2LT engine overheating after installing AC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone! I find myself in need of some advice. I have a ‘91 LJ73 with the 2LT engine. I just had an air conditioning system installed on my car, which came off an LJ70 with the same engine. Everything seems to be functional in terms of cold air blowing inside the car, the problem being that whenever i turn the AC on, the engine starts overheating. That does not only happen when i’m at a stop, but also while driving. Before installing the AC ststem I had recently changed all the cooling system hoses, got a new radiator, new cap, new thermostat, flushed the whole system. Did anyone have this issue after installing air conditioning on their car? Any help would be appreciated.

The newly installed AC condenser is probably blocking air flow to the Rad.
Thank you! If this was the case, shouldn’t the overheating occur even with the a/c off? The engine only overheats when i turn the a/c on and temperature goes back to normal after i turn it off.

When the ac is on, the hot freon refrigerant makes the ac condenser radiator hot.
The air goes through the hot condenser, becomes warmer, then goes through your coolant radiator.

Since the ac system came from another LT engine, it seems like this should not be enough to make the engine overheat.

When the ac is on, the hot freon refrigerant makes the ac condenser radiator hot.
The air goes through the hot condenser, becomes warmer, then goes through your coolant radiator.

Since the ac system came from another LT engine, it seems like this should not be enough to make the engine overheat.
I touched the condenser and it didn’t seem too hot. I could easily keep my hand on it. It was indeed a hot day (32 degrees Celsius), but I think it should be able to handle that, after all I need to use the AC when it’s hot outside. Is it possible that the water pump’s functionality is diminished when the compressor comes on?

Yes, do this ^^. Likely the fan is not drawing enough/

I notice my coolant gets hotter with A/C on too. But usually only noticeable under the most harsh circumstances like towing a caravan on hot summer days.

I've though of removing my A/C to help the engine, but the idea of not having A/C on 35C+ days is not very enticing. Let the engine suffer so I can be in comfort, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom