1985 land cruiser stalls in rough terrain. Help! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1985 land cruiser that stalls everytime it bottoms out crossing creek bed or washout. It starts right back up. I don't know if I'm losing fire or ground. I'm thinking ground. I have cleaned ground from battery to fender and block and from firewall to head. Still stalls. All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Clean and inspect your battery terminals and ground wires. Consider getting some 4 gage marine cable and making up extra grounds to connect the engine to the frame and frame to the battery. Won’t hurt to make a second wire from the alternator to battery power too.

make sure your distributor bolt hasn’t loosened (unlikely). Check your plug leads to make sure they are tight and not damaged.

Going on the idea that it might be electrical-

Uplug and carefully inspect the fusible link connector. Look for charred plastic, blackened terminals or corrosion.

Check all obvious electrical connections (battery, body ground). The battery terminal clamps can seem tight but have poor contact. Remove them, clean them up & the battery lugs.

With engine idling and parked, try tapping any suspect wiring junction with an insulated rod (dowel, PVC pipe) to see if you can duplicate the problem when not rolling. Definitely try jiggling the fusible link connection when idling.
If something you tap kills the engine- you found the culprit

Clean and inspect your battery terminals and ground wires. Consider getting some 4 gage marine cable and making up extra grounds to connect the engine to the frame and frame to the battery. Won’t hurt to make a second wire from the alternator to battery power too.

make sure your distributor bolt hasn’t loosened (unlikely). Check your plug leads to make sure they are tight and not damaged.
Ok thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom