Builds 1985 4Runner: 35s, No Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With a little work i was able to make mine clear. Got a little poser no life 35s shot for yall.

4XnnHWRl.jpg
If you don’t mind me asking what all did you have to do?

If you don’t mind me asking what all did you have to do?
Ill get into a little more detail when i can take some pics but really im running the fenders cut all to hell and 1.5 wheel spacers all the way around with 2015 stock 16in taco wheels. With better suited wheels i could turn better but the future setup they will work better. My s***s rusty as hell so im not scared to put the death wheel to it.

Thread title is no longer applicable for me. I rode in an FJ60 and realized that leaf sprung ride doesn't have to be brutal. After returning from a Moab/Colorado wheeling trip with a sore back I started researching and collecting suspension parts. The rig will end up linked eventually, but it is my daily driver right now and I don't have the time or money to start that project. So the interim solution is an OME light kit in the front and Chevy 63 springs with 12" Bilsteins out back. Flex and ride quality are so much better. It wheeled like a brick before. It's not even close to maxed out in the shot on the stairs. All of that trimming to make the 35s fit on stock springs means that there is plenty of uptravel. Center of gravity is still relatively low; roof is same height as a stock JK. I can't wait to get down to Hotsprings for the southern cruiser crawl to test out the new setup on the trails.

IMG_6353.jpg

IMG_6354.jpg

IMG_6355.jpg

Do you have any more pictures of the tailgate swap? What did you have to cut/weld/fabricate?

Brian

Do you have any more pictures of the tailgate swap? What did you have to cut/weld/fabricate?

Brian

The pickup tailgate hinges are on the bottom instead of the sides like the 4Runner ones. So I cut out a 3/16" plate to bridge the gap between the stock floor and pickup tailgate as well as provide mounting points for the hinges. Then I reinforced that plate with a strip of angle iron on the bottom, drilled holes for the hinges, and welded it to the body. A few magnetic welding clamps and some tall jack stands come in handy for trying to get the new tailgate lined up. Next I removed the taillights and drilled holes and welded captive nuts for the latches and links. Then all that is left is to chop the quarter panels to match the tailgate. Hope that helps.

IMG_20180917_164919243.jpg

IMG_20180917_164950634.jpg

IMG_20180917_165024372.jpg

IMG_20180917_165035584.jpg

The pickup tailgate hinges are on the bottom instead of the sides like the 4Runner ones. So I cut out a 3/16" plate to bridge the gap between the stock floor and pickup tailgate as well as provide mounting points for the hinges. Then I reinforced that plate with a strip of angle iron on the bottom, drilled holes for the hinges, and welded it to the body. A few magnetic welding clamps and some tall jack stands come in handy for trying to get the new tailgate lined up. Next I removed the taillights and drilled holes and welded captive nuts for the latches and links. Then all that is left is to chop the quarter panels to match the tailgate. Hope that helps.

View attachment 1791716

View attachment 1791717

View attachment 1791718

View attachment 1791719

Thanks!

Looks like you got to keep the 4R latches to use as tie down loops? If so - win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom