1fz-fe (96) engine HG job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm looking for a reputable shop / private mechanic for a HG job on my '96 1fz-fe engine (246K km original engine). Greater Vancouver area plus Squamish, Abbotsford up to and included Chililwack.
The engine and tranny is sitting in my garage in long block kind of stage, no accessories. The engine has a confirmed HG failure, at cyl 6 as usual, coolant leaking at exterior not in the cylinder - no white smoke, no cyl. pressure loss, no traces of oil / exhaust gasses in the coolant. This was documented before engine removal - video taken with the coolant pouring out, cyl pressure tests revealed no abnormal pressure differences among the cylinders.
I have the OEM HG gasket kit (the Engine Valve Grind Kit - 04112-66030) plus the oil cooler gaskets (2 pcs x 15785-66010 and 1 pc x 15725-66010).
Most likely the head needs to be resurfaced (hopefully the block is OK ...), valves re-seated and so on....

Please let me know...

Last edited:
Thats the place.

Jason @Cruisin' at Cruisin' Off Road has done some HD-T head gaskets as well, might be worth an email but I kinda think he's pretty swamped ATM.

Thank you also for suggestions. I know Jason at Cruisin' Off Road, he did my skid-plates, and he's doing the sliders as well... I was not aware he's doing engine work (HG job) as well.... worth a shot anyway.... Thanks again...

I've not done a 1FZ, so its not so much in my comfort zone. And as Norm mentioned it would be a while before I could get to it.

That is really weird. It seems that there are more options available down in WA (Seattle area) for this job.
I got multiple shops in WA willing to take this job; and even more weird, a lot cheaper too... I didn't even considering that initially. I'll decide next week which shop exactly but at this point it seems I'll take the engine, tranny and the transfer case down south to have them rebuilt (and the transfer case re-geared with low gears).

@CanVanLX96 Get this figured?

In no particular order: Steve at EBI and Jason at Cruisin have already been mentioned. In Abbotsford I know of and have had work done at: Ryan at Disturbed Industries (x-Toyota Tech), Ernie at Ernies Golden Automotive (x-Toyota Tech) and Paul Carter Automotive (owner has a LandCruiser). In Burnaby there is Mekanix.

Not sure if there is paperwork required to take the drivetrain across (and back) for work. Have you checked what is needed for paperwork and added costs for the trip there and back? TorFab is a LandCruiser specialty shop just north of Seattle.

hth's
gb

Thanks GB,
Thanks for pointing the paperwork requirement, I'll take another detailed look into that, but my initial inquiry about the whole process pointed to the fact that I "might" be asked to pay taxes on the labor involved upon entering back in Canada. It seems that for the BC guys, the practice to have the engines rebuilt in Seattle area shops it's pretty common as I could find to my extreme surprise. Specifically the Toyota Supra guys bluntly mentioned "don't bother looking for a shop here (in Greater Vancouver area) check the Seattle area, plenty of quality shops with reasonable prices certainly cheaper than Vancouver..." So certainly after talking with few Supra owners in Vancouver they all mentioned they had their engines rebuilt in various shops down south in WA or even Cali (before importing their cars here...). That was a shock to me... So following the Supra guys lead I started engaging the shops recommended and pretty much all of them were open to take the job and the prices quoted were quite a bit cheaper than the Vancouver area shops. Really weird ! (it must be the cost of living here ...!!!???)
Just for the kicks I asked few shops in Calgary area and their prices were significantly cheaper; with the least time spent (one shop mentioned 2 days including the Cyl head complete rebuild !!!.)
Anyway I pretty much narrowed down to a relatively new shop, also owned by an ex-Toyota mechanic. I just need to iron out the last details.
Thanks again for the local shops recommendations.

Regards

Just double check with Canada customs about bringing to back. It will be a lot cheaper
if you are up front with them. If you get quotes, copy them and then keep them with
the invoices when you return.

Hey cruiserpilot, thanks for advice. I was definitely planning to keep all the job info (communications including pics along the way, quotations, invoices, receipts and so on) and be upfront at the border (back and forth); a power train (shiny rebuilt engine + tarnny + transfer case) on a trailer would be really hard to hide. However there are anecdotal stories of people bringing back their shiny rebuilt engines (in the back of their pick-up trucks) being asked by the border agents what is that and them explaining the whole thing without hiding anything and clearly providing all the info / papers, getting the thumbs up from the border agent without anything else, just "That is cool..." and "Have a good day..."
Regards,

clearly providing all the info / papers, getting the thumbs up from the border agent without anything else
This has been my experience lately, but have been under $500.

Pretty easy really.
Before you head across the border stop on the Canadian side. Ask to have a green information card filled out.
This card is filled out by you, write down the serial number, engine number etc etc. The Customs clerk will verify the information and provide you with a sticker that you will apply to your components.
Get work done in WA, have a receipt from shop upon re entry into Canada. You will pay duty on work done.
Really easy as long as you know how to play the game. Good luck.

^^^Thats the best explanation I’ve seen. Thank you, very good information.
I will file that away

Nitpicking, but on top of duty did you get charged PST/GST as well?

Yes you will be charged both taxes, but you could ask for a second invoice, nudge nudge wink wink if you know what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom