1981 Pick-up Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got it done, kind of. Shakedown run lasted all of about 100 yds until I lost drive to the rear axle. Thought I blew the rear diff that we fixed at AOP when all of this back half adventure started. Pulled it apart today, and apparently the pinion flange that came with my new gear set (Yukon brand) is bigger than the input splines on the pinion (unknown brand but not stock). We had to rob the new flange to get the new driveshaft to work because the pattern was different than the flange on the old diff. The teeth on one or both stripped slightly under load, of we’re just too different in size, and no drive. Thanks @jynx and @Mrsjynx for trying to save the weekend!

F1B87731-263B-4BDF-BB58-D7094A8F166E.jpeg

Still enjoyed riding bitch even though it was cold as ballz.

92567779-8A0A-4B56-A778-E6897F517AE1.jpeg

584F4562-0593-4358-8C6A-933F62679396.jpeg

@tgreco I recognize that purple propane tank! Glad it wasn't the gears, but that sounds like a much more interesting fix. A lot of odd stars had to align for that to all go down.

Truck looks great. What kind of shocks did you end up with out back? Hopefully we'll see you guys at chocco in a few months.

Also, is that Nick's truck behind yours? Haven't seen it in a long time if it is. It still looked like a 4runner the last time I saw it.

@tgreco I recognize that purple propane tank! Glad it wasn't the gears, but that sounds like a much more interesting fix. A lot of odd stars had to align for that to all go down.

Truck looks great. What kind of shocks did you end up with out back? Hopefully we'll see you guys at chocco in a few months.

Also, is that Nick's truck behind yours? Haven't seen it in a long time if it is. It still looked like a 4runner the last time I saw it.

Shocks are 16” Fox 2.0. Thanks to Randy for helping tune them. His trick is to ditch the stock oil (7w) and run heavier weight motorcycle fork oil (20w). And that is your propane tank!

1A8F8F16-FDEB-47C8-A96F-B078473F1DE0.jpeg

That is Nick’s. It’s 4 linked front and rear now. He’s put a bunch of work into it and pretty much has it dialed in.

13FB1E0A-5471-4053-8091-6EB3A0DB40C2.jpeg

We tried! We would have driven down your replacement if we could have found it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom