Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:lol: Definitely won’t be relatively reasonable.
Maybe I don’t want to know. But I do, what’s the damage? First and second borne? A limb? My balls? You’re gonna have to get those from my spousal unit.
Break the suspense and hit me with it.

Maybe I don’t want to know. But I do, what’s the damage? First and second borne? A limb? My balls? You’re gonna have to get those from my spousal unit.
Break the suspense and hit me with it.

If you are serious, contact me directly.

It’s time for a brake system overhaul. I will have to load the rest of the pics mañana but here are a few to get started. Oh and some axle and SST pics. All parts used are OEM

I need to add a thank you @Onur, @BILT4ME & @baldilocks for their assist in answering my silly questions. From the rear axle, to caliper paint, to type of calipers, my amateur questions are never ending.
72DD520E-B241-490C-948E-7F071FA9E394.jpeg
01133790-E246-4B0B-8E18-D1BD8A311583.jpeg

0942858D-ABA1-40CB-B99A-635F545062CD.jpeg

1A7810DD-39C8-4894-860D-68999667B797.jpeg

1384AD13-2D22-4213-BEA3-3BABFB2175C8.jpeg

1539137D-1393-42E1-B26C-E082C94AF932.jpeg
787EAE08-9D60-466C-B712-49D91210CE0E.jpeg

57312541-8E9D-42C3-8B34-430C46EE9453.jpeg

FA99387A-C774-4C85-BEF8-97043DA45775.jpeg

Last edited:
Now comes the PITA bleeding. New calipers = lots of air. My motive power bleeder is great as long as it seats well on top of the MC. Otherwise I piss brake fluid all over the damn place. Yes, I did do the dry leak down test at 10psi. But as soon as I fill the tank with fluid and go up to 15psi, I have brake fluid raining down like men in the song by The Weather Girls.

Ran 8 bottles through last night, I still have a long ways to go.

Looking good. Enjoy that shiny caliper while you can. Will you share which flavor of rotors, pads and calipers you chose? I'm assuming the green pads are the Toyota flavor...

Looking good. Enjoy that shiny caliper while you can. Will you share which flavor of rotors, pads and calipers you chose? I'm assuming the green pads are the Toyota flavor...
Greg, I updated the post above to state all parts used are OEM, including the brake pads. I didn’t mess around with 100 series pads because I’m not convinced there is any gain with slightly more surface area. Probably none/negligible. If I get a 100 series I’ll get 100 series pads😎.

3F917BE7-AC1F-42D2-9BAE-8E5907C3E06C.jpeg

That's exactly what I was asking, though I was curious about the calipers. Thanks for answering! Did you also rebuild your rear axle (new bearings, seals, etc?

As for the 100 series pads, I might try them next, but my understanding is that the pads are hard to install on brand new rotors anyway. I actually think time spent getting the LSPV bled and adjusted is where I really need to spend some time.

That's exactly what I was asking, though I was curious about the calipers. Thanks for answering! Did you also rebuild your rear axle (new bearings, seals, etc?

As for the 100 series pads, I might try them next, but my understanding is that the pads are hard to install on brand new rotors anyway. I actually think time spent getting the LSPV bled and adjusted is where I really need to spend some time.
I mainly took apart the rear axle to inspect. Replaced all the consumables but the bearings and seals etc were in perfect condition. I have a new set already packed with grease sitting in baggies along with all the consumables. Maybe one day they’ll need replacing.

As for the brake pads, again I’m not sure they’re worth the effort to fit 100 series pads. There are many mixed reviews. I’ll stick with what Toyota decided was suited for my cruiser.

Agreed with the proper bleed, makes a huge difference.

Another point I’d like to make is the front brake caliper part numbers I provided in the picture,
47730-60061 and 47750-60061 are supposedly 95-97 model year specific (?). Every website I went to stated these didn’t fit my 94 but after some research here on mud i bought them. Bottom line, I can’t tell a difference and they fit perfectly.

Don't do the 100 series pads on these.

I have done it a couple times and it provides no benefit and the fight to get them to fit "properly" and such is too much of a PITA.

Also, if you really dig into the engineering of it, it is actually making your braking worse by installing the 100 series pads. It still works, but actually gives the opposite effect one would think it would achieve.

Greg, I updated the post above to state all parts used are OEM, including the brake pads. I didn’t mess around with 100 series pads because I’m not convinced there is any gain with slightly more surface area. Probably none/negligible. If I get a 100 series I’ll get 100 series pads😎.

View attachment 2787800
If you haven't, I recommend new soft lines from calipers to body. I have a similar pile of parts in queue and my lines look past expiration, so I grabbed them as well.

If you haven't, I recommend new soft lines from calipers to body. I have a similar pile of parts in queue and my lines look past expiration, so I grabbed them as well.
Already did it a few months back. Got the extended OEM brake lines. My wife thinks I’m the king of efficiency but only if she knew. :p
Smart longevity move by getting the new OEM parts versus the reman parts.

:clap:

Solid.
Onur, I learned from the best! Besides, the cost difference between reman and OEM is not that great a gap. If I have the option, OEM it will always be. For those of you out there who will judge, yes, I’m an OEM fanboy. Sue me :flipoff2:

Its not hard to be an OEM fanboy if you bought an old neglected land cruiser and have to start replacing parts on a baseline and then wonder...this part is 27 years old...it has 235k miles on it...and I'm only replacing it because it's old...it still works. These trucks are old enough that the ones that are one or two owner and haven't been built are a time capsule of parts longevity. It's also pretty amazing to read back through the 80 series tech posts in the mid 2000's and see this playing out 15 years ago. So I'm with you Pell. Or maybe its our niche 93-94 flavor that makes us so loyal to the red and white boxes (except for brake components which are only for Lexus).

...Plus Ounr says its true. so there. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom