probably perform awesome.

Or come to the dark side and do a 1HZ(add a turbo), HD-T, 12H-T. Cost will go up for the engine/trans and you will have to really want an oil burner to wipe out the cost factor. But the guy doing mine will end up with the majority of the work done in 2 weekends, with finishing stuff like gauges to do.

good advice

I know that a 5.3L and a 6.0L are great options. I also like the idea of putting in a 4BT, but that seems a whole lot more complicated. The Chevy swap would be really easy if the rear diff in a LC was in the middle. Then I could use a 203/205 doubler behind a 5.3L and 4l60e and be done with it. I guess I could swap in a Ford 9inch, 14 bolt, or even a Toyota 8inch in the back.

This will be my first engine swap and I want to keep it as simple as possible. Thanks for the great advice from everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom