1994 FZJ-80 Passenger Side Mirror (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Springdale, Arkansas and Memphis, Tennessee
At some point after getting my cruiser, I noticed that my passenger side mirror was shaking badly, like it was just barely hanging on. I took it apart and found that one of those plastic tabs on the mirror part had broken, and it was only held on by one hook and that screw on the bottom. But the broken part was still rattling around inside the housing, so I JB welded it back on. This held for about 6 months and started shaking again. Then two days ago, the screw fell out somewhere along I-40 on my way back to school.

Is there anywhere that I could purchase just the mirror part, not the entire side mirror housing? The housing is fine, and I'm sure that I can find a screw that works, I just don't want to spend more money than I need to.

If you're not looking at spending more money, just use the JB weld on the tab(s) that are broke and find a screw like you said. That has worked for the last 180K on the 92 and should as well on yours. Lightly sand the areas you are applying JB and clean with rubbing alcohol before applying the goo. That's the cheap fix. One more tip, use plenty of it on both sides (mirror side and housing), put it together and tighten the screw.

Also interested in just sourcing the mirror and backing. My problem started as a broken hook but then progressed to breaking the plastic that the screw threads into while trying to do a zip tie fix.

:doh:

maybe if somebody knows where to source this, it would help OP, myself and probably a few others

I checked with my local toyota parts dealer with no luck

I've got an update. It's not the same tab that broke last time. The JB weld held on the one, but the other tab broke. I would definitely reattach it, but when the screw let go, the mirror was dangling out of the housing by the wires, so the broken piece blew out. I'm considering just JB welding the mirror part to the housing on the broken tab. There really shouldn't be a reason that I would ever have to take it off anyway. I've done some more looking around as well, and the only way to truly fix it is to replace the entire mirror, which costs way too much. Thank you guys for your help though!

I took a nail, and bent it, then heated it with a torch and pushed it into the mirror motor assembly, then covered it with a JB weld, then filed off the JB weld and opened a hole to match the old loop. See photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom