1993 FZJ70 Overheating 1FZJ-F engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, could use some help. I’ve been working with a local import shop to address my overheating issue. They come highly recommended and seem quite competent. They have been working on my FZJ the past few weeks and tried many things (Cap, thermosta, fan, new lines/gaskets, etc.). Compression test checks out fine (170-180) but she is still showing bubbles. Is burping fine (even burped at a 20-30 degree angle to make sure) but after running idle for 30-40 minutes still shows bubbles and runs hot again. We have even tried bypassing everything to shorten the path and still get the bubbles and overheating.

We are thinking Upper Head cleaning (could be pitted but try replacing gasket first) . Been looking online but can’t seem to find an Upper Engine Gasket Kit fo the 1FZJ-F. Any ideas?

Greg

Test coolant for oil contamination. Should confirm head gasket. Most likely head gasket failure. Common issue.

Checked the radiator hoses to make sure not strangled but have the metal coils to keep from compressing. We replaced the water pump and the no contamination (no oil, looked good). Thinking just because it's getting past the compression part of the gasket doesn't mean it has to go to the oil journal.

We put clear hoses to see circulation and have done multiple overnight cooldowns on an incline and still have it pushing coolant and getting air bubbles after 45 minutes of running. I have bled the system at the heater core hoses to remove extra air as well.

Check oil in your coolant. Not coolant in your oil. Google it. There is a test to do.

Seems like all fingers point to head gasket replacement. I’m hearing head gasket kit and bolt kit are the same ones as the 80 Series. Going to try that… thanks for the help.

@FJBen Thanks for the heads up. Will work the radiator as well.

will update the group shortly… Greg

How is the fan clutch? Its worth a check . A basic check is to spin it with your fingers, it should stop immediately when you let go of it. But I also think its pointing to a head or gasket problem. If so, make sure the head is checked for warpage and planed if neccessary.

Work in progress on the Head Gasket work. Found some surprises along the way. Reposting some pics.
Machine shop working on valve job, check guides, fix intake and exhaust ports vat, deck, set lash and new valve seals. Also replacing water pump, fan clutch and radiator just in case. Good times...
Oh and yes that is a piece of wood we found and yes those are pieces of beer cans...
Special thanks to Controlled Motors in Alpharetta, GA for the hard work and help with this… Derrick is awesome.

11CBA1EF-0ACF-45B2-98B8-A50921FAF599.jpeg

418318D2-FD7E-455A-8691-855EF9816B94.jpeg

73D0219E-77A1-4E2A-918E-66969E6DB1EC.jpeg

90C4F86E-13FC-4E8A-A438-BE17D81BC15B.jpeg

3EC529B4-73B3-4AC7-8D2C-C99E841BFE0E.jpeg

@MassiveWoo …. “Oh and yes that is a piece of wood we found and yes those are pieces of beer cans”.
—————————————————————————
You have got to give the previous owner credit for being interested in recycling. 😊

what the heck was the wood "plugging"

oh and are you gonna rebuild or do ya want to sell that engine?

Just as I suspected, a Venezuelan truck. I was about to suggest checking for minerals/buildup/clogs on the cooling system given that most Venezuelans run straight tap water in the cooling system (distilled water if you're lucky). The spacer/seal cut out of a Polar beer can is a classic....

Sadly, the socio-economic condition in Venezuela over the last 20 years has led to too many of these examples. Even scrupulous sellers are unlikely to know about these creative "fixes", but EVERYONE on this forum should assume that Venezuelan Cruiserheads have had to make do with parts shortages/unavailability (or simply too expensive), questionable/creative fixes for a long time. Then there are unscrupulous seller trying to make a quick fortune in US dollars by flipping questionable rigs.

Sounds like your truck is in good hands so I hope everything get resolved and you can go back to enjoying your rare rig!!

what the heck was the wood "plugging"

oh and are you gonna rebuild or do ya want to sell that engine?
There were several plugs or clogs. I can’t remember this specific one. The plan is to get everything sorted and keep this engine. Compression tested well and there doesn't seem to be any cracks.

Just as I suspected, a Venezuelan truck. I was about to suggest checking for minerals/buildup/clogs on the cooling system given that most Venezuelans run straight tap water in the cooling system (distilled water if you're lucky). The spacer/seal cut out of a Polar beer can is a classic....

Sadly, the socio-economic condition in Venezuela over the last 20 years has led to too many of these examples. Even scrupulous sellers are unlikely to know about these creative "fixes", but EVERYONE on this forum should assume that Venezuelan Cruiserheads have had to make do with parts shortages/unavailability (or simply too expensive), questionable/creative fixes for a long time. Then there are unscrupulous seller trying to make a quick fortune in US dollars by flipping questionable rigs.

Sounds like your truck is in good hands so I hope everything get resolved and you can go back to enjoying your rare rig!!
So true...new radiator and fan clutch arrived over the weekend. Hopefully we’ll be able to her trail ready before the end of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom