Builds 1996 KZJ78 Family Wagon Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

super clean rig, wasn't a huge fan of the beige fender-ed prados but this is changing my mind.

looking forward to seeing more
Agreed, if you think about it though, they are basically the same fender setup as the 76 series wagons currently available new from Toyota in Australia which I think look great. Charcoal grey looks less dated than the beige imo. Too bad we don't get those in USA. The front end is obviously different, just about everything from the front fenders back identical tho.

76 wagon.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed, if you think about it though, they are basically the same fender setup as the 76 series wagons currently available new from Toyota in Australia which I think look great. Too bad we don't get those in USA. The front end is obviously different, just about everything from the front fenders back identical tho.

View attachment 2928766

That's a great point, not sure why I never thought about it that way. That red looks great too

ARB Solis lights are a nice addition for night driving. I have them on multiple vehicles now. The adjustable brightness makes them adaptable for your conditions. I had to create a better platform for these to bolt to. Welding probably would have been better but I hated to mess up the powder coating. This also offsets the lights back into the bumper to protect them from impact which I was unfortunate enough to test the next day.

IMG_20220121_140916.jpg

20220305_163950.jpg

Wheels and tires arrived, got them mounted and installed. These are Vision 16" x 8" wheels. They do not clear front calipers without wheel spacers. Not alot of wheel options besides stock for the KZJ. Spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers set the wheel out where it needs to be to fill out the fenders so it'll work for now. Tires are General Grabber X3's 285 75 16 basically a 33" x 10.5". They look good and don't impede performance much or rub so I'm happy. I wouldn't go any bigger though.

20220303_191412.jpg

20220303_191354.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
ARB universal compressor mount worked like a charm on the inner fender near the battery for a compressor mount as well as some other electronic accessories. Single ARB compressor fit in there just right allowing room for the bus bars and switch pod control. The ARB extension kit and some extended lines allowed fitment of an onboard air source on the front bumper. Very handy so far. I need a blank from wits end to keep it clean.

Mount kit ARB #3501010
Remote Coupling Kit ARB #171314

IMG_20220318_160616.jpg

20220318_191743.jpg

IMG_20220330_145731.jpg

IMG_20220330_160414.jpg

20220408_161053.jpg

After some inspiration from Overland Bound and others, I decided to tackle a drawer system and maybe? sleep platform with built in Dometic drawer fridge. I've already been using the fridge, for my occasional trips and weekend use, this is going to be a perfect fit. Not alot of room back there but I'm going to incorporate the Ironman 13 gallon water tank as well. Removed the 3rd row seats, got the main frame roughed out in 1/2" baltic birch and will work on this over the next few weeks. Suggestions welcome

Dometic CD-30 Fridge: Dometic CoolMatic CD 30 - Compressor Refrigerator, 1 cu ft, low-profile, DC operation - https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoor/food-and-beverage/refrigerators/boat-refrigerators/dometic-coolmatic-cd-30-55611?adcopylabel=&contenttype=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjN-SBhCkARIsACsrBz6MUToyRBUdFc7ZomPUvNT4ro6x6swR5MsumQcp--LIedkhC7gYDIcaAqULEALw_wcB

Ironman Water Tank: 50L Tapered Water Tank - 13 Gal - https://ironman4x4america.com/50l-tapered-water-tank-13-gal/?sku=IWT006N&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjN-SBhCkARIsACsrBz7ooN56mDIhXC9ymPNUcPw5aXZlFl26qs-EDmFYTY7Z6BA66cyZ5xgaAlz2EALw_wcB

20220401_190842.jpg

20220401_194156.jpg

20220406_214532.jpg

Last edited:
Wheels and tires arrived, got them mounted and installed. These are Vision 16" x 8" wheels. They do not clear front calipers without wheel spacers. Not alot of wheel options besides stock for the KZJ. Spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers set the wheel out where it needs to be to fill out the fenders so it'll work for now. Tires are General Grabber X3's 285 75 16 basically a 33" x 10.5". They look good and don't impede performance much or rub so I'm happy. I wouldn't go any bigger though.

View attachment 2981441

View attachment 2981442
what is the offset on the wheels? More than the factory -22?
Looking at getting Mickey Thompson Classic III wheels with a -22 offset in a 16x8, and wondering if I'll have the same problem...

what is the offset on the wheels? More than the factory -22?
Looking at getting Mickey Thompson Classic III wheels with a -22 offset in a 16x8, and wondering if I'll have the same problem...
These Vision wheels have a -19 offset if I remember correctly, which isn't quite as much as factory. I was thinking of running them without wheel spacers to see if I liked how they fit up but realized the shape of the wheel doesn't work with the front brake caliper and so the wheel spacers are required to run this wheel. I have installed with Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers. They stick out a little further than I would have preferred but it works for me. The Tacoma or FJ Cruiser steel wheels are an option too, they have a +15 offset though, so the spacers are needed even more so on those wheels.

These Vision wheels have a -19 offset if I remember correctly, which isn't quite as much as factory. I was thinking of running them without wheel spacers to see if I liked how they fit up but realized the shape of the wheel doesn't work with the front brake caliper and so the wheel spacers are required to run this wheel. I have installed with Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers. They stick out a little further than I would have preferred but it works for me. The Tacoma or FJ Cruiser steel wheels are an option too, they have a +15 offset though, so the spacers are needed even more so on those wheels.
I just purchased factory 70 series steel rims that should not require wheel spacers or anything. The part number is 42601-60262-03 I am super excited to get some more sensible 235 85 16 tires on mine haha.

I just purchased the rims yesterday and should be in next week. I for sure will post pics. Cant wait to have the smaller mounted to them! funny most people are trying to do the opposite of me.
right.. If I didn't have those fender flares, I'd be going you direction with it as well. Probably handle alot better.

Reactions: BTV
right.. If I didn't have those fender flares, I'd be going you direction with it as well. Probably handle alot better.

I met Brad Uban last weekend He came down here with a bj74. a few guys in eastern NC on Mud know him as well (Hoping to meet up with them all in Wilmington) anyways his land cruiser was very close to the color of mine and had these rims with a 285 75 16 tire. It gave me a good idea how it would look and it pushed me to just make the purchase. My fiancé hates the tires I have now and I never liked the wide tires so it did not take much convincing haha.

Dometic drawer fridge in the back with concealed 13 gallon water tank and sleep platform that slides forward over the middle row of seats. I plan to hinge the two side top panels for access to storage and water pump/electronic components that will go in there.

There will be a slide out drawer with table / food prep surface on a seperate slider underneath the drawer. I will then spray the face charcoal grey and carpet the top surface and mount some US Cargo Control tracks for securing gear.

20220523_180949.jpg

20220523_181004.jpg

View attachment 2981441

View attachment 2981442
Quick question on the wheels you ordered and didn’t fit: what was the wheel model? Was it These: Vision Wheels Soft 8 Wheel 15x8 6x139.7 -19mm Black | 85H5883NS - https://www.vividracing.com/vision-wheels-soft-wheel-15x8-6x1397-19mm-black-p-152574686.html?cat=6424

Reason I ask is that I was going to order those vision 8x15 wheels with -19 offset. The stock wheels are -22 so I assumed that 2mm of difference won’t cause any issues. But after reading your post I just wanted to be sure…thanks.

Quick question on the wheels you ordered and didn’t fit: what was the wheel model? Was it These: Vision Wheels Soft 8 Wheel 15x8 6x139.7 -19mm Black | 85H5883NS - https://www.vividracing.com/vision-wheels-soft-wheel-15x8-6x1397-19mm-black-p-152574686.html?cat=6424

Reason I ask is that I was going to order those vision 8x15 wheels with -19 offset. The stock wheels are -22 so I assumed that 2mm of difference won’t cause any issues. But after reading your post I just wanted to be sure…thanks.
The shape of the wheel at least on the 16" ones I have, conflicted with the front brake caliper. So, I was still able to use them but ONLY with the spider Trax 1.5" wheel spacers as explained in my post. I think this is somewhat common on any aftermarket wheel for these vehicles so you might as well order some spacers too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom