1996 4 Runner fluids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 4 Runner is sitting at 150,000 miles. The truck has been great over the last 9 years that I've had it. My question is about maintenance for a somewhat of a high mileage vehicle (we no toyotas can go for much longer though :) ) I have no problems at all at the moment but was wondering if I should replace all fluids? I'm not very mechanically minded and even if I was...I don't seem to have the time to do it myself. So, what fluids (please list them) would you consider replacing? Anything else I should consider as well.

Of course, I'm sure that you know...oil and antifreeze.

Then there are front and rear diffs and transfer case - all take 90wt gear oil. I prefer Redline Shockproof.

Also the transmission. If you have a manual, its also 90wt gear oil.

If its an auto, then it uses type-iv ATF. If you're not really mechanically inclined then let a shop do this. Have them take off the pan, replace the filter and drain/refill. DO NOT have them do a power flush. I've heard too many horror stories of people having power flushes done on higher milage transmissions, only to have them fail shortly after. When they do a power flush, it basically flushes all of the gunk that's built up on the filter back into the transmission. It will also blow seals if they are already starting to get worn or brittle.

Other than that, grease the ujoints on the driveshafts, and thats about it.

all of them.

specifically:

oil, coolant, brakes, powersteering, trans, front diff, tcase, rear diff.

X2 on not doing a power flush on the tranny. just drain, filter clean, refil.

Thanks everyone

Yes, anti freeze and engine oil...good to go...just needed suggestions on the rest.....thanks again.

I will also be doing a complete fluid change and will get mostly all Amsoil products. A bit pricey, but a proven protection.

my compliments to all you guys on changing fluids!
Perhaps a personal preference/pet peeve but I think a regular changing of fluids is the cheapest and best return on maintenance $ that you will spend. Keep a well sealed clean air filter and X2 on coolant before it starts wrecking your rad and heater core.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom