1996 80 series needs new motor is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 96 LC FZJ80 and I was told by the dealership and another shop the motor needs to be replaced. Deraler wants 12K and the other shop wants 7K to 10K. I can buy another LC chraper than that. I have a knock and a rattle and almost no oil pressure. I just recently put a old man emu lift on it and its in good condition. I live in Arizona where I can use this alot but not sure if there is a better motor to swap to or going back with the same kind. Looking for some help on this subject .

for 12k you could have a diesel swap done. if you patient you can find a used motor in decent shape a lot of guys are pulling out a decent motor for diesel swaps.

motor blues

I had the same thing two years ago. Just put new wheels and tires with 2 inch lift and at 180 k the head gasket went, again. I decided on a total rebuild because of the need to deck the block due to some electrolysis. New short block from Toyota and rebuilt the head. Decorated with misc. new parts - $7700 with labor. You might see if a salvage toyota V8 will plug into the wiring harness.

Cross post over on the Copper State Cruisers board. There's a bunch of guys in Tucson that may be able to take a look at it. I wouldn't make any decisions without having someone that really knows 80s check it out.

I would never buy an 80 series knowing that I would immediately need to replace a motor. Too many other good deals out there. I've owned my truck since new and I will have it forever. So when it came time to replace the motor, it was a deeply personal decision. I'm glad I did.

Get a diesel donor truck and send them both to me in denver. Ill do the swap for you for cheap. (With 4 kids under the age of 5 I could use the money). I've already done the swap on my own vehicle... Pm me if interested

There is a engine for sale on Craigslist in Phoenix.

$600 steal. His name is Bryan t602.561.5400

There are plenty if people local who would swap this into your Cruiser. Your talking total job for less then $1500.

Replace the head gasket and a few odds and ends and you have a new truck.

Greg
My number is 602-478-8810

That souds like a great budget deal. I've searched all over on here and not seen anything using any of the cheap engine kits/parts for low budget rebuilds. Lots available so figuring somebody's using them.

Cross post over on the Copper State Cruisers board. There's a bunch of guys in Tucson that may be able to take a look at it. I wouldn't make any decisions without having someone that really knows 80s check it out.

Ditto that x1000 plus a head gasket isn't that big of a deal even with taking the head to the machine shop and having it gone thru. The DVD can walk you thru it pretty easy. If your lower end is in good nick then your costs aren't really bad

theres a guy doing a swap for me in Phoenix that could do a vortec swap for a lot less , the motor and transmission price and how complete it comes will be the variable , the labor is the same .
pm me if you want his name.

Oh another one converted to the Vortec dark side :flipoff2:

i would have already done this had i not decided to do a Gen 4 set up , twice as much for the motor and tranny grr.

Oh another one converted to the Vortec dark side :flipoff2:

i would have already done this had i not decided to do a Gen 4 set up , twice as much for the motor and tranny grr.

Yeah more then likely he's going with a gen 3 motor 6.0l or 5.7l

Get a diesel donor truck and send them both to me in denver. Ill do the swap for you for cheap. (With 4 kids under the age of 5 I could use the money). I've already done the swap on my own vehicle... Pm me if interested

Pm cost!!!

Diesel swaps in arizona are tricky anyway. Engine has to come from another passenger vehicle, same year or newer iirc.

So no 4bt or 4bd1t swaps in az.

What motor did you put in? Cheap? I wish mine ended up being cheap.

Diesel swaps in arizona are tricky anyway. Engine has to come from another passenger vehicle, same year or newer iirc.

So no 4bt or 4bd1t swaps in az.

What is considered a passenger vehicle? I have a 92/92 combo, but I have it registered out of state so I don't have to *** with the emission police.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom