1988 HJ75 Electrical issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My HJ75 grew a issue need help with, under electrical load there is a clicking from under the dash and the truck lurches with it while moving. The electrical load while it was clicking was wipers and headlamps

Resent changes new battery single BCI group 27 AGM vs two wet cell group 27, and upgraded H4 headlamp harness powered off the power port.

I am thinking its a charging system issue, please advise

and the truck lurches with it while moving

I don't think a charging issue would cause that. Maybe something to do with EDIC on the fuel pump.

EDIC and fueling was my first idea, but it build revs fine, and with out the electrical load its fine. is there a EDIC relay under the dash?

also the dash gauge dips with the clicking from under the dash

Am currently investigating both EDIC and wiring

Last edited:
Step one: identify the relay that’s tripping. If this is a 2H, my guess would be the EDIC controller. It’s on the left side behind the plastic kick cover. Mine was an issue from water dripping on it from a rust hole above.

If you have an EDIC, remove the arm, this should put the injection pump in run mode. If it drives well, then that's the issue, it should pull off quite easily as it is a ball and socket.
I used an old farm country TV repair man to resolder an Edic I once swamped.

So I pulled the EDIC and its controller. Controller looked clean. EDIC unit had crappy grease in it and some corrosion, nothing crazy.
Re-installed it all and it still does the pulsed cutout.
my next thought is that the alternator is going out, battery shows its getting 14.25v, so IDK. next stop is to clean up the harness

runs easy with out the edic hooked up.

Last edited:
So I pulled the EDIC and its controller. Controller looked clean. EDIC unit had crappy grease in it and some corrosion, nothing crazy.
Re-installed it all and it still does the pulsed cutout.
my next thought is that the alternator is going out, battery shows its getting 14.25v, so IDK. next stop is to clean up the harness
Did you try driving with the control arm disconnected.
If I drives well when disconnected then move to edic control relay.

no changes to the system... drove home in the rain. no issues running the lights and wipers. the dash gauge dipped low, but no pulsed cutting out from the edic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom