1995 HZJ77 receiver hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What brand do you recommend and where do I get one? I'm in USA if that matters.

You would have to find one overseas, unless you get a rear bumper with a hitch built into it, I think there is only one that is built in the US. If you are not towing anything heavy you could possibly install a hitch that bolts to the rear cross members instead of a pintle hitch, 4 bolts. Don’t have any pictures

I just went through this fiasco for my HZJ76. What the frozen taco says is true... get one from overseas... shipping would be ridiculous because of the weight... or... try to get the peeps at the warehouse measure up an existing hitch to match up with our 70 rear frame. Apparently they cannot do that though, I tried. Custom fabricate one, if you care to.

It really depends what you plan to tow with it. I am only planning to tow around a max 5000lbs, and usually 3000lbs. For me, I also did not want to lose any rear clearance because of some of the terrain I deal with where I live, and considering the stock extended bumpers (what I would LIKE to have for front and rear bumpers, I just cannot justify right now, cost-wise). Sooo... I went with removing the rear tow hook from the cross-member, and fabricating a hitch tube to a 1/2 inch plate, then bolting it to the rear cross-member existing bolts.

It was a great idea... but in reality provided a great opportunity to identify some other issues I needed to deal with first. The rear crossmember is a c-channel with another reversed and welded together. In and of itself, not a big issue... EXCEPT for whatever reason, Toyota decided to leave two large holes that seemed like the only purpose was for road grunge to collect and sit in the c-channels and slowly ROT away the metal and integrity of that cross-member.

I eventually cut out the rear cross-member where it was rusted out and weld in a larger 1/4" c-channel that fit inside the existing infrastructure that was still good. I still utilized the existing support gussets on both sides. I drilled 4 new holes and bolted the receiver directly through the cross-member with 4 high-strength bolts and locknuts.

I plan on putting together a build page once I am finished (but are we EVER finished??) for future reference and to help anyone else that gets one of these units and trying to access parts, etc... but until then, hopefully this will help you out. Pictures:

20210719_143357.jpg

20210719_143449.jpg

Thanks, That would work. I did that or similar on my 78 Prado. I don't need to tow much of a trailer, maybe 2500 total. I use it more for a hitch carrier during hunting season. It allows me to carry a dead animal (deer or pig) on the outside rather than inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom