1993 80 Series Won't Turn Over (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

Got a question for you! I've talked on here before of the old land cruiser a friend gave me. It's a '93 80 series with 460,000 miles on it. It ran great when I brought it home, other than a high idle. I gutted the interior (as it was repulsive), pulled the battery tray and air box to further investigate the condition of everything. I needed to move it this last weekend and when I got her all put back together (mechanically), she won't turn over.

Here's a link to a video I recorded of the sound it'll make when I try to crank it, if it helps.

The battery is good (brand new!), I just put some fresh fuel in it. I did crack the air hose connecting the mass air flow sensor and the intake manifold, but I used another piece I had from another project that fits pretty well to make do for now (just to seal it up), so I figured that would be good enough for moving it 50 feet.

I haven't dismantled anything involving the engine other than removing and reinstalling the air box and the battery tray. Any idea what I should check to diagnose this issue? At least enough to get to it run a little bit? Next year I'll have some extra money and I can begin digging into this thing. I plan to pull the engine and give it a thorough clean up, but I just need to get it "good enough" for now.

Any ideas?

Measure the voltage **AT** the battery when cranking. If good (sounds like the battery if flat though), then check the cable from the battery to starter motor (big positive cable), cable from battery to chassis (big ground cable) AND your fusible links.

cheers,
george.

That is the classic bad/discharged battery sound. If the battery is good, it might be a bad cable connection, a bad starter or remotely possibly something has cause the engine to be hard to turn.

Awesome tips! I'll check it and report back! The battery has to be fine...after I got it home from PA I took the battery out and put it on my Battery Tender Plus. It's a brand new Kirkland battery, and they're pretty solid batteries for standard applications.

Two things come to mind.

Dirty battery connections:
Clean all the battery connections as well as the positive wire at the starter. Use dielectric grease on all your connections to help continuity. You may want to replace the fusible links at this time they are only $12-15.00 at Toyota. They become very brittle with time and are cheap preventive maintenance. Three small wires of positive battery terminal.

Bad starter:
Take it to any auto parts store and they can check it for you.

Will it start with a jump?
This would indicate or lead you to starter failure.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Hey guys, it turns out my brand-new battery was completely dead! I got a new battery, new battery terminals, cleaned up the wires and it's right as rain now! Thanks for all the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom