1994 FZJ80 Bringing her back to life (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All.... I purchased a 1994 FZJ80 back in the end of November. Its been sitting for about 4 years though the previous owner did start it up and move it around once a month or so. He started to gather parts to fix it up and then a tree branch fell on the hood as it sat behind his Dads garage. He picked up a hood and mounted it up and put in a new radiator and core support and thats as far as he got.
This LC has had alot of work done to it at the Toyota dealership over the years as I have a folder of receipts about an inch thick. Its had 3 owners before me though the guy I bought it from didnt put too many miles on it. The 2nd owner over heated it and the dealership put a new head gasket on it and rebuilt the entire cylinder head and replaced various other parts at 98K. Then at about 99K the motor developed a rod knock so the dealership rebuilt the entire motor (except cylinder head). They bored the block and put in first oversize pistons, new rods, main bearings, cam, everything pretty much. Then the guy sold it to the guy I bought it from with about 105K on it. It now sits with 149K on it with basically a brand new motor that only has 49K on it. It sounds like a swiss watch.
It has factory lockers too, I knew as soon as I heard the story on it I had to have it . Its my first LC too but not my first Toyota. I've had a Tundra and a few 4Runners over the years and they all served me well.
Overall its in good shape and the previous owner gave me a bunch of spare parts too. 2 knuckle rebuild kits, wheel bearings, toyota oe brake lines, rear brake caliper, factory tool kit and a few other goodies. I bought both toyota shop manuals too and they have already paid for themselves. I think they are a must when working on the LC.
So far I've replaced almost all of the brake lines and one drivers side rear caliper. The brakes have had their challenges and its been a learning experience for me especially with the LSPV and how important it is to bleed that after bleeding each wheel. As you can see by the pics the LC was in pretty rough cosmetic shape when I picked her up.
vkzx8lO93EHQ7_lCbFHPS1Hu8KP0wv_DFmMS87433xo=w270-h202-p-no

deHzN7Giqp2hquo_SQ-lJzxB2OKKP8UGY2yuPV_fOCo=w270-h202-p-no

Ive done alot of scrubbing, sanding, painting and polishing both inside and out to get her to look half way decent. Still have a ways to go but making some progress. I just ordered a new complete exhaust with new O2 sensors and all.

%255BUNSET%255D

spent alot of time on the hood. previous owner had put waaaaay to much bondo in it and with the help of my friend we were able to get it looking pretty good. I used ALL METAL to fill a few dents and dings across the front lip then a coat of evercoat filler and finally some two part spot putty with etching primer on all bare metal and then some filler primer and lots of sanding. Doing this one hood gave me a whole new respect for body guys. This is white which is easy, couldnt imagine doing a black LC.

V3a12vu2Pdou5aAdCVd00UYKd6BSbfMWYBeYAWDDtcc=w270-h202-p-no

Did two coats of base and two coats of clear. I hope it comes out OK after final sanding and rub out. Definately better then it was.

y1ewCLh4Wh7fgEkqhOGf121VKltXx63rc9i6qrelY2g=w270-h202-p-no

Taking care of various rust spots and door dings and stone chips that turned into little rust spots too

DGU5Fn17sifdYBY21bh2_0K5iApXGzWxYJYA1iE8eQY=w270-h202-p-no

All wet sanded and blended. Hit it with some triple cut and finesse it and it turned out pretty good.

HSnTKTYNnrm_jJvfOP-GVcC6O_lzzljG-NO_sD2zqYk=w270-h202-p-no

Interior is in good shape. Unfortunately both driver and passenger foot well carpets were soaked as the sunroof drains were plugged as well as the windshield had a leak at the upper corner which I fixed. I pealed up carpet and let a blower run on it for 3-4 days and was able to get all the backing and everything dried up pretty good. Now I just need to give the carpets a good cleaning. This summer I will probably take it all out and replace with new.

xpxzcQosmfowOlFltIcGhEKnmGUNU0P_zltrwNRmz6Q=w270-h202-p-no

7x1o5FrOiyDce_936mMMrSHv91HPHFlYvp-mBcGh36U=w276-h207-p-no

I love how this paint and clearcoat clean up. I want the whole truck to look this good eventually.

XzIiqMdl3tFQYdEphNRmaVMw3RrNnR2O5F5r5elMmEM=w270-h201-p-no

Things I still have to do are the complete exhaust, replace the rear window (see my other post on that debacle! :bang:)
I currently have the center console out of it and am working on freeing up the H to L shift lever linkage as that lever will not budge.
Finish tweaking the brakes.
All the windows are pretty slow too. Going to have to pop a door panel off and see whats going on in there and then address each window.
I think the ignition switch might need replaced as I cannot get the radio to come on in "ACC" mode unless I have the key in exactly the right position and then when the LC is running I cant get the radio, clock to come on at all. So something to figure out there.
Put the grill, turn signals and front valance in. I also installed a new hood release cable but the hood will not release. I have to prop the release up with a stick and then push down on the hood and it'll release. I've cleaned and lubed the hood latch a couple times but cant quite get it yet.
So all in all nothing too major. I am really looking forward to getting it back on the road. I did put it up for sale a couple weeks ago as is but then decided that it was better to see the project thru to the end and enjoy driving it for many miles to come. I know this summer I'm going to go over the whole underneath and detail that all out so it doesnt have any rust on it at all. Well Ive rambled long enough...time for a beer and some :popcorn:

Nice find and best of luck. A little elbow grease and you'll have a great machine.

Outstanding! She's looking really good so far.
I envy you guys with the skills and know-how to pull off such a restoration yourselves. You can do mine next if you like. :)

My hood was pretty bad too. I had to polish it with ever more aggressive polishes and pads to get any shine out of it. The roof is even worse with a patch of clear coat failure in the center. I'm gonna hit the hood with a compound this spring. Not sure what to do about the roof.

Good luck with your truck. The seats look great!

Thanks Guys.....these LC's are an addiction! I love reading other guys build threads. The lengths people go to rebuilding and customizing their LC's is impressive for sure. Someday I'd love to do a SOA and really bring out the offroad capabilities of the LC but for now I'll just focus on getting her up and running and logging some miles and working out any bugs. Next summer Im going to remove the roof rack, running boards and do a 2-3 inch lift with some bigger tires and find some factory LC wheels. I am not a fan of the 17" chromes on her now. This summer I am definately going to empty out the inside and pull carpet and do sound deadening and heat barrier coatings. I want to see how quiet I can make the inside and some of the products on the market today are great.

JCruse dont be afraid to get some 1500-2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand that hood and roof. You can rescue some pretty bad finishes with some rubbing. Id suggest some triple cut compound and a variable speed buffer too along with some finess it compound and good wax. Theres lots of how to videos on youtube. Thats pretty much how I learned to do it to my LC. Good Luck!

Looks great. Nice work. Love the white.

For reference don't wet sand in a circle pattern. Only one direction. Front to back.

SOA?? Not trying to be negative but 80s are SOA. If you are meaning Spring OVER axle.

Good point scrowley, I forgot to add that. One other thing dont sand the edges too much of your panels.....you can burn thru real quick. dont ask me how I know.... LOL
When sanding on the hood keep it propped up so you dont sand thru the top of the front fenders also!

Sorry bigfj62, you are correct of course. I confused myself for a minute. I had a 85 Fj60 that I was wanting to SOA but I sold it as I was wanting some of the creature comforts of the 80 series. Now I want a FJ62 though to add to the mix. I love the FJ60 series big body. Geez, I'm getting old.

Got some miles on my LC in the last month. Ended up doing a complete new exhaust with OEM O2 sensors from the manifolds back. Runs like a swiss watch now. Did an oil and filter change this weekend along with a new air filter.
Also cleaned out a huge mouse nest in the blower motor so blower now works great. Heat is still pretty weak so I am suspecting a bad thermostat from the truck sitting for so long. Luckily when new radiator was installed green coolant was used so changing thermostat wont require any backflips or extensive coolant flushes etc.
Also passenger side front wheel bearing preload was incorrect. I took apart and cleaned and inspected everything. Looks like previous owner did not use the fold over tabs on lock washer OR a torque wrench as both nuts were loose. Luckily no damage to bearings or races. Alls good now.
Also dug into none of the windows working very fast at all. Took apart drivers door and looks like window is placed incorrectly in the track. When I remove the window the assembly goes up and down quickly and quietly. When I place window in track and bolt it in the motor is slow and labors alot. The edge of the window by the door lock does not go down all the way into the door. I think fiddling with the placement of the glass in the lower track should fix this hopefully. I did notice the rollers have some place in them too, not sure if thats normal or not. I lubed everything up in there too while I have it open.
Also I fixed the H/L shifter lever linkage that was froze up so now that shifts nice and smooth and I put the center console all back together. Drive it in 4 LO this weekend and tried to engage lockers front and rear but all I get is the flashing light. Couldn't get them to stay on solid. While in 4LO and the locker switch engaged I drove in circles and could feel the 4WD binding slightly like they were working but need to figure out why the lights are flashing.
Absolutely love this thing on snowy roads. I was testing ABS operation and all works good on snow covered roads. Brakes pulse and the LC comes to a stop in a straight line without any sliding. Mash the throttle and all 4 wheels spin and away I go.
Also noticed when I was doing the front wheel bearing that all 4 of my shocks are leaking oil. Assuming this is from dry rot from it sitting. Going to need to address this ASAP as the ride is pretty unstable. Dont have the $$$ for a lift kit right now. I hate to buy stock length shocks now and then this summer I want to do a 3" or 4" lift kit with longer shocks. I am going to do some searching on cheap lift alternatives that I could do for now maybe using Tundra springs or something so that I can buy longer shocks that I could also use with a TJM lift in the future. If anybody has ideas or a budget lift for sale let me know. Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom