1981 Pick-up Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@TeddyBoy

As we've discussed, I'm wanting to make the jump to full hydro. You got some parts info or specs for the pieces you and John are running? I've looked at the kits and I already have about half of the parts when I added power steering, so I figured I might be able to reduce the cost of the swap by piecemealing. Mainly interested in:

Double ended ram - looks like 2 inch cylinder with a 6" throw is what most are using on toyota axles (I can find rams, but seeing if that's what you guys are running).

Orbital + brackets - this is where I'm getting a little lost in the noise and probably a spot where $ can be saved. I can get this from TG but figured you guys had hacked some cheap forklift stuff for this.

Thanks in advance!

John and I are both running the 8" TG double ended ram. I bought the TG kit, because I found it on sale Black Friday of last year. I would recommend you getting either a PSC or TG orbital. TG has an adapter to connect to your steering linkage and a bracket for installing the orbital and it takes the guesswork out. Ted and John are both running forklift orbitals. Another aspect is the increased fluid reservoir. I know Ted and John both enlarged their fluid reservoirs, my kit came with a massive reservoir.

Full hydro is the bomb!! You'll kick yourself for waiting.

John and I initially piece milled our systems together using Toyota forklift components including ram and orbital for roughly $400. We sourced most of the parts locally through a forklift mechanic that John knew but that source is no longer available.

I have 2 pieces of advice: 1) go double ended ram and 2) DO NOT use a cheap rebuilt pump from Autozone or similar... Yes you'll need a larger reservoir but that can be fabricated and installing a cooler is also a big help.

All that said the easiset path forward is to buy a kit like Nick did. If ya dont want to go that route let me know and I'll try to fill in the blanks for you.

Thanks guys!

I bought the TG power steering kit previously. So I already have the high flow pump, reservoir, and cooler that are included with the TG full hydro kit. It seems that buying the orbital and ram separate + hydro lines adds up to damn near close to the full hydro kit which is why I was asking.

Did you guys have to limit the stroke of the ram? I thought John was shearing his knuckle studs because the ram was pushing past his steering stops?

I'm off to do a little more research and pricing.

Guess I can’t give the wife s*** about all the shoes in her closet anymore...
5A2D00E5-C229-413B-B403-2053A1A2084C.jpeg

Ooo, treps! Very nice

Wait until she gets the credit card statment for the 6 shooters, wheels, hydro steering and RCVs. :cry::cry:

I'll trade you a set of iroks and tsls for them...

In looking at all the upgrades, I was contemplating the same thing.

um can i refuse the iroks?? When I posted that I was half kidding but not sure that I am now.

Just for the sake of it I just rebuilt my front axle , it includes:
  1. Heavily trussed, armored and reinforced housing both along the tubes and knuckles. Added 2" sight cap on diff housing
  2. 1.5" wheel spacers
  3. 2 year old 6-shooter knuckles
  4. new RCV axles (purchased 11/19) have 2 trails on them
  5. New chromo hub gears
  6. 6 cyl 3.73 differentials
  7. 4 trailgear 6-lug aluminum beadlocks
  8. already setup for hydro steering but I'd keep the ram
Obviously I wouldnt need the wheels anymore (but you do) cuz I'd be on the hunt for 8 lug... I dont know, been threatening tons for years.

Would be bolt in and you could be rollin on 40s by Sunday. :popcorn:

thoughts???

Last edited:
um can i refuse the iroks?? When I posted that I was half kidding but not sure that I am now.

Just for the sake of it I just rebuilt my front axle , it includes:
  1. Heavily trussed, armored and reinforced housing both along the tubes and knuckles. Added 2" sight cap on diff housing
  2. 1.5" wheel spacers
  3. 2 year old 6-shooter knuckles
  4. new RCV axles (purchased 11/19) have 2 trails on them
  5. New chromo hub gears
  6. 6 cyl 3.73 differentials
  7. 4 trailgear 6-lug aluminum beadlocks
  8. already setup for hydro steering but I'd keep the ram
Obviously I wouldnt need the wheels anymore (but you do) cuz I'd be on the hunt for 8 lug... I dont know, been threatening tons for years.

Would be bolt in and you could be rollin on 40s by Sunday. :popcorn:

thoughts???

I wonder if tons will help you keep your motor together too... :hmm:

I would have to agree with @TeddyBoy. Maybe build some kind of tube roll over protection coming off front bumper over tire down to rock sliders. Go ahead and slide your headlights to the center of the grill and get rid of the side marker/turn signals. Make sure you tie your new tubing to the inside cage somehow as well. It' going to look good when you get it done. I got to say I really miss being out there with y'all. Maybe one day I'll be able to play again.

I would have to agree with @TeddyBoy. Maybe build some kind of tube roll over protection coming off front bumper over tire down to rock sliders. Go ahead and slide your headlights to the center of the grill and get rid of the side marker/turn signals. Make sure you tie your new tubing to the inside cage somehow as well. It' going to look good when you get it done. I got to say I really miss being out there with y'all. Maybe one day I'll be able to play again.

I was contemplating a lot of this yesterday and I like your ideas. I guess there’s no time better than the present to figure out how to bend tube.

We’d love to get you back out - we’ll save you a seat!

Oh i can tell you. Measure 3x and guesstimate your bend, cut to fit. Test fit picece 6x and modify as needed, then realize you bent too much and cut too short. Discard to scrap pile and start again.:slap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom