For Sale 1996 Lexus LX 450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. LX450
Mileage
Color
black
I have used this forum to research things about my truck, but never to buy or sell. I have a single owner 1996 Lexus 450 with 90K miles that I have to sell.
What is the best way to sell it on this site? How to price it? I see most of the cars in the classified are nice examples from nice weather states. I am in NJ. I could sell it locally on Autotrader but I want it to get a good home.
Mike

That's an interesting question.

If it were me, I'd start by looking at every 1996-1997 LX 450 that is being sold here, on Facebook marketplace, bring a trailer, Craigslist, autotrader, cars.com, cargurus, ebay, and any other place I could think of. Then I'd come up with a reasonable price for my rig based on everything I just looked at. FWIW, bring a trailer will also show you a chart of the historical sales and non-sales of all 80 series listed on their site when you search for them.

If I wanted to make sure it went to a good home, I'd probably list it here or maybe on bring a trailer. Either site would probably give you the best shot at selling to an enthusiast. The best way to sell it is to post a ton of pictures, and don't skimp on the interior, engine bay, and undercarriage. I am continually amazed at how many jokers are asking nearly $20,000 for their rig and can't be bothered to snap a single photo of the interior. Personally, I move on in those circumstances because I consider them to either be an un-serious seller, or they're trying to hide something. Either way, my life is too precious to spend it dealing with folks of that ilk.

I hope this helps you on your path, and good luck.

Been looking for the right rig for two years now and have looked at hundreds of for sale ads here and many other places online and have learned a lot. And am still looking.

IMO, the bubble has burst and prices are coming down. Not sharply yet, but it’s happening. Rigs that would have sold in a few days a year ago are up for weeks now.

Based on your post, you do have something unique - a single owner, under 100K 80. And it’s a ‘96, which is a more desirable year. Those factors will help with pricing.

But, the issue that I see potential buyers investigate most is undercarriage rust, and being in NJ, that will be a concern for all but the most un-savvy buyers. Lots of undercarriage pix will be important. If the rust isn’t severe (and at 90k, and depending on how much time it spent on the roads in winter it might not be, even being a Jersey truck) the right shop can detail the undercarriage and clean it up for pics.

You didn’t mention if it was 3XLocked, so I’m assuming it’s not, but if it is, that will also drive the price up.

Finally, it’s black (not a highly desired color like white/dune) and it’s an LX not a LC. So that will effect your price.

Good service records are also are a big help, If the carfax shows a history of regular dealer service that’s a big plus. On the other hand, if there are few service records, of if they show service at Jimmy-Joes Stop n’ Go vs a dealership, that won’t help. I do find that older vehicles have a lot less detail on service in the carfax, though. So any records you have will help.

Lastly, if the truck is stock/unmodified that’s also gonna help your price. Most guys think the optional gear they paid dearly for will make the truck more valuable, but most buyers are really looking for a blank canvas to start with.

Lots of general info, I know, and I agree with LBD above on a lot of comp research to hone in on your specific price, but these are the things I’ve learned that most influence the sale of a rig and the price it’ll bring. Hope it helps.

BTW, I’m in NJ too, where are you located?

GLWS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom