1976 FJ40 Adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if someone else will do a trip to buy a car,suv or another 4x4 besides a Toyota Land Cruiser,put on the first site all the trust on a vehicle that you never even seen it !! Thats only another Cruiser lover will understand... great history

Home at 11:00am this morning. Pics and story to come soon...after I remove the top! My daughter insists! No rest for the weary...and boy am I weary, and partially very sunburned! It was so hot! My garage isn't any better.

Congrats!

I am glad you two mad it home safely! Nothing like riding thru Texas at 55 mph in the summer...with no A/C...in a big steel box.

My FJ40 is still in AZ. That is why I am getting it shipped back to me!

Home at 11:00am this morning. Pics and story to come soon...after I remove the top! My daughter insists! No rest for the weary...and boy am I weary, and partially very sunburned! It was so hot! My garage isn't any better.

Glad ya'll made it home safe.............

take that old heavy metal top off ,and make more pic's and tell us " the rest of the story".........:steer: about your trip.:D

Here are a few more pics from Shane.

1 - [FONT=&quot]Hard top off. It's in perfect shape

2 -[/FONT] The second we got home, my daughter insisted we take the top off...and i had promissed. I enlisted the help of my brother, Joel. Holy crap was this more than a two person job! I thought we were gonna die and the top was gonna crash to the ground! Thank god neither happened.

3 -2 hours outside of san Antonio, the 34 year old odometer flipped for the first time!
photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg

Awesome trip! Glad you guys made it safe! Pagosa is my home town and I hope you guys enjoyed it, inspite of the Rotten egg smell! And Red Mountain pass just about the prettiest pass in the whole world I think. I spent the fourth over there with the wife, the truck and camper, and 'Cruiser. I know what you mean when you say it was a slow trip over the mountain!

I hope you guys make many other wonderful memories!:cheers:

And today, after my great drive, the Land Cruiser won't hold an idle. :(
Change in altitude? Stuck float maybe? It stalled getting coffee today, when I came to a stop. It seemed flooded when I tried to start it...and then a bunch of black smoke came out of the exhaust when it did start. Let the fun begin! Any thoughts?

You are absolutely right! It was spectacular scenery! We've never seen anything like that! Truthfully, we wanted to get out and swim in one of those streams!

Change in altitude? Stuck float maybe? It stalled getting coffee today, when I came to a stop. It seemed flooded when I tried to start it...and then a bunch of black smoke came out of the exhaust when it did start. Let the fun begin! Any thoughts?

did you get it running any better????:meh:

My Cruiser did the same thing earlier this year. One of the vacuum lines that feeds into the carburetor had come off. (orange line in picture)

As soon as I hooked the line back up, the idle returned and the black smoke disappeared. Your problems might be a result of another issue, but it'd be worth it to check the lines.
IMG_4064.jpg

Man oh, man, I am so jealous of your trip!! Hope you guys had fun and your cruiser runs like a champ!

Assassin...still working on it. Replacing all the vacuum lines, fuel lines, and all the hoses. Afraid to start messing with the carb when so many of the hoses are rock hard probably sucking in extra air. It was running so well...until I got it home. I am not a mechanic, but am I on the right track?

Check your carb fan to see if it's working like caddisfly suggested. if you're looking at the engine bay, its in the upper right corner.

I think you are on the right track. I would CAREFULLY remove each vac hose, maybe squirt some pb blaster or goo of your choice, around all the fittings and let penetrate. I dont know what your vac lines are hooked to, hopfully not ancient plastic nipples, those are brittle to. One at a time so you dont get them mixed up. Replace all the hoses. It usually is the small stuff that gets you. I always tend to expect the worse, and them I' m ecstatic when I find something simple. Be patient you'll find that gremlin! :D

Hey guys...I spent the last 2 days replacining every hose under the hood. I really took my time and switched out every vacuum/fluid hose there is...and I cleaned the dirtiest engine compartment ever. After all was done, my excited test drive stalled 1/2 a mile from home. Same exact thing. FJ starts with a rough idle, but warms quickly. I drive a couple of minutes, stop at a light, and it stalls. I have to hold the pedal all the way down, struggle to get it started, and keep my foot on the accelerator to keep it running. I still don't know how to post pics or I would show you what I've done. Any suggestions?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom