1992 LJ70 tachometer issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this truck a couple years ago the tach has never worked. This truck originally had the 2L-T and the previous owner had put in a 3L from a Hilux and kept the turbo from the 2L-T. The 3L has a mechanical injection pump but I’m not sure the generation or what year hilux it came out of,and I’m not sure what sensor I could use to try and hook up to the original tach. I feel like the people that did that swap didn’t feel like going the extra mile and have the tach work in the dash or it might be a big pain in the a$$ to get working. If it’s too complicated I’ll just throw in an after market tach and be done with it. Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated here’s the plate inside the engine bay if that helps.
D6E0B808-573A-4259-BEF6-F35400E69F1B.jpeg

A LJ70 from factory would likely have a mechanical speedo cable from the transfer gear box to the tachometer.
So, if your instrument cluster is LJ70 stock, still, it is likely to have the mechanical tachometer, still. I don't think there is a way to hook up an electric sensor to it.
It all depends on what transfer case now is in the truck (after that engine swap) and whether that has a mounting point for a mechanical speedo cable at all.
If, along the 3L engine, also the gearbox from the Hilux was implanted, this might not be the case. (I have no knowledge on 3L gearboxes and respective tachometer sensor technology).
If the original LJ70 gearbox was kept, there should be something attached to that speedo drive, in order to not have an uncovered opening in the tranny.
So, get under the truck and check what tranny it is. The speedo cable would mount to the transfer case on the left hand side. It is quite obvious to recognize.
Cheers Ralf

Hello mate, did you get this to work? I am having difficulties with the Tach after converting from EFI to manual pump on my 2LTE Prado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom