1997 LX450 w/lockers Value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanna buy an LX450, 1997 with Lockers and I'm trying to get an idea of their value. What would a fair price to pay for one with say 80k be? I see a lot about the roof racks and running boards, are this wanted or not wanted?

In our part of the world they are going for $14-17K. The roof racks and porches (running boards) are not desirable, just get removed.

I would start with nada.com kbb.com and edmunds.com you will get an idea what they think they are worth, the reality of what the market will bear in you area may be different.

I have not seriously shopped for LX's for a wile but prices are all over the map, from what I have seen lately 80's values have generally fallen, because if this some owners think they are worth more than they are. a year and a half ago I paid 15.5K for my 96 w/106K at the time it was neither a deal nor overpriced, that would be overpriced today, a few years before that almost all were in the 20's

start looking at them, look at/drive all for sale in your area (wont take long every week) get a feel for what is out there and what prices are at, the right one will come along. I looked at many over the course of a few months called about hundreds. I was about to fly out to Texas (free flights) when I found this one.

Get a car fax account, being in AZ I would think you would want one that has spent all of its life in the southwest/south/southeast in that order, it is interesting to look at where a vehicle has been and it’s condition as far as rust, even those that only spent their first few years up north have considerably more rust on hardware and the undercarriage then their southern counterparts.

There's one here in Boise with 70k miles. Guy is asking $18k IIRC. Dunno about lockers.

In the Pacific Northwest they are running in the $14k-$17k as well with less than 100k miles. I have found they tend to be expensive here compared to other areas. Prices can vary dramatically so you need to research in your particular area.

The attitude on this forum is ditch the running boards and get some OEM mud flaps and/or sliders. There is nothing inherently wrong with running boards, but limits ground clearance when off-road.

The roof rack can be a problem as it is prone to causing rust under the 4 feet of the rack. There are some fixes you can do for this as putting a rubber seal underneath the feet or just removing the rack altogether and plugging the holes. Personally I like the OEM roof rack and have taken preventative measures to protect the roof from rust. I also park in a garage which helps.

I wouldn't limit my search to LX450's without running boards and roof racks, just look for one that is in the best condition and lowest miles.

Best of luck,

Russell :cheers:

I bought a 97 LX450 in March for $17k. 80k miles w/ lockers. Just from other responses on the board, I do think they go for a little more up here than elsewhere.

Okay, I was looking at one I was very interested in but it seems people are pretty off base with their prices. I mean I've seen them from $10k with 120,000 to $22k with 90,000 miles. All over the damn board and what they sell for and what's being asked doesn't seem to be the same thing. I can't spend over $14,000 so that's the end of the story for me.

Any real reason to go with the 1997 over the 1996?

Thanks a lot guys, I sort of have time on my side so I guess that's about what I need.

Adam

solely being younger a 97 should have slightly more resale valuable if you go to sell it in the hear future, if you are like most of us you will keep it for many years/forever and by then condition not year will be the driving factor for price. Up front the average 97 costs slightly more than the average 96.

In the LX the only difference I know of is the 97 does not have the “Full Time 4 wheel drive” emblem on the back,

I am not aware of any 96/97 differences in the LC except for the optional 40th anniversary edition and “collector edition” both of witch were only available in 97, both add a few items mostly trim and badges, the 40th also gets Auto AC borrowed from the LX and a two tone interior, both are things that you will either love or hate.

sonoranfun said:
I can't spend over $14,000 so that's the end of the story for me.
Keep in mind most FZJ80's under 120k miles have not had their birfield service. That's fairly spendy maintenance item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom