For Sale 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 12 Valve Cummins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had mentioned in another thread I am going to sell my beloved 12 valve Cummins. It is a 97 long bed, extended cab, 4x4 auto with the sport package. Just turned 184,000 miles. White exterior with a tan leather interior, near new 315/75r16 BFG AT/KOs. Has a Leer (I think...) campershell with Yakima rack system. Camper is currently dark green, but actually looks OK. Truck is mechanically immaculate. New lift pump and delivery valve about 5k ago, along with Autometer fuel (oil) pressure gauge setup. Pump timing was just reset. New fuel lines, tabbed KDP (killer dowel pin), valves adjusted every 20k. Would not hesitate to drive it from Alaska to Chile. Most who know these trucks are aware that the auto trans is its weak point. ( although some will argue the 5 speed is no better) I have had no problems whatsoever out of this one, but I also have changed the filter and fluid every 15-20k with ATF +4 only, adjusted the bands at the same time and leave the OD off below 55mph. Drive train is all stock except for the air box ( open K&N style) and 4" turbo back exhaust. Thats the good, the less than excellent: The clear has started to come off the roof (not Toyota quality), doesn't look bad at all, but none the less. The drivers seat is showing its age, still comfy as hell, but shows wear. Only other thing I can think of is a crack in the upper dash. Unfortunately a very common problem. I would encourage anyone interested in a Cummins powered anything to check out the guys at www.dieseltruckresource.com . Tons of great info. I know this is a frustrating novel to read with no pictures, I will put them up as soon as possible.:eek: I am located in Chapel Hill, NC, about 30 minutes from Raleigh. $9900.

Those 12 Valves are the best !

Pics would be a nice touch when you can get them posted.

Those dashes are bad about cracking, but there are some cover-lays for them for a reasonable price.....

Glad you got the KDP fixed.

180,000 miles is near the limits for those automatics from what I have heard, but it all depends on what you have hauled, or how it has been driven, etc.

(My '91 1st Gen W350 has 300,000+ on the Cummins and G360 trans. All original.....even the clutch. Still strong....The 360 5 speed is a good trans......just shift it slow, smooth and square, as they say...and overfill it by 1 quart !! It is my DD at the moment !!!!!)

I assume your '97 has AC that works well.(maybe I missed it in your post)....don't need it tonight.....it is 30 degrees right now.......but come JULY !!!!!

Interested in any trades/partial trades? Thanks

Yes, AC works. 30 degrees sounds nice about now, it was 16 when I went to work this morning. Never thought I would need a cold weather kit in central NC... I apologize for the lack of pics again, I feel like a total hypocrite having posted without... I'll take some tomorrow and get them up. My understanding is that the trans had been replaced once before around 110,000 at the dealership. I can't find the paperwork for it, so I won't swear to it. I've always babied it, the most I ever hauled was around 7,000lbs and I honestly forgot it was back there. But with the boat happily at the coast, I just don't need it anymore. I love it, and average around 18mpg with a mix of in town and back roads, and hit 25mpg on the highway, its hard to justify it to the better half at this point. I will just have to wait for my 80 with a 4bt in it.

Sorry, missed the trade part, but right now I don't have the space for much else, unless someone has a small aircraft that needs a little TLC...

Jeeze, I just gave my airplane away last week....SDF.

Kidding of course......wish I really had one, or do I ??

Post pics when you can. Sounds like a nice truck.

Pics

Took a bit, but I finally have some pics...
P1010260.jpg

P1010256.jpg

P1010243.jpg

P1010244.jpg

Looking over the truck, the paint is its biggest flaw. It definitely doesn't look terrible, but its hard to see in the pictures. I have a couple more if people would like, but this is the idea.

Forgot a couple of things, windows are tinted, Infinity sound system, power driver seat. Oh and the picture of the roof:
P1010253.jpg

Truck looks very nice in the pics. Except for the leather seat cover.
The dash is an easy fix.

I have 2 trucks that I would trade, or else I would have to sell them to get the $$ for a cash sale.

1991 Dodge Cummins, 5 speed Getrag, W350, Reg cab, SRW. Loc-Rites x2. clean, no rust. Banks SS turbo back Power Pack exhaust. Stock otherwise. Runs great. Has been in the family since new. Has AC, but needs to have a leak fixed. 300K miles.

1992 F350 C-Cab SRW, XLT. 118K miles, 460, 5 speed. AC works great...R134 conversion, Rear Posi, All new brakes including drums & rotors. Very clean.

I have not advertised these vehicles FS yet.......not sure what they will bring, or how long it would take to sell them at this time !

That is my situation at this time.

Have you had any issues with the dreaded DEATH WOBBLE in the front end ??

It is a scary and common problem with the '94 and up Dodge 4x4s.

There is a steering box reinforcement mod, and a few other steering and suspension link upgrades that can fix that issue.
It can run into a few $$ to address all the contributing factors.

Never had a problem with the front end, with the exception of replacing the ball joints a while ago. I looked into the track bar upgrade and the braces, but it drives so nicely I never got around to it. I'm not looking to get into another vehicle right now, but let me know if they sell. I'm not in a huge rush to get rid of it, this is actually the only place I have it advertised right now. I will let everybody know if it sells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom