Wanted 1992 PZJ77 worth buying? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Mileage
Hello all, had a few questions about this beauty of a vehicle here, so hopefully someone can chime in with some insight 😁

Recently listed for sale in my area is this super cool 1PZJ77 for $17000, ~125k miles. I went to go check it out in person as I am considering buying and had a few concerns so hopefully you guys can help me out!

First, I inspected the underside and noticed quite a bit of rust on the frame and the chassis. I didn't take pictures, but various smallish spots where rusting was already beginning to eat through the steel. I noticed in some areas it was already beginning to chip as well. Small rust patches on the body near the rear wheel on the driver's side as well.

Next, I noticed some fluid leaking from the front diff. Which leads me to one of my biggest concerns on sourcing parts. I've called around local shops and it seems like very few people in my area know how to work on this engine, and I hear that parts have to come straight from Japan. I am fairly mechanically inclined myself, I currently daily a 2012 tundra 5.7l 4wd, and do all the routine maintenance/80% of repairs myself. Some insight into this would be very helpful as well!

Mechanically I didn't see any issues under the hood. I did get a chance to drive it around, and it definitely felt a little wobbly going about 50+mph. Transmission and motor run extremely well, and the 4wd and lockers work with no issue.

Interior is a good 7/10, definitely shows some age but that's to be expected with these older cruisers.

Overall, it's damn fun to drive and runs exceptionally well. My biggest concerns though are the rust (I am in the desert, so it may slow it down, but definitely going to be an issue down the road) and the general lack of knowledge surrounding these peculiar lil yotas. I actually had to dig through these forums beforehand which did provide a wealth of knowledge. Would be a fun weekend warrior for sure, although I'm not sure about the price.

TL;DR
Mechanically looks and drives good, however multiple rust patches on frame slight rust on body and general lack of knowledge on the engine and parts in my area has me concerned on price. Worth it? What's a fair price in your opinion?

Any and all feedback is much appreciated! 😁🤘

Screenshot_20221009_235932_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221009_235954_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221010_000001_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221009_235946_Facebook.jpg

20220622_173145.jpg

Hard to say without knowing how bad the frame rust really is. Given that you consider it to be significant, as in actually eating through the frame, it sounds like it's not worth anywhere near the asking price. Definitely should not be wobbly at 50+, so needs front end work. The engine has a good reputation. It's basically the same as the Toyota HZ, minus one cylinder. Locally available parts most likely can't be found, but there are online sources for them. If you're interested in an old diesel cruiser, another option would be to look for a 60 series with a diesel engine transplant. Then you'd have LHD, a big advantage over right hand drive IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom