1992 Hdj81v diesel Land Cruiser...Does anyone know what type of transfer case oil???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys!!! I have a 1992 Hdj81v diesel Land Cruiser...Does anyone know what type of transfer case oil my truck takes????

I am also currious as to what type of transmition oil i should run for the automatic transmition. Also a good brand name if anyone knows???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!:bang:

Castrol TQ Dexron111 in the auto [think 6 liters from memory]
Not 100% sure but don't the transfer boxes on the autos run Dexrin 111 also? [check this]
I have not worked on an auto only manual 5 speed 150/151 HDJ and HZJ Diesels.

Dexron III ATF in the tranny. Brand is your choice. There are some here that will swear by synthetic, but the cost is pretty big so that's your choice. It will take about 6 litres if you drain the plug. Actual capacity is more like about 13 if you do a flush.

Transfer case is just gear oil. 80w90. It takes about 1.7 litres.

Cheers

I bought 11 bottle of synth with my last truck and it took 10.5 for the diffs and the trans case from what I can remember.

ATF Dextron 3 but its now dextron 4 because they don't make dextron 3 anymore. You could do a whole flush or you could do a series of drain, fill, drive, repeat......

Thats a good time to add a trans temp gauge...... and a pyro if you haven't already done so.
And a cooler if you don't have an auxiliary one if you are towing at all.

I used Valvoline High Mileage ATF for the transmission (it is synthetic based but not fully synthetic). It cost ~ $18 for a 5L jug at the time. I replaced the AT fluid two years ago and it has been fine till now, no leaks of any kind and running strong and clean for 34,000 km so far. The fresh fluid also cured a hard shifting problem along with adjusting the kick-down cable.

For the center differential, I used Redline 80W90 gear oil (fully synthetic). Because it is such a small amount that goes in the center diff (~ 1.7L), I thought I would spend the extra buck and get something more fancy like Redline. It only took less than 2 quart bottles to fill it up. No leaks so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom