Builds 1996 KZJ78 Family Wagon Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've kind of been using this rig, (I don't know who it belongs to) for inspiration even though its a different year/model. The mud tires aren't cutting it for our Wyoming winters so I found this 5th gen 4runner wheel to be easy to find, cheap and a great alternative for a winter set of wheels/tires. The style I think looks ok with the 70 series body lines as well. The vehicle handles so much better now on snowy roads.

View attachment 3235206

View attachment 3235208Great build, man. Been wrestling with the wheel and tires on my rig. What size wheel/tire combo do you have in this above pic? Do you find the ride better on pavement than with the general grabbers/aggressive muds?

@NJ KZJ78
So those are 17" 4runner wheels with I believe 285 75 17 tires (equivalent to the 33 MT I ran in the summer) but are a bit narrower. The ride was smoother and quieter due to the winter tread pattern. To be honest though, with the Ironman 3" lift it handles quite squirrely especially at higher speeds, no matter what wheels/tires you have. It may be that you need to address your suspension more than wheels/tires if its handling you are concerned about? There are some castor correction solutions out there as you may know, but not many that are easily available. Some company in Thailand makes drop brackets for the front lower control arms that is supposed to help alot with castor correction, I have seen them on ebay. There are also drop brackets for the stabilizer bars and control arms. Most people don't go to the extra expense to get these installed.

There is a discussion on Facebook North America 70 series group of Delta designing some castor corrected lower control arms to be made available for sale soon so that could be a potential future solution for many Prado Owners. I no longer own this rig but if I could go back and do it again, my advice would probably be to stay closer to stock suspension height, I think Dobinsons offers stock height and 1.5" lift suspension kits and closer to stock tire size but a good off road all terrain like a BFG KO2 and call it a day if you want to have reasonable handling on road and do some occasional offroading. If you are offroading the vehicle 80% of the time, sure go for the huge lift and tires and it'll perform better but for all around use, closer to stock suspension height is the way to go on these and they are still quite capable offroad. Adding big lift and tires to a daily driving type rig all you are gaining is the cool looks but the compromise is definitely there in handling and performance on road. Just my opinions of course.

I put the Cruiser Consoles speaker pods on my KZJ71 and they are worth every penny. They look so factory they fool everyone. I used the old speaker location to put tweeters with the woofers in the door. The cavity behind the door card on these is perfect so there is no cutting of the metal involved. c2dfj45 imports these to the states and sells them so you dont get killed on shipping.

View attachment 2920948
Epaul, i know you dont have your truck anymore but did it greatly improve sound quality? Gracias

I still have my truck. And yes, made a world of difference. The 4” dash speakers are awful. I also added a subwoofer under the passenger seat.

The build looks great!

I just picked up my first Prado and I'm excited to get to work on it. I see your part numbers for the rear mud guards, do you happen to have a link for the front mudguards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom