1994runner spedo/odo dead....HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done a ton of research on this and still have not fixed the problem. My spedo/odo died a few weeks ago and is still dead. My check engine/ o/d light only came on 1 time and then went off. Yesterday my o/d light came back on flashing and then has been off since. I thought the problem was my VSS and I dropped th $200 and replaced it, but NOPE not the problem. Also my trans has been shifting fine and I haven't noticed any other problems. I have a V6 4x4 auto. My questions are:

What else could it be?

Wiring or the other sensor?

Cluster?

Any help would be great before I start dumping more and more $$ into my truck as I just had my headgaskets blow, brakes, tires, and about $5000 into the truck in the past year. Only has 95k on it though!

I can't remember when the change was made from a cable to a sensor. Easy check, climb underneath and find the tail housing of the t-case. There should be either a cable, about the size of a bicycle brake cable connecting to a threaded coupling. Or there will be some wires connecting to a sensor that is threaded into the same spot. The bung on the t-case output will be about an inch in diameter.

I am gonna guess that the cable broke and you will just need to replace it. If it is the sensor, it will be similar in just picking up a new one and swapping it in.

94 should be electrical. I think it goes back to cable in or after 95. I would guess the cluster. I have a 91 and went through and changed the speed sensor and checked the cable. Both were either fixed or fine. Ended up being the cluster. Never dug into fixing the cluster just replaced it with one from the junk yard.

I already replaced the vss in the transfer case....did nothing. I just don't understand why my check engine light keeps coming on and then going off every few days. I think this may have to so something with the wiring from the sensor? If it was just the cluster I shouldn't have a check engine or o/d light coming on correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom