1986? 2L-T help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I bought a 2LT with a 5spd tranny a while back and thought I might use it for a project (FJ40). Anyways since I started looking at it I realized I’m missing the belts and the tensioning bracket for the alternator as well as the tensioning pulley for the power steering? Pump. I’m attaching pics. Can anyone help me with part numbers for these parts as well as where I can source them from? I can’t even find a diagram that says what the components are on the engine. Also from the pics I posted. What is the component attached to the back of the alternator? It appears to be an oil pump but I thought that was inside the oil pan? And is the component under the alternator? Is it the power steering pump? Thank you for the help!
6BDD4210-D4B5-4148-839C-DDE24BD637A3.jpeg
9CF5604A-9BC1-4DA4-A815-E8503426FCC6.jpeg
EAEE5C79-5F35-4D05-AE20-F1CA0438523C.jpeg
78584EBF-E4EB-4441-9D79-CE5E37AA8369.jpeg

@eaglewix , you are in the correct spot. Welcome.
The power "vane" steering pump looks in tact.
It is easy to source the belts, bracket/tensioner may be a littler harder to find.
You will need a fan as well it looks like.

Let me dig up some part numbers for you for the belts.
Or if you are bored, go to Megazip.net or PartSouq.com and type in the year.
There are diagrams there.

@eaglewix , you are in the correct spot. Welcome.
The power "vane" steering pump looks in tact.
It is easy to source the belts, bracket/tensioner may be a littler harder to find.
You will need a fan as well it looks like.

Let me dig up some part numbers for you for the belts.
Or if you are bored, go to Megazip.net or PartSouq.com and type in the year.
There are diagrams there.
Awesome thank you so much! I’ll check out those sites. I have a fan that has been taken off until it’s installed. Also, it has been sitting for years after a fresh rebuild from previous owner. What should I do before I try starting it? (Put oil down cylinders some how, etc? Thanks!

What is the component attached to the back of the alternator?
Its a vacuum pump for the brakes and t/case shifter if you have one. Its not uncommon on diesels but most of them run vac pumps directly off the engine these days.
I think they have an oil line for lubrication.

What should I do before I try starting it? (Put oil down cylinders some how, etc? Thanks!

I would pull the glow plugs or injectors out and turn the engine over to make sure there is no water/coolant inside. I forget whether they have glow plugs or glow heater.
Check the timing marks. Get yourself an engine manual.

Its a vacuum pump for the brakes and t/case shifter if you have one. Its not uncommon on diesels but most of them run vac pumps directly off the engine these days.
I think they have an oil line for lubrication.
Oh ok that makes sense. Thanks

I would pull the glow plugs or injectors out and turn the engine over to make sure there is no water/coolant inside. I forget whether they have glow plugs or glow heater.
Check the timing marks. Get yourself an engine manual.
Good idea. I didn’t think of checking/confirming the timing

Well, it looks like you do have a pre-1990 / 1st Gen 2LT. You can tell because the turbo has a flange on it.
Normally it has "Turbo 2L-T" on the Valve Cover, but maybe the guy media blasted things when he re-built it.

1stGEN2LT.jpg

Well, it looks like you do have a pre-1990 / 1st Gen 2LT. You can tell because the turbo has a flange on it.
Normally it has "Turbo 2L-T" on the Valve Cover, but maybe the guy media blasted things when he re-built it.

View attachment 2734768
Ok. So make sure I get the pre 1990
Components. Is it good or bad or indifferent that it’s the pre 1990? Out of curiosity

I’m missing the belts and the tensioning bracket for the alternator as well as the tensioning pulley for the power steering?

The tensioning bracket is discontinued but good ol Amazon has them for $72. Part number
16381-54011
You could probably find a used one if you keep an eye out .

Idler pulley is also discontinued but it looks the same as other landcruisers. But you would need one in hand to be sure. If you had an old worn out one, you can replace the bearing.

This company are saying it fits all these engines inc yours

Air Conditioner Idler Pulley suitable for Landcruiser 1HZ 1HD Hilux 2L 3L 5L 22R
Air Conditioner Idler Pulley suitable for Landcruiser 1HZ 1HD Hilux 2L 3L 5L 22R

1626650799640.png

Last edited:
The tensioning bracket is discontinued but good ol Amazon has them for $72. Part number
16381-54011
You could probably find a used one if you keep an eye out .

Idler pulley is 44350-35010 is also discontiunued but it looks the same as other landcruisers. But you would need one in hand to be sure.

View attachment 2734789
Awesome. Thank you so much!

Pre-1990 , is the first generation head, rocker arm, & valve train. The parts are getting harder to find and the parts you have are older. None of these engines are fast. 1st or 2nd gen make around 90HP. Just don't expect great acceleration and to go 70mph on the highway, and it will probably serve most of your needs if it involves trail running and light 4 wheeling.

I looked the tensioner bracket part number on Amazon and it says 39$ and out of stock. Is it USA Amazon or another country?
I forget, but you just get the part number and put it into google and see what pops up.
Just checked , its US amazon in AUD with postage. So $39USD is what you pay (if they had it)

Pre-1990 , is the first generation head, rocker arm, & valve train. The parts are getting harder to find and the parts you have are older. None of these engines are fast. 1st or 2nd gen make around 90HP. Just don't expect great acceleration and to go 70mph on the highway, and it will probably serve most of your needs if it involves trail running and light 4 wheeling.
Ok. Yeah I’m mainly building a cruiser right now. Around town. Top speed will probably be 50.

If you put Toyota Bundeera LJ70 into your search , the belts will pop up
Bundeera is what Toyota called them in Australia.
Like this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom